The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Songs of worship, adoration and experience.

Epic post, Matt… :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You’ve expressed so well exactly what I believe and feel (and I liked the tunes you linked to, also. :smiley: )

Oh, dang… just saw we double posted, Kate. Great thoughts on art and I too would love to hear what Cindy thinks. :slight_smile:

Steve

Hi Pilgrim.

I may have inadvertently altered the thread; it is has lately become a thread discussing the merits of secular music; pros and cons. I opened up a can of worms - sorry.

We humans always defend our actions and thinking - right or wrong. Christianity particularly is known for these debates. It is not simple to separate the bone from the marrow, nor the soul from the spirit. There is gratification of the soul and gratification of the flesh. These are not in themselves necessarily wrong, just as people born in the image of God are not necessarily wrong just because they disbelieve in God, or even hate God. Things are sometimes just better or worse by degree. I have resisted living in certain places because of the influences that might impact on my children. I monitor television for the same reason.

It is interesting, on the subject of music and culture, that ancient China, known in ancient times as Seres, had used music as a means of diagnosis of the morals and principals of society. They had an assessor who traveled from village to village to assess the notes and style of music that the village was listening to, and they banned certain types of music based on the moral degeneration affecting the society. Seres was known in history for its noble moral attributes; the early church fathers even spoke of Seres in very high regard for this reason. Today our society has degenerated in the opposite direction to the values of Seres and the early church, and we Christians, unlike the early church fathers, go out and sing, dance and twerk - just as philistines do - instead of being a light to the world and salt to the earth. This is a sign of the end-times, and such things MUST come; but “Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!” (Isaiah 5:20)

As an attempt to bring us back to the intent of the thread, here is another JMT praise song: **Holy is His Name **

youtube.com/watch?v=hFDgJRxrD8g

Steve

Hi Steve,

I know your last post was addressed to Pilgrim but thought I’d respond and say thanks for getting the thread back on track. :smiley: I do think the debate regarding secular vs Christian music (and indeed art of any kind) warrants a thread of it’s own and could be enlightening.

Lovely JMT song! I hadn’t thought about him for ages until this thread and now find he touring almost constantly and will actually be close to where I live in the next year so may have to go see him.

I’ll link to an instrumental banjo song of his from shortly before he converted to Catholicism. I’ve never heard the banjo played like this nor the haunting feeling it invokes. The link says “Mason Proffit” (the band he and his brother were in before becoming Christians), but it’s actually solo JMT from The New Earth album.

By the way, I have to say that Mason Proffit has got to be one of the best country-rock band names ever! Mason…associations with mason jars used for home canning and more notoriously, drinking moonshine out of, associations with masonry/building and also a proper name. Proffitt…of course alludes to “prophet”, but also “profit” and the “incorrect” spelling lends a back-woods, homespun feel to the whole thing. Brilliant!
The Coming youtube.com/watch?v=EatMxZG2fhU

Steve

That’s a beautiful instrumental, Steve, thanks.

Stef

Interesting thread topic, thanks for starting it Pilgrim.

I enjoy a wide variety of songs/music, but in recent years have acquired a particular love of classical ‘sacred music’. In that category I think *Misere *by Allegri (full title Miserere Mei, Deus - Latin for ‘Have mercy on me, O God’) is hard to beat. It’s a setting in Latin of Psalm 51 and I personally find it not only beautiful but also very calming. This recording by UK choir The Sixteen is good, both in quality and in having subtitles showing the English translation. It’s quite long - about 10 minutes - so pick a suitable time and enjoy …
youtube.com/watch?v=fcWo1hKHu40 (Excuse the 20-second ad at the beginning, if it appears.)

Also I find Misere Nostri by Tallis particularly beautiful. It’s also in Latin and the text only uses the three words Miserere nostri, Domine (‘Have mercy on us, O Lord’ - similar to the previous title). It’s short - less than 3 minutes:
youtube.com/watch?v=-5W67uBRZCo

Blessings

Al

That music is breath-taking, AlSmith. The female on the first track, Psalms 51, at 1:44 minutes, is soul capturing. The second song is also grand.

Steve

Oh my!
I sceond Steve, here. Wonderful AlSmith! Absolutely gorgeous…

Steve II

Here’s one of my favourites: Outrageous Grace by Godfrey Birtill

youtube.com/watch?v=hC2vp_Tg_E8

and the same song sung by Michelle Tumes

youtube.com/watch?v=I91rh0dN7VA

Mike

Great song, Mike.

I’ve still to catch up with some of the songs in earlier posts, but have appreciated the ones I’ve heard so far.

Glad you enjoyed those choices (at Songs of worship, adoration and experience.), Steve and Steve II. Yes, the soprano Steve referred to has an amazing voice - her name is Elin Manahan Thomas and some of her solo work is also posted on YouTube.

Another personal favourite of a similar type is Salvator Mundi (‘Saviour of the world’), also by Tallis and sung here again by The Sixteen (from the same concert as the Miserere, I think):
youtube.com/watch?v=EM421mbKubA

Al

Thanks Al, this has inspired me to get some classical CD’s. I am a bit new to this type of music.

Steve

In the tradition of…

Stay With Us - Hymn Adore Te - The Benedictine Nuns of Notre-Dame

youtube.com/watch?v=c1nDjYslyAA

And from a cage:

youtube.com/watch?v=GXqrjhZHUlE

And an interview:

youtube.com/watch?v=EnO_bq2XT8o

Some days (like today), the following says it all for me.
Johnny, if you’re listening, this one’s for you:
youtube.com/watch?v=CAfPBUEtsvY

I hope this song of Tim Minchin’s doesn’t reflect how you or Johnny feel, Pilgrim. This is a reason why music can be so dangerous - it can feed our moments of depression and retrospection. It is an absolutely beautiful song that might inspire you to slit your wrists. I feel very sad for you, brother, if you feel like this. I am not patronizing you, I empathize, as I have been at the crossroads. When you lose someone who is close to you, as you have done, you know the heavy weight of loss that is felt by those who remain. There are children and friends who love you who then start to feel exactly the same way - they too want to go home. It can set off a chain reaction. That is too much to bare. Suicide and depression is a horrid hell for people. I have had too much of this in my life, it is such a terrible encounter.

God Bless
Steve

Hi Steve
I’m sorry that I have been careless in conveying what I wanted to. I did not mean the link to be an anthem to suicide. I see it is an acknowledgement that we are strangers in a strange land. As believers we will be continually misunderstood by the world, and as a people set apart we will be much more aware of the sin that so easily besets us (and by sin I mean missing the mark of perfection). Even St Paul felt the homeward pull and so, whilst I remain of sound mind, I will always be grateful that God is giving me time to work and learn - a time which I would never wish to cut short despite the fact that this earthly life is more of a tragedy than a comedy, a veil of tears and a catalogue of troubles.
However, I’ll leave you with another favourite of mine. It was written and sung by a father whose son (aged 12) was killed when he was kicked in the chest by the family horse. His son is mentioned in the lyrics and the father’s (Mike Rayson’s) approach to life is an example to myself and all of us:

youtube.com/watch?v=oj1qh3v6bAE

That’s beautiful, Pilgrim, thanks. You have a great attitude.

Steve

We’re nearing the season again so here’s God in the Temple of Consumerism

youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE

I love this arrangement of The Lord’s My Shepherd (Psalm 23), which we often sing in my church:
youtube.com/watch?v=pN4tPkX0MG0

(Steve (Stefcui) - Thanks for posting the clips of the Bendectine nuns. I particularly enjoyed the ‘interview’ one.)

Al

A great Christmas song for the start of Advent: Mary, did you know
youtube.com/watch?v=agQvboUi3mQ

Blessings all! :smiley:

Al

Here’s one about making war against sin

youtu.be/OWNJL15Q4SI

The antidote:

youtube.com/watch?v=6AY0Q7xfZHw