The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Hate

Here’s another one Randy

One of my sons puts it like that also. I think this is a mistake. If Jesus had meant us to love ourselves, He would have said so. I think the modern teaching on self-love has ruined a lot of people. Everyone loves himself; it is natural. Even the girl who says, “I’m so ugly I hate myself” actually loves herself. If she hated herself she would be glad that she’s ugly.

When Jesus said, “Love your neighbour as yourself,” self-love was assumed. He was asking his hearers to love their neighbours just as much as they did themselves. If we loved our neighbour as ourselves, then we would provide for them and do things for them that we do for ourselves.

Hi Paidion- Thanks very much for taking the time to list all those verses and meaning on love. I wanted to get clarity to see if agape is always in most cases the kind of love referred to. I agree with you Paidion about self-love. I think it becomes paradoxical and convoluted though because we are so complex as Jeremiah says about the human heart. Jesus commands us to love one another, but our whole being is flawed so our ability to do this is flawed, which is why we need Him and the Holy Spirit.

Michael- I think focusing on lovely things is excellent as Paul said in Philippians. Grace and healing from God need to be focused on too though, a LOT actually, because we still have a sinful nature and it WILl rear itself at times. I just don’t want you to end up in a cycle of success/failure that ends up keeping you in paralysis. The Spirit never leaves us, even when we have to deal with filthy painful or ugly things

You are very welcome, Robert! I appreciate your posts a lot.

Michael, be careful about those things you hate. When you hate certain things and practices too much, there is a tendency for it to backfire, and for you to get drawn into those very things you hate.

A close relative of mine was a moderator of a denominational conference. He hated adultery. He had several pastors in the denomination dismissed from their position because they had been involved in adultery. Later on, he got drawn into an affair himself with another pastor’s wife, and even had a child by her. Then he himself was dismissed, not only as moderator but as ever again having any position as a pastor in the conference.

Robert,

I find that the more I stay away from those things the stronger I am. The more sane I am. When pain comes I’m stronger because I have beautiful things in my spirit. The more I focus on it the crazier I become.

Paidion,

Love must be sincere. Abhore what is evil; cling to what is good. - Romans 12:9

It’s because I’m healthy that I turn away from ugly images of evil and filthy things. I don’t love it so I stay away from it. The more I stay away from it the healthier I become.