The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What might make you lose your faith?

I’d like to think that even if I were the last man on earth I would still have hope, in some form or another… but then that hasn’t happened to me, so I don’t know how I’d respond…

Hope we’ll never experience that kind of situation. My faith isn’t strong enough for world we live in, not to mention any terrible disaster on the earth.

It isn’t so much whether your faith is “strong enough,” but whether God’s grace is strong enough. He gives us faith for the things we ARE facing, and not often (if ever) for the things we IMAGINE facing. Sufficient for the day are the troubles thereof.

I have a friend who used to be fearful (as many young mothers are). It was a revelation to her that she didn’t need to trust God for all the stuff she imagined. God doesn’t ask us to do that, as though the faith came from ourselves. We are only asked to take hold when He reaches out His hand. But even if we don’t take hold? He’ll still grab us by the wrist. What parent wouldn’t, if he were able, pull his little son or daughter out of the miry swamp, even if the kid was in full-blown panic and completely unable to cooperate with his own rescue?