The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Satan, a person or a personification?

Since posting the OP, I’ve been quiet, just reading and listening. Thanks for all the good responses. Bob (TV), what you shared really has a ring of truth to it. For several years now, when praying with others, inside I cringe when someone goes off on a rant rebuking Satan, commanding him to do this or that. Such comes across more as a vent for the person’s frustration than ever seeming to accomplish anything. It comes across to me to be like a person standing in the dark and cursing the darkness; how much better it is to light a candle or turn on the lights.

On the other hand, scripture speaks of people being delivered from demonic oppression, and I have witnessed, even experienced such. And Jesus was tempted by Satan. The following are the passages where the word Satan is used:

Matthew 4:10 …Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship …
Matthew 12:26 …against itself shall not stand:And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against …
…not stand:And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall …
Matthew 16:23 …and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for …
Mark 1:13 …there in the wilderness forty days, tempted of Satan; and was with the wild beasts; and …
Mark 3:23 …and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?And if a …
…them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan ?And if a kingdom be divided …
Mark 3:26 …itself, that house cannot stand.And if Satan rise up against himself, and be divided, …
Mark 4:15 …word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taketh away the word …
Mark 8:33 …he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that …
Luke 4:8 …and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship …
Luke 10:18 …And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.Behold, …
Luke 11:18 …house divided against a house falleth.If Satan also be divided against himself, how shall …
Luke 13:16 …this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be …
Luke 22:3 …for they feared the people.Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the …
Luke 22:31 …And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he …
John 13:27 …son of Simon. And after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto …
Acts 5:3 …apostles’ feet.But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the …
Acts 26:18 …from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness …
Romans 16:20 …And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of …
1 Corinthians 5:5 …Jesus Christ,To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that …
1 Corinthians 7:5 …fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency…
2 Corinthians 2:11 …in the person of Christ; Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for …
2 Corinthians 11:14 …apostles of Christ.And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of …
1 Thessalonians 2:18 …you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us.For what is our …
2 Thessalonians 2:9 …Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying …
1 Timothy 1:20 …is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme. …
1 Timothy 5:15 …For some are already turned aside after Satan .If any man or woman that …
Revelation 2:9 …Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan .Fear none of those things which …
Revelation 2:13 …thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan’s seat is: and thou holdest fast my …
…faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.But I have a few …
Revelation 2:24 …doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon …
Revelation 3:9 …Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are …
Revelation 12:9 …out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was …
Revelation 20:2 …that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,…
Revelation 20:7 …And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,…

In some passages Satan seems to be a personification of evil, but other passages seem very personal.

I’m still and slowly mulling over this topic, so thanks everyone for your input. I suppose the one thing I can say with conviction is, “If there is a devil, he’s God’s devil!

Thanks,
Sherman

That’s a very good, valid and interesting question, James. And exploring it leads us into deep waters.

Personally, no, I don’t think I have a problem with seeing the devil, even in the wilderness temptation passages, as an allegorical figure, or as a personification.

Neither – I think – do I have a problem with the idea of Jesus struggling with his ‘dark side’. Although we need to be very careful about what ‘dark side’ defines – because Jesus is God, and in God, as we know, “there is no darkness at all”.

So I would define ‘dark side’ as simply ‘human nature’. Jesus was, after all, fully human in every way. That is orthodoxy. Yes he was without sin, but he was tempted to sin just like all of us. And whether temptation comes from ‘outside’ or ‘inside’ us – whether it is the work of ‘the devil’ or simply the human psyche at work – is, as I see it, irrelevant to that fact.

Now personally, while I do believe in ‘evil’, I believe temptation comes from within. It is the psyche at work, if you like. But because of the ‘evil’ that is in me, I give in to that temptation. My belief is that Jesus suffered the same temptations we are all prey to, but because he was in absolute and perfect tune with the will of his father, all of the time, there was no ‘evil’ in him, he never gave in to those temptations, and hence never sinned.

And if Jesus hadn’t suffered these temptations, he would not have been human.

Now I confess, the question of how Jesus’ temptations could be purely ‘internal’ – ie simply the natural consequences of him being human – while at the same time he had no ‘evil’ in him, is deeply mysterious. But then the whole notion of the incarnation itself is deeply mysterious, indeed impenetrable to human reasoning, I’d suggest.

I must think some more on this.

As for angels, I am agnostic about their personal existence too.

Shalom

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thank you. I want to make sure that I understand you. You’re agnostic about both the existence of angels in general and fallen angels?

Hi James

I was going to say I was agnostic about the existence of angels of any sort - fallen or otherwise. And I guess the truth is that I am - agnostic, that is. But *much *less so than I am about the existence of a personal devil.

I’ve been musing on this question during my train journey home from work, mulling over in my mind the heavy weight of scripture which talks of angels and their actions. And to be honest, it has given me real pause. I accept unconditionally the notion that God *could *create angelic beings - for as the creator, He can create *anything *it is logically possible to create. And the Bible talks a lot about these angelic beings.

So why, I ask myself, do I remain agnostic about their existence?

My honest answer is that I just do. I just find it hard to believe in angels or demons. Maybe it’s just my naturally sceptical disposition. Maybe it’s because I believe God’s normal way of acting in the world is through the natural created order. Maybe it’s Dan Brown’s fault :smiley: . Basically, I’m not sure I’ve thought it through enough to be definitive about *what *I think.

What - or who, rather - I do believe in, and put my faith in, is Jesus Christ, the only Son of the Living God. With either George MacDonald or CS Lewis (I can’t for the moment remember which - help me out Jason :smiley: ) I state that “nowhere am I commanded to believe in a personal devil” or words to that effect.

But as there was once a time when I didn’t believe in God, or in UR, I remain open to the Spirit’s guidance on this, as in everything.

Shalom

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. My next question would have been why, but you answered that. :smiley:

I grew up in a Pentecostal background, so I know the hokeyness of constantly rebuking the devil, well. As Oswald Chambers said, we blame evil spirits for the ordinary pull of the flesh. As Frank Viola has said, the church gives equal airtime to God and the devil while the NT rarely mentions the later since he’s seen as defeated. And finally as Martin Luther said, the church is often very reactionary. In order to avoid falling off of one side of the horse we tip the other way and fall off the other side!

And so I ask, might a balance be needed here?

As for skepticism, I honestly think that there’s no need. While I sympathize with the caution of some in linking science with ever hairbrained theory out there, at least this one has an experiential basis with actual reported encounters behind it. So, I’ll just come right out and say it:

String theory allows for multiple dimensions stackd on top of one another so to speak. Basically we could use this formula, if you’ve ever read Flatland:

sphere:triangle::supernatural entity:human

Plus, I have done a good deal of research probing into the possibility of a spirit being composed of energy - and I keep finding corroboration for that idea.

And don’t accuse me of unorthodoxy here - it was C.S. Lewis who first put me on this trail! :wink:

Stellar, hmm, are you talking about observed energy that is subject to entropy? I doubt that model for spirits would work but I will take a close look at what you write about it.

Much of energy is unobserved, at the very least presumably. We’ve just stumbled upon dark energy recently in human history.

I think that the dark spirits are probably subject to entropy, including ours. Which could be the cause of spiritual evil or rather the reverse. But not all spirits. If God has a habitation transcendent to our own this could explain where angels gain their power, and where we do upon being born from “above.” :slight_smile:

[size=150]Hi Sherman[/size]

James and I have already had a long conversation on this subject by Email - but this is a great conversation here. I had thought about writing the conversation James and I had up and putting it on the Essays thread - but on second thoughts I will post here as long as I open up further conversation with my posts (if I find I’m closing down conversation :frowning: , I’ll stop posting here and go back to the summary essay idea).

[size=150]Hi Stellar[/size]

Stellar your idea of entropy very much chimes with some thoughts James and I have batted about. Putting aside the Biblical witness for the moment - which I believe is layered and nuanced - it really doesn’t seem important to me if people believe that the satan (and/or the satan’s retinue) is/are a personal or an impersonal force, as long as - whichever way they believe - they understand that the satan’s reign is already coming to a close and that the satan has never been a power equal to God. (For this reason I have no problems with a ministry of deliverance from demonic ‘oppression’; but have real problems when people start to speak in terms of demonic ‘possession’ which gives the satan too much power in the first place).

My thoughts about the nature of the satan centre around my idea of ‘the personal’. The category of ‘personal’ implies real relationship - with caring, empathy, imagination, compassion etc., being the hallmarks of this. God is supremely personal, and in the doctrine of the Trinity we are given a glimpse of the mystery of how the personal is always relational. Likewise human beings are created in God’s image to become more and more personal. If the satan is the opposite of all of this, indeed the adversary who tries to frustate all of this , then I believe this ‘force’ must be, in a sense, completely impersonal; and perhaps we only have to try to think of the satan as personal because it is the only way we can think about this ‘force’, since we are personal beings. The satan is the ‘force’ in nature, in individuals, and in society that keeps trying to drag the dynamic that leads to wholeness, personhood etc., back to the chaotic and impersonal.

One of the problems about thinking of the satan as personal is that it/he may end up seeming like a rather interesting person. One famous image of the satan in Western culture, derived from Milton, imagines ‘him’ as a sort of swashbuckling romantic hero; the rebel against the authority of a cold and rationalistic god. The satan imagined here is a most interesting person. Likewise, when C.S. Lewis first imagined one of the satan’s retinue –(that is as Screwtape) - well, whatever else you say about the old devil he does seem a jolly good laugh :laughing: .

However, I think of real evil as being unlike both Milton’s and Lewis’ anti-heroes. In line with some of the Church Fathers I see it as a sort of ‘non-being’, and in this sense it is the opposite God who is the fullness of Being (I find it telling that real evil in this world invariably has a completely unimaginative, uncreative quality. Hannah Arendt, the Jewish thinker, wrote a very interesting book about Adolf Eichmann, the Nazi who was responsible for the planning and implementation of the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the Death Camps. The book is based on her observations of Eichmann at this trial in Jerusalem ; its title is ‘The Banality of Evil’. It transpires that Eichmann was actually a complete anorak - a man of no imagination (who therefore had no ability to comprehend his crimes), a bureaucrat who obsessed about detail, a good company man who wanted to please the boss (from whom he derived his identity, not having achieved much individuality in his own right). When I’ve read accounts about serial killers etc., and their deeds and motivations the same qualities seem to be present (thank goodness I have done so for some time!).

Evil I would argue is a force of chaos and instability in the universe (why it exists in the first place? Well that’s another post- and might be good for al to think on and post about). For this reason I see the ransom theory of atonement, where God plays a trick on the satan to defeat ‘him’, as testifying to a profound truth about the satan and evil. Whenever evil seems to triumph we must have faith that it does not have the last word, because it ultimately has this stupid, self defeating, self frustrating quality which makes it legitimate to think of it has having been tricked out of its dominion by Christ’s Death and Resurrection. :smiley:

[size=150]Hi Johnny[/size]

I can well understand your sceptical reservations about this matter. I think it’s highly unlikely that many of us here think about demons and angels as people used to do in early modern Europe, and people still do in parts of Africa today. When there an epidemic, for example, we do not see satan, or the human agents of satan, or our own complicity in satanic evil as the self evident causes. As late as the mid-nineteenth century, when there was a typhoid epidemic in the UK, the extreme evangelicals MPs in parliament put forward a bill calling for a national day of fasting and humiliation, repenting for the nation’s complicity with Satan while imploring God to turn aside his vengeance. Cooler heads set about enforcing measure of quarantine and designing and building a proper sewerage system for the cities. I know whose side I hope I would have been on. However, I personally have no problems in imagining that there are spiritual more personal beings than us in this universe (who are like our best and most personal selves but in superabundance), or that there are spiritual ‘beings ‘ that are more impersonal than us in this universe (which are like our worst and most impersonal selves but in whatever is the opposite of superabundance).

I know that C.S. Lewis in his late mellow days did finally become sceptical about the existence of a personal Satan. In his earlier days as Christian he spoke confidently about how, ‘Besides Christianity, Dualism is the most manly creed…’ (in the series of radio broadcasts that became ‘Mere Christianity’). We note his use of ‘manly’ - he speaks here from a position of ‘blokeishness’ before the influence of women had softened him. Also the statement reveals an attitude which sees being ruthless with oneself, and fighting satan in the territory of the heart as being the cornerstone of the Christina message; and I would suggest this is the attitude we also find in Screwtape. It is telling that later Lewis confided in Sister Penelope that at this time he just had not understood the key Christian doctrine that God forgives our sin. :smiley:

The very best to you all

Dick

Sherman (et al)

Just a bit of follow-up…
As I’ve said, I’m not terribly convinced that “Satan” must be one or the other. (ie literal “person” vs personification of evil) The same destination (truths) can be arrived at with either. It’s just that I think it’s worthwhile wrestling with some of the possible implications/consequences might be for each position. As I’ve said further, I think a huge downside to a personal Satan is that it elevates him improperly to a status he doesn’t deserve (and thereby detracts from The Creator…) as well as providing a location for us (we sinners) to project our own guilt and sin…

However, should one hold to a real actual person Satan, doesn’t he pose an interesting – if not downright awkward responsibility for the believer in UR??
Namely, if Satan is a real person, “he” too (assuming gender has some relevance in the spirit world??) that means he too is a creature; created from the same source as we were/are. And is therefore part of the very same creation that has been reconciled at the cross (could Col 1 be any more expansive on how much of the creation is reconciled??) and awaits, as do we also, the final realization of that accomplished reconciliation.
Which of course means I should be PRAYING for his (Satan’s repentance and conversion and rebirth!!! For, in being part of the creation he is thereby our “brother” in that we share the same Father!

That’s tough though… Pray for SATAN???

Bobx3

8Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
9And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
11According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord

All through Ephesians Paul talks about this eternal purpose, that “kind intention which He purposed in Himself…the gathering into one of all things in Christ”. In chapter one God “makes known unto us the mystery”.

Apparently, from these verses, and from those in 1 Corinthians 15:23-28, he is subjecting “every adversary”, which, in my opinion, means bringing everything into the love of God- and this includes the principalities and powers, rulers of “hosts of wickedness in the heavenly realms”. To me, all the mythology about exactly how Satan came to be and exactly what those hosts are aside, there is a being, created by God, who became an adversary even as Adam did, by choosing. He apparently rules many such beings as himself, so he is IMO a person.

Since we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers, and lest we relegate all the scriptures about the person of Satan to allegory (which, IMO, causes all kinds of problems with how you deal with the word if angels are real but devils are allegories), I think God is redeeming the adversaries through us and that this is one of the special blessings of being the church, His Bride, the body of Christ-in this age and in the ages to come.

BUT ( :smiling_imp: )

The scripture also speaks of “the spirit that now works in the sons of disobedience” so maybe…

Even as God is a person(Father) and a personification(Holy Spirit) of love…maybe there is something that flows from the person in every being that becomes a personification.

I think all of this goes to the mystery of free will, which is at the core of all God’s creative purpose, and the key issue to the spiritual reality of love.

just a really quick interjection that the James referred to here is me, not James Goetz :laughing:
might be easier if we stick to my Tolkeinian affectation :laughing:

i’m finding all this stuff incredibly interesting. i have noticed the “Banality of evil” as well…so the “impersonal devil” makes a lot of sense to me. though i am in a huge state of flux on this and a number of issues and not really sure where i’ll end up. i just personally (ha!) think that a personal devil is not at all necessary for my world view. honestly, a real one might be a threat, slightly.
i grew up around alot of north american paranoia about the devil, the occult, and other such nonsense. rejecting it as childrens’ stories (no offense intended to those more literally minded in this subject than i) was a part of my own personal healing. performing an exorcism on someone i should never have had to do that for (my mum!) as well as being confronted hurtfully by some concerned people about my “involvement” with some “occult” things (specifics don’t matter for the sake of this, suffice it to say my own conscience and my own rational thoughts and approach to scripture convinced me that i was ok) make me very resistant to the idea of a devil with power, and demonic possession and the like.
even considering the idea gives me cold shivers of fear, similar to when i “cast” that “demon” out of my mum (or as i personally believe, confronted a damaged shard of personality and with God’s help, using the metaphor of demonic possession, was able to cut it out.). i don’t find that fear helpful or useful for my own life, and so i have similarly cut that out as well. so for me, the existence (or nonexistence) really does affect my worldview and faith.

however, discovering UR has opened me to new views of God’s benevolent greatness…His irresistable love (for the Calvinists among us) and His ability to persuade everyone (for the Arminians, if being persuaded can be seen as working WITH free will, as i personally believe it does). this greatness makes me more philosophical about the issues i mentioned above…i can see that no matter how it is viewed, God has a plan, and i need not fear, as He is with me, unconquerable. this means even the devil, whatever he/it/she is, it’s part of the plan, and ultimately i will be ok.

but all this subjective waffle aside, i must say that objectively, i still have a few problems with a literal devil, and even literal angels. i heard some great reasoning about many of the Scriptures quoted, but i have of course forgotten them. if i can find my material on the subject, i may be able to answer a few things. i will try to have a look soon, so stay posted.

TV has made an excellent point that some parts of this debate are academic. the end result is the same.

but if there’s a real goateed satyr with ill intent out there, i do hope and pray for his salvation, and one day hope to enjoy the odd good chat with him over a nice pint of ale in the summer gardens of heaven, as i do with everyone else!

I actually had a stage where, after reading too much of the Bible, I started imagining demons everywhere, and was afraid of sleeping (at the age of 21, no less), armed with the sign of the cross and Jesus’s name if anything was to happen. Then, during my anti-theism phase, I stopped believing into all totally and it seems it all disappeared. Looks like the personalness of the demons is as big as you want it to be, at least, in my particular case. :laughing:

TV said:

Hi there TV, sometime since I’ve posted.

As you may recall I’m from the same denominational background as yourself.

I have long pondered the problem that Satan is almost elevated to the status/power of Christ in this belief system. It seems many of the pre-conceived notions of the story of the fall of Satan and his ‘story’ have very poor scriptural backing and stem from medieval beliefs and myths that have evolved over the centuries typified perhaps in Milton.

There have been a number of occasions in discussions at church when I had suggested to folk that even if the devil were to disappear tomorrow that we would still wrestle with sin. I came to wonder how the scenario of Satan being the Scapegoat - the sins of mankind being placed on him (whatever that means) so that the cause of all the disaster that world has become is laid on him - was going to help the ‘lost’ in the world (by most estimates the majority).
In fact, by any estimate if the majority are lost then Satan has won- even if he ceased to be (according to the annihalationist idea).

Then I came to the belief that the Scapegoat is not Satan but Jesus; Satan doesn’t enter the picture.
Looking back I think this was one of the early steps to my re-thinking the whole thing; a step on the way to Universalism.

I have wondered whether Satan is a personal being but in view of the fact that in Scripture he is depicted thus, at least this is a working model,if you like, and best understood that way even if not in actuality.

I have questioned: if Satan is a defeated foe (as I believe he is) and Universalism is true why he is putting so much effort into wrecking God’s creation? This fits better with the concept that he is trying to take as many with him as he can. But perhaps hatred blocks reason even in the devil.

As an aside, on a couple of occasions when I have spoken of my UR beliefs to some in the church, after they’ve responded with the usual “Well, that means it doesn’t matter what we do then if we’re all going to heaven” the next statement runs along the line of “what about the devil then, don’t tell me he’s going to be saved too?”
My answer has usually been that “I believe that as part of creation UR includes devils, demons or whatever but that as we, in a way, know very little about them - they are not human (although often depicted as beings that think as we do)- I’m not going to try and work out that one; it’s hard enough thinking about the human plight”!

I guess some of this type of thinking above occurs when we see a literal devil as opposed to a personification.
If a personification though, then a can of worms gets opened re origin of evil etc. (not that it’s not fraught with questions anyway even if the devil is literal.)

For the moment I’m inclined to be ambivalent, real or otherwise.

Cheers S

I’ve been kicking around the idea that maybe satan was a being, but is already defeated and resorbed into God and now is just a part of our carnal mind.

My thought goes like this:

Satan was a tool to be used from beginning to end. I do not believe him to be a fallen angel, he was a liar and a murderer from the beginning, he was never the image bearer, the light bearer, nor lucifer.

During the time of outward physical literal, God used him in that manner. The story was being built, the patterns being laid down. We had a literal temple, literal giants, literal lambs being slain etc., so we also had a literal devil.

Then Jesus came and put an end to all that. We are the temple, the giants are spiritual strongholds, the accuser is our carnal mind. Now we know no man after the flesh(outward, physical). Including Jesus the outward Jesus is gone imo, Christ in you is the hope of glory.

So maybe when satan was defeated, his purpose was completed, all these things happened for our example. And satan, and maybe angels/demons, were already brought back into God (all in all).

IDK just a crazy though

interesting stuff!
that seems to address the bizarre situation where Satan kinda works for God but is meant to be His enemy…which i’ve never understood. if satan can’t do anything that God doesn’t allow him to do (which boils down to the same thing as commissioning him to do it, really, as a King doesn’t just let people do things when they ask unless it’s His will to allow it), then it makes God responsible, and there again you don’t have much need for a personal devil…kinda like the Angel of Death in Exodus is not stated to be satan, it’s just an angel…of death. but God is seen as the One doing the slaying.

nice to see you back, Sturmy! i liked what you were saying. i hadn’t come across that idea of the devil being the scapegoat, i’d always been told it was Jesus from the start. interesting though!

I’ve heard of an Islamic Sufi tradition that refers to Satan as ‘Satan the stoned one’ - or the ‘scapegoat’. Yes he often is just an excuse for our irresponsible actions.

Is Satan personal, is ‘he’ impersonal? Well I don’t think it’s that important as long as whatever we think he/it is doesn’t lead us to close our eyes to/avoid reckoning with the real awfulness of evil and, at the same time it does lead us to think that whatever the Satan is it/he will eventually be redeemed and that it/he in its/his unredeemed state will not have the last word. I guess my view of evil as impersonal is reconcilable (at least in a compromise) with those who see the Devil as personal; the logic of my view is that when Satan is redeemed he will finally become personal.

I’d just like to paint the scope of the conversation that James and I have had- any questions on details and I can fill them in. But you may also wish to jump my post adn go on to the next one.

For me the real problem with the Satan image is that it has been used both to excuse irresponsibility and to terrify people into compliance with sectarianism (a curious paradox). Walter Wink, whose work on ‘The Powers’ is commended on the Rebel God website, which at least three of us on this site have found most useful since Piaidon recommended it, wrote the following –

‘The Satan image has been whittled down to the stature of a personal being whose sole obsessions would seem to be sexual promiscuity, adolescent rebellion, crime, passion, and greed. While not in themselves trivial, these preoccupations altogether obscure the massive satanic evils that plunge and drive our times like a trawler before an angry sea. When television evangelists could try to terrorize us with Satan and then speak favorably of South African Apartheid (which they did), we should have sensed something was wrong.

And again –

‘There is something sad in the moralistic tirades of fundamentalist preachers terrifying the credulous with pictures of Satan lurking in the shadows, coaxing individuals to violate rules which are often enough satanic in themselves, while all the time ignoring the mark of the cloven hoof in economic arrangements that suck the life out of whole generations of people’.

So here are some bits and bobs to suggest a wider context -

**On the salvation of the ‘dark force’ **

I note that Isaak of Syria, an early Christian ascetic, wrote –

‘What is a charitable heart? It is the heart of him who burns with pity for all creation – for every human being, every bird, every animal, every demon’

On the Spiritual Warfare Mindset

I can see that a number of is have on this site have been affected by this perversion of the charismatic movement (There are many charismatic who completely disown the extremism shown by some – all forms of Christianity have a lunatic fringe. I often feel that the emotional liberation that accompanies charismatic worship is far better handled by poor people and black people who are more at ease with their bodies and emotions. My experience suggests that charismatic worship is more likely to go wrong in congregations of stiff lipped middle class white people – but that is a real overgeneralization with just a speck of truth in it). I’m aware of any number of instances of Spiritual Warfare dualism leading to disaster – we had the Satanic panic in the 1990’s in Britain where secular social workers, stupid enough to be influenced by Spiritual Warfare propaganda and thereby listening to false witness, began accusing innocent people of Satanic abuse and taking their children into care (a particularly horrible case of this happened on the Orkney Islands off of Scotland), If anyone want sot look at a particularly distressing instance of the influence of Spiritual Warfare mindset, Google my favorite charity ‘Stepping Stones Nigeria’.

There was a developed theology of dealing with the demonic in the Church Fathers; and I have a book - ‘Mental disorders and Spiritual Healing; Teachings from the Early Christian East’ by Jean Claude Larchet which suggests that the Church Fathers had a sophisticated understanding of mental illness. Using the Pauline model of human beings being comprised of living flesh (soma), emotions (psyche), spirit (pneuma) they took care to distinguish between different types of mental disorders; those with a physical cause, those with an emotional cause (which they specifically associated with demonic oppression); and those with a spiritual cause which they identified with a lack of training in the exercise of virtue and the disciplines of prayer. They were also subtle enough to understand that disorders could be cause at all three levels in varying combinations.

On the complex personas of Satan in the Bible –

This is just a very rough sketch- but Satan is not simply the adversary. He/it assumes different forms; as an oppressive bureaucrat; as a the council for the prosecution in the court of heaven - at first the agent that uncovers the truth of person’s guilt, but quickly becoming the agent provocateur who seeks to entrap the accused; as the accuser of sin who demands strict justice when God wants to show mercy; as the one who tempts us to despair, telling us we are worthless when we are in fact children of God – and that’s just the Old Testament. In the New Testament he/it is the liar and the murderer, Beelzebub (‘The Lord OF the Flies’ that feed off rotting flesh). It could be argues that he/it also assumes a positive function for those being redeemed by Christ as the sifter - the one who strengthens us in faith by tempting us – and the pains of bad conscience. This would all take time to go through – Walter Wink does an excellent job of looking at all of the relevant scriptural evidence in his ‘Unmasking the Powers’.

**On the identity of the Powers and Principalities **

As I understand it, in the biblical world view everything on this earth has a corresponding spiritual entity. Therefore Nations have Angles - whether fallen or redeemed, (and the Parable of the Sheep and Goats takes place in the context of the Judgment of Nations, interestingly) while social structures, like laws and institutions, have Powers and Principalities - either fallen or redeemed. This is all a way of talking about social sin - a lot of the evil in the world is not a result of personal sin but of the structures of injustice, and alienation that people become trapped in (including both poverty and consumerism). It’s these that need to be redeemed, and it’s these that we need to struggle against in the name of Christ the Victor.

In a much of the Epistles and in Revelation the Principalities and Powers are the idols of Roman religion - symbolic functions of a brutal state; very fallen spiritual entities. And the rites of these idols were depraved. People being whipped up into a frenzy of ecstasy in which they lost all inhibition gashed themselves, and reversed social and sexual roles in brutal ritual climaxing in the slaughter of an animal and the splashing of blood (the first chapter of Romans alludes to this). The gladiatorial games were just a magnified version of these cultic rites. People were whipped up into an ecstasy of frenzy climaxing, this time, in the spilling of human blood by executioners dressed as the Gods of Rome. The ritual killings were often staged as depraved reenactments of the Roman myths. At the end of all this the result - in a brutal society where casual killing and vendetta were common - was that the spectators, having discharged their violent rivalry in the experience of frenzy at the slaughter, could go home feeling united in peaceful fellowship against society’s scapegoats.

On the issue of freedom

Is sin, in a biblical view, only a result of our free choice? Not when so much of it is a result of our being oppressed by the Fallen Powers and Principalities of this world as a result of begin born into a world of sin. Indeed the Greek Fathers define freedom as our ability to choose our own good. So freedom is not what makes us fall – we are born into a fallen world already and this makes us fall - but it is something we progressively attain as we are redeemed - gradually made free - and can collaborate in establishing the Peace and Justice of God’s Kingdom (thereby redeeming the Powers).

The idea of Satan’s choice to disobey God with his rebellious angels is actually extra biblical and mostly post biblical as I understand it. Parts of scripture may seem to echo this view, but the only parallel biblical story is that of the Nephalim in Genesis – the Sons of God that lusted after the Daughters of Men (as far as I know).

On the origin of Evil –

Where does evil come from? The idea that God created the universe out of chaos rather than out of nothing is now well recognized as being a biblical theme by reputable scholars, including open evangelicals. The original creation was well ordered but never completely perfect(ed) because the waters of chaos were contained in the firmament above and below, but not completely under control. There have been extra biblical speculations on why this is so (Jurgen Moltmann the great Christian Universalist theologian refers to this Jewish Zimzum tradition which suggests that chaos comes into being prior to the creation of the universe because in order for the universe to exist in the first place there had to be a contraction in God for the universe to exist apart from God in freedom, and finally to return to God in freedom. Chaos will only be subdued/redeemed in the fullness of time.

Many scholars now argue that a close reading of the Jewish text of Genesis strongly suggests this theme (and I’d have to expand on this if there was any interest shown). It is also seen in the cult f the Temple which was a microcosm of God’s creation (with the great sea of bronze representing the containment of chaos). The monsters that emerge from the sea and need to be subdues continue this theme, and perhaps the beast in Eden – more of a lizard than a snake because it originally has legs – is the force of chaos in the well ordered garden.

All the best

Dick

1 Like

Yes sturmy – good to see you back again…
… and you recall correctly about our shared denominational background!

Seems our recall of all the attention Satan gets as deceiver and scapegoat are very similar.

Now I must hasten to add that, while raised in this denominational structure, I never really understood nor embraced God though I did go through the motions and never “officially” left the church. It just wasn’t real. But in 1994, when God finally had me cornered and I HAD to face Him, (that “hound of heaven” thing…) one of the VERY first questions I asked Him was if Satan was a real person AND if I could please use my energies trying to understand GOD – not Satan.

And literally within 3 weeks, I had spoken with THREE different people who had ALL experienced what they believed to be intensely personal confrontations with “an evil spirit” of some sort and they were utterly convinced that Satan is incredibly real.
Nonetheless, I felt liberated in my conviction that in fact I could leave my old ideas of Satan behind me and turn my full focus on God and the positive and His solutions to sin and get about the business of transformation of my heart. Thinking of Satan simply had too much baggage and engendered too much fear to be of much use it seems. So that whole expression “get thee behind me Satan!!” came to mean, for me, “don’t let Satan block the path to Christ; let nothing come between me and my Savior on whom my full attention needs to rest.”

Which is not to say at all that real benefits can’t come from examining the nature of evil and why I do what I do not want to do (the Paul thing in Romans 7 for example) as a kind of pattern recognition so as not to fall into the same traps over and over. And I do realize that my growing conviction that Satan may just be a “personification of evil” began mostly as an academic exercise. Thus I am loath to give Satan too much credit or attention; (which for me happens mostly in those who find him very real/personal) yet still it is worth some time and energy grasping the strategies of the “enemy” as well as recognizing that the real “enemy” lurks even in me. And the very best way to deal with that enemy is to replace it with Christ which is what the whole “in Christ” motif is to be about…

Bobx3

Just a quick note on the angels vs. sons of God thing. As many of you already know, “angel” simply means “messenger”, so it is possible to have entirely human “angels” from the standpoint of being a messenger.

Something just occurred to me; If it’s true that satan will finally be reconciled (along with the rest of creation), it seems as though the scriptural witness would indicate that satan would probably be the last thing or person reconciled (…to the age(s) of the ages). It just occurred to me that perhaps the reason for this is that satan is actually the adversary within all of us, and not until every last individual is reconciled could this entity be reconciled as well. Of course, this could be true even if satan is a principality or power external to us as well.
Thoughts?

1 Like