The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Is mockery a legitimate tool?

Thanks Michael, it’s good to have the key texts provided. I’m not sure our discussion is likely to head in a constructive direction beyond this, so I’ll note a couple more points and see if anyone else wishes to join in:

At present I’m not convinced that the bible makes a clear prohibition against all forms mockery, strong language and insult. The verses noted so far in this thread do not, to me, seem to provide sufficient clarity to say, for example, that Paul was sinning in making some of his stronger comments in the epistles, or that the OT prophets sinned in their communications, or that the early church was guilty of ‘mockery’. Proverbs quotations in particular seem too weak in terms of their genre and context (general sayings; rude behaviour against the poor borne of arrogance and delight at calamity) to be applicable to, say, Christian ethical preaching denouncing an abhorrent practice (where I could see legitimate mockery being effective and loving).

It does seem clear, though, that in general terms Christians are called to gentle respect and careful choice of language, which makes perfect sense. I don’t see those positive commandments disallowing all possibility of mockery, however, since the example of Christ and God in the scriptures seems very clear. No argument has yet been provided for why that particular behaviour is acceptable for God, Jesus, prophets and apostles but not ordinary Christians.

Pog… to your question “Is mockery a legitimate tool?” I say, YES, it can be. All the texts Michael gives above are the excepted norm, and how we should in any normal given situation respond. There are however exceptions to the rule and you’ve asked about “mockery” in terms of a “tool” – a means to an end, so NOT just an unsullied end in or of itself… which is pretty much the essence of the texts given above.

Paul however in making a point against the devastating effect some of the Judaisers were having on some young congregations reaches into the area of mockery and put-down, and legitimately so, obviously in his opinion when he didn’t mince words saying…

I wish those people who are bothering you would add castration to their circumcision. :imp:

I don’t think mockery is generally a legitimate tool at all - there might be place in books (Erasmus for example) - but those are very talented people, with specific audiences in mind. In our day to day lives I believe we are called to be gentle and respectful. I cant believe mockery is consistent with Christianity and loving our neighbour as ourselves…its often just an excuse to be as base and unloving as our opponent. Not for me -

Blessings!

Thanks for the input zaidagal.

Can you present your reasons as to why you “cant believe mockery is consistent with Christianity and loving our neighbour as ourselves”?

It seems to me that it can. For example, if mockery of IS proves an effective tool in preventing young Islamic people from being radicalised then this appears perfectly consistent with loving our neighbours - it prevent much suffering and harm to others. Or, for example, mockery of a powerful authority figure might prevent political abuse or the such like. After all, didn’t Jesus and the apostles use insulting language?

If all mockery is illegitimate, doesn’t that mean pretty much all comedy is taboo for Christians?
And how could one read the bible without agreeing with God’s insults of others … Would the Christian be forced to censor the scriptures?

Indeed…