The Evangelical Universalist Forum

If Eternal Hell Fire Damnation is True . .

No, death entered into all mankind and for that, all sin, was written by the Jew, the apostle Paul. He was a Pharisee.

Oh, okay. I’m a fool then.

I’m sure we are all so fortunate to have to lead us believers out of our darkness. :unamused:

Believers see Adam and Eve disobeying God’s clear command not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Okay. If you want to see it that way then do so.

No, Why would I give up the proper understanding?

Eusbeious Said:

What do you mean by this? :confused:

You should not.

So why do you think A & E should have done the opposite and given up their proper understanding?

Seems that you would follow their intelligent lead instead of following gods command yourself.

As to this

“the wages of sin is death”

Tell us please, is justice delayed justice denied?

Regards
DL

Not to put words in our friends mouth, but —
He likely means the opposite of this moral position and will likely offer an immoral position.

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Regards
DL

Ezekiel 18:20 is not a sweeping statement concerning all mankind. Ezekiel prophesied only to Israel about Israel. Under the law, which they covenanted with God, should they break the law, they would be liable to all the curses of the law. The apostle Paul said that the law is death chiseled in stone. Why? Because the Jews could not keep the law.

Concerning ALL mankind, we sin because we are dying (Romans 5:12). Death operates in us so that we all sin and are wanting of the glory of God.

I mean it was death that passed through into all mankind and, for that, all sin, according to Romans 5:12.

Humans don’t have “original sin.” They have original death operating in them which causes them to sin.

As Ingersoll said; ‘no man would be fit for heaven who would consent that an innocent person should suffer for his sin.’

You might try to remember that having another innocent person suffer for the wrongs you have done, — so that you might escape responsibility for having done them, — is immoral.

Regards
DL

IOW, we are normal natural animals.

Death does not cause us to do anything. Our natures, god given nature to the delusional, is what makes us do all that we do.

Further.

Christians are always trying to absolve God of moral culpability in the fall by whipping out their favorite “free will!”, or “ it’s all man’s fault”.

That is “God gave us free will and it was our free willed choices that caused our fall. Hence God is not blameworthy.”

But this simply avoids God’s culpability as the author of Human Nature. Free will is only the ability to choose. It is not an explanation why anyone would want to choose “A” or “B” (bad or good action). An explanation for why Eve would even have the nature of “being vulnerable to being easily swayed by a serpent” and “desiring to eat a forbidden fruit” must lie in the nature God gave Eve in the first place. Hence God is culpable for deliberately making humans with a nature-inclined-to-fall, and “free will” means nothing as a response to this problem.

If all sin by nature then, the sin nature is dominant. If not, we would have at least some who would not sin. That being the case, for God to punish us for following the instincts and natures he put in us would be quite wrong.

Psalm 51:5 “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.”

Regards
DL

Since when was Ingersoll inspired? I have never read his words in the Bible. But the Bible is replete with inspired words to the opposite of what Ingersoll stated.

1Co_15:3 For I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

Gal_1:4 Who gives Himself for our sins, so that He might extricate us out of the present wicked eon, according to the will of our God and Father,

1Pe_2:24 Who Himself carries up our sins in His body on to the pole, that, coming away from sins, we should be living for righteousness; by Whose welt you were healed."

1Jn_2:2 And He is the propitiatory shelter concerned with our sins, yet not concerned with ours only, but concerned with the whole world also."

1Jn_3:5 And you are aware that He was manifested that He should be taking away our sins, and in Him is no sin."

1Jn_4:10 In this is love, not that we love God, but that He loves us, and dispatches His son, a propitiatory shelter concerned with our sins."

Rev_1:5 and from Jesus Christ, the Faithful Witness, the Firstborn of the dead, and the Suzerain of the kings of the earth. To Him Who is loving us and looses us from our sins by His blood"

He is going to reconcile all beings in the universe to God, having made peace through the blood of His cross (see Col.1:20).

Death entered into the human race through one man, Adam (see Romans 5:12). What is God going to do about that? See Romans 5:18,19 to find out. Paul gives us the answer to this question.

Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for all mankind for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for all mankind for life’s justifying. For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, the many shall be constituted just." (Rom 5:18-19).

So we have just two men affecting the entire human race. Here is a short tract on this: saviourofall.org/Tracts/allrighteous.html

Romans 5:12 disagrees with you.

Adam and Eve disobeyed God’s law in the garden because He made them flesh, knowing full well in advance before He made them flesh that "because the disposition of the flesh is enmity to God, for it is not subject to the law of God, for neither is it able. Now those who are in flesh are not able to please God (Rom 8:7-8). So God stacked the deck against A & E. But this was so the Saviour would later come as prophesied right after they sinned.

God told them that they day they eat of that tree, “to die shall you be dying.” So death began operating in them. Death was passed on to their offspring, not sin (see Romans 5:12). The one who wrote Psalm 51:5 was sinful at birth due to dying and wanting of the glory of God.

Let me ask a question - for the uninformed - me. Who is Ingersoll? If I type the word Ingersoll into Google, all that comes up on page 1 is** Air Compressors, Tools, Pumps, Material Handling Systems**. Was he a manufacturer of some sort? Of course he or she might be uninspired. Because they might be** manufacturing **all their words of wisdom :exclamation: :laughing:

And for the sixty four dollar question. Is Ingersoll as inspired - or uninspired - as Rupus T. Firefly of Duck Soup :question: :laughing:

If it were true why would Jesus tell us to love our enemies, so that we may be perfect like our Heavenly Father.
If it were true why would He teach us to have hearts of compassion and unselfishness and then have us rejoice over our own personal salvation while others are lost forever with no hope of ever being redeemed.
Why would the greatest command be to love God if He was to torment forever those He told us to love making it impossible for us to keep the command and then all would go to hell.
Thank God we know as Scripture says, Jesus is the Savior of the world.
In this truth we can trust Him, thank Him and Love Him in joy and peace.
For we know Jesus is Lord of all and He will draw all unto Himself. :smiley:

Nice thoughts Caffus!

Why would God tell us to love our enemies and do good to those who abuse us, when, after all, He fails to do so by eternally torturing His enemies. Isn’t that rather hypocritical?

That was rather well put, mate! :smiley:

There are many other biblical quotes that say that we are all responsible for our own sins. I will not bother doing as much cherry picking you did. You likely know what those quotes are. I will give you three for you to ponder, knowing of course that your quotes are more important than mine.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Deuteronomy 24:16 (ESV) "Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:20 (ESV) The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

But hey, if you want to teach your children that their having someone else pay for their mistakes is good, go ahead.

Regards
DL

The tree is a metaphor, right?

What benefit did A & E gain from it?

And why do you think Christianity reversed the moral of this Jewish myth?

dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/ … -theodicy/

‘Instead of the Fall of man (in the sense of humanity as a whole), Judaism preaches the Rise of man: and instead of Original Sin, it stresses Original Virtue, the beneficent hereditary influence of righteous ancestors upon their descendants’.

Regards
DL

Well put.

imgur.com/a/CIce4

We are to love our enemies, and also follow God’s example of doing that, while we also torture our enemies. Scratch head.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop, I agree with some of what you are saying. I do believe that mainstream Christianity has “thrown the baby out with the bathwater” so to speak. I think we can better understand what the Bible is saying, should we look into Jewish history. I also think that Christianity has reversed the story of Adam and Eve and given them a bad name.
I do have a question for you. You said in your post that “Death does not cause us to do anything. Our natures, god given nature to the delusional, is what makes us do all that we do.” What do you mean by this? I believe God gave us His spiritual nature as it says in Psalms 139:13 “For you formed my inward parts: you wove me in my mother’s womb.” Also, as we all know, the beginning of Genesis tells us that we were created in God’s image. When we say human nature, this implies that it is a nature that does not come from God but from humans. I noticed that you used a small g in your statement. I believe when we go against God we also go against our own natures thereby creating a nature that we were not born with.

Is God a metaphor?

It is not what they gained but what they lost.

Didn’t Jesus tell the Jewish religious leaders that they, by their traditions, make the word of God of none effect?

That is their problem, not mine. The Jews of the Bible, namely Jesus, Paul and others use the Genesis account as an historic account, that Adam and the human race were on a downhill trajectory which resulted in the world-wide flood.

One can’t just take a few verses which were aimed at the Jews under the law and say, “If that is so, then Jesus could not die for our sins.” The whole sacrificial system of the Jews painted a picture of Christ dying for the sins of the Jews and the world. All the prophecies in the Old Testament showed that one had to die for the sins of the people. You can go here: khouse.org/enews_article/2011/1765/print/ and see the prophecies Christ fulfilled concerning His death for the people.