The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Free Will and Boasting

Tom,
I understand your explanations to both Bob and I as relating to whether the theology includes the doctrinal views which mandate that the believer does not see his value based on his choices.

I tend to see that there are conflicting doctrinal ideas at work in LFW. But simply because LFW theology might deem that the worth of the person is not based on his choices, does not mean that theology does not have a weak link in it’s armor. If arrogance runs think in a person and God stated in scripture - only the smart will live forever - do you think LFW would be prone to allowing pride run it’s course?

Now if LFW then stated that the smarts are not something that’s in us but from God then that would destroy LFW and “fee” choices independent from God.

Well as I understand Arminians they are, though under the table, are claiming only the “spiritually” smart will be saved. How could you call someone who choose God’s salvation spiritually dumb. Of course smart and dumb are subjective terms. But most people don’t think that deep and so I imagine they see themselves just as LFW demands. They see themselves as righteouss people and the others as unrighteouss people. Simply because LFW states that their self formed choices do determine their value does not protect them from getting the sense that they did something righteouss not birthed in God - it cannot be birthed in God because that would be determinism.

So to say it simply:

I hear you saying:
Arminian theology does allow for valuing people according to their choices.
and
Arminian theology demands that choices be something that’s generated within the person apart from God.

Paul states in Romans that Abraham COULD boast if it were by works BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. I think most people read this as saying Abraham Could not boast if it were by works and especially not before God. The point being that Paul is recognizing that if there is something about the man that is not from God (in this case he’s arguing for faith) then the man will take credit.

If a good choice is made independent from God why would a person not take credit? And if he takes credit then will he be vulnerable to arrogance? Worth is a ambiguous term here. We don’t just determine worth based on some intellectual level, we form it via verious senses. And if people have the sense that they did something which permitted God to save them and others don’t (that is they are wise and others are foolish) then what is to keep them from FEELING they are better.

Aug

Hi again Auggy!

Thanks to both you and Bob for the good convo. I enjoy the opportunity to understand all sides a bit better and to clarify my own views.

I think there is a minimum amount of ‘smartness’ (to use your word) that engaging in interpersonal relationships requires. Rocks and trees can’t relate as persons to God (as far as we can tell). So yeah, one has to have a minimum threshold of ‘rational’ wherewithal to grasp whatever we’re going to say are the minimum belief-claims (in terms of content) that constitute a minimally rational and sufficiently informed choice for God.

I’m not sure what the point is in comparing how much smarter those who choose God supposedly are over those who reject God. I don’t have any interest or need to struggle in that department. I think that to the extent a person’s failure to relate rightly to God is due to genuine cognitive failure (either through some handicap or the failure of others to share the gospel with him), God will see to it that what’s missing it supplied. Nobody goes to hell without making a minimally rational and sufficiently informed choice to reject the good news. I haven’t the slightest idea of how that will work out post-mortem, but then I haven’t heard any universalist offer anything but speculation in this regard.

Aug: But most people don’t think that deep and so I imagine they see themselves just as LFW demands. They see themselves as righteous people and the others as unrighteous people.

Tom: My belief that I’m libertarianly free demands that I see myself as righteous and others as unrighteous? What am I missing?

Aug: Simply because LFW states that their self formed choices do Tom: I think you mean “do not”] determine their value does not protect them from getting the sense that they did something righteous not birthed in God.

Tom: Well, libertarian freedom is self-determining freedom, sure. And though that means the self determines itself with respect to some option, it doesn’t mean the self is absolutely autonomous or self-sufficient even when it self-disposes freely. Even the power to so choose is a grace of God given to equip us for becoming what God intends. But if “not birthed in God” means “not determined by God” then certainly libertarians don’t think that everything that happens in the world is birth in God. I’m not sure why this is an argument against LFW though. It’s just what LFW is.

Aug: I hear you saying: Arminian theology does allow for valuing people according to their choices AND Arminian theology demands that choices be something that’s generated within the person apart from God.

Tom: Oh, I’m not at all trying to defend or categorize Arminian theology per se. My own view, however, is that the value of a person is not determined by their choices—so that making a poor choice makes one less valuable and making good choices makes one more valuable to God. Perish the thought! Again, I’m not framing it in Arminian terms because I don’t have much interest in viewing myself in such terms, but I would say that LFW just means (it doesn’t demand) that we’re free to self-determine. And I’m uncomfortable with saying LFW means exercising our capacity “apart from God” since I don’t think it’s possible for anything that exists (Satan included) to be “apart from God.” All created natures subsist within the active presence of grace. In God we “live and move and have our being.”

Aug: Paul states in Romans that Abraham COULD boast if it were by works BUT NOT BEFORE GOD. I think most people read this as saying Abraham Could not boast if it were by works and especially not before God. The point being that Paul is recognizing that if there is something about the man that is not from God (in this case he’s arguing for faith) then the man will take credit.

Tom: I understand Paul to be arguing that IF Abraham’s right standing with God were a ‘work’ (as opposed to ‘faith’) then such standing would be essentially something Abraham earned and his right standing a ‘wage’ God was obligated to pay. But it would be strange indeed if Paul thought ‘faith’ itself (which he understands to be the abandonment of self-reliance and works) was a ‘work’ that earns one right standing with God. On this we seem to agree. But where you apparently think the only way for ‘faith’ to not be a ‘work’ is if God determines that we believe and then determine us in our believing (in compatibilist fashion), I don’t at all think that choosing to trust God (freely) turns faith into a ‘work’.

Aug: If a good choice is made independent from God why would a person not take credit?

Tom: Because it’s not made “independent” from God. It can’t even be made without the active empowering grace and presence of God. I know you say you get this about my view and that you’re talking just about the sense in which libertarian choices aren’t determined ‘by’ God, but it’s this tendency to suppose that whatever is self-determined by humans excludes God in ways that make it possible for us to “take credit” (i.e., boast)—that I’m unhappy with. It doesn’t follow that we have grounds for boasting if we self-determine with respect to God IF the opportunity and capacity to self-determine are given by God and IF our value isn’t determined by how we exercise that capacity.

See, when one talks about “boasting” or “taking credit,” in my view one is talking about “establishing one’s value and worth.” To ‘boast that I am X’ is to lay claim to possessing some value on account of X. But as I said, nobody who realizes that God values and loves unrepentant sinners just as much as God loves repentant saints could think his free choice to embrace God’s offer of life occasions him an opportunity to establish his value and worth in the fact that he chose rightly.

I don’t know what else to say. ;o)

Aug: And if he takes credit then will he be vulnerable to arrogance? Worth is an ambiguous term here.

Tom: Is it? It seems clear enough. To be human is to hunger for significance and value, a sense of importance, uniqueness, permanence and belonging. Now, if the gospel tells us that our truest worth and value, the permanence and importance of our existing, are already safeguarded in God’s unconditional love for us, then how can my ‘agreeing’ with this (and accepting it) be at the same time a denial of this just because my embracing it is a free act?

True, we “take responsibility” for our choices—the good ones and the bad ones. But that’s just to recognize that we’ve chosen. But again, if the choice is rightly informed then the ‘self’ is rightly related to all the relevant truths concerning our choice, including our utter dependency upon God EVEN for the capacity to choose freely.

Aug: We don’t just determine worth based on some intellectual level, we form it via various senses. And if people have the sense that they did something which permitted God to save them and others don’t (that is they are wise and others are foolish) then what is to keep them from FEELING they are better.

Tom: I can only suggest again that you can’t say “My worth and value are derived exclusively in God’s unconditional love for me” and also say “My worth and value are derived in part from my having chosen rightly.” This latter claim is just what it means to “boast” or “take credit,” i.e., to celebrate one’s own ‘self’ as the source of one’s own worth. That’s what I take ‘boasting’ to mean.

Tom

Love it Tom, however I’m not settled with this defense.

I think there’s much we agree on and it makes this discussion all the more difficult. In your view God has mercy on all and that provides for you a logical reason leading you to Universal salvation - that is, in your view God values all.

But I’m referring to LFW/ECT. That is God values all but somehow does not provide the necessary means by which all men repent. This is why I say “worth” is an ambigous term. In your view, it’s crystal clear. But in someone who states “God values you so much BUT if you don’t believe these propositions then he’s gonna gut you like a dirty dog that you are.” - Here worth is ambigous.

So can I ask you to defend this unnecessary boasting while maintaining ECT? Or at least do your best.

Before I comment, I think I’m understanding your view to be Dependent Free Will or DFW. That is you believe your free will is not independent of God’s causation (either directly or indirectly). Libertarian is to me - liberated from control of of any external source.

Tom: My belief that I’m libertarianly free demands that I see myself as righteous and others as unrighteous?
Well of course. What is it that made you righteouss? If you claim God makes you righteouss so that you make a proper choice then why do people make bad choices? I understand you here to argue that we make bad (sinful) choices because God doesn’t make people righteouss or unrighteouss but rather lets you determine your course. - What I really mean is that some are just good and some are just bad, by some reason of mystery.

Tom: I understand Paul to be arguing that IF Abraham’s right standing with God were a ‘work’ (as opposed to ‘faith’) then such standing would be essentially something Abraham earned and his right standing a ‘wage’ God was obligated to pay. But it would be strange indeed if Paul thought ‘faith’ itself (which he understands to be the abandonment of self-reliance and works) was a ‘work’ that earns one right standing with God. On this we seem to agree. But where you apparently think the only way for ‘faith’ to not be a ‘work’ is if God determines that we believe and then determine us in our believing (in compatibilist fashion), I don’t at all think that choosing to trust God (freely) turns faith into a ‘work’.
Agreed. I do think faith is the seed ofgood works. That is faith w/o works is no faith at all or dead. So I don’t see them independent; “You show me your faith why what you say I’ll show you mine by what I do” and believing is an act of faith.
How can anyone believe the gospel w/o faith?

I believe Paul’s more focal point on this issue is that Abraham cannot earn his justification via any means. And here I make my point regarding this:

if self-generated faith can be seen owed to God then can’t works?

(I’m going back to the pharisee here)
If I work for my salvation and attriubte that God is the source of all my works; the air I breath the food I eat, then I take no credit for earning my salvation. But I still say - it was DUE to me.

You stated yourself that when you say…"In my view, your salvation IS “due” to your making the right responses to God. What else does synergy mean, right? "

I understand Paul to be saying that the reason Abrahams justification IS NOT DUE to him is because his works are not generated by his own self righteoussness. His works, which James commends him for, is because of his faith WHICH IS NOT SELF GENEREATED BUT IS A GIFT OF GOD. And so the question gets begged…

Is faith required in order to make the proper choice? And why is it some people are just evil and some are good (mind you, exit your universaslist mind here and play the role of the ECT).

If prevenient grace reduces or annihilates the depravity of men, then is that synonmous with saying, God grants them faith?
If not then I assume my question is right. If so then why do people who have faith go to hell?

Aug

Here is the link where I’m inquiring about free will and boasting. He’s a very nice fellow.

thearminian.net/2010/12/31/where … ting-then/

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the interaction! I’ve long enjoyed your posts with deep appreciation (agreeing with most)!

I suspect our quibble is definitional and hangs on how ‘arrogance’ develops. We agree that we are called to a faith in an undeserved gift that excludes boasting (that’s what sets up the dilemma)! Also that our worth is not conditioned on our choices! So you stipulate that this unconditional love means that the choices in our province can’t provide any basis to feel superior. Then, sure, by definition, nothing could logically encourage pride.

But in actuality, pride seldom operates, by insisting that we were the only cause (or rejecting all synergism). Most decent proud people don’t dream that their ‘achievement’ could have been achieved with their powers alone. Pride is never based on other factors in the WHOLE, but always points to the PART that was ours. It is typically based on comparions with how others handle that very PART (and ideally with others for whom the WHOLE provided just as much as it did to us; otherwise it seems like an unfair comparison).

So :confused: suppose a father places equal love and worth on two sons (and they both realize it), and gives each $1 million (without which neither could possibly develop a business). One invests in building a fruitful business. The other uses his enablement to squander the gift. Won’t the first conclude that his superior choice justifies having a diminished view of his equally valuable brother? “Both: my brother is totally loved and valuable, and I am clearly superior!”

Yes, if the only allowable basis of thinking one self superior, is God’s unconditional love and provision, then any choices become irrelevant in the comparisons humanity is prone to make. But that is never the way pride gets fostered anyway.

Good stuff, but I now have work to prep for school, so I’ll have to slow down!

Aug: But I’m referring to a LFW/ECT. That is God values all but somehow does not provide the necessary means by which all men repent. This is why I say “worth” is an ambigous term. In your view, it’s crystal clear. But in someone who states “God values you so much BUT if you don’t believe these propositions then he’s gonna gut you like a dirty dog that you are.” - Here worth is ambigous.

Tom: Ah, I see. OK. Yeah, if God loves us and truly desires our salvation, and if experiencing salvation requires a sufficiently rational and informed choice (which we LFWers think is the case), then God’s loving us has got to include seeing to it that we’re sufficiently informed to make a responsible choice.

Aug: So can I ask you to defend this unnecessary boasting while mainting ECT? Or at least do your best.

Tom: I don’t think I could successfully defend ANYTHING (even 1 + 1 = 2) while maintaining ECT, because I think ECT is an impossibility. And it’s impossible to successfully defend an impossibility + a possibility!

I think my argument that persons are never justified in boasting (i.e., to justifiably ground their worth or value) for having freely made the right choice depends upon their believing that God unconditionally loves all persons equally. My point is, I can only argue that there’s never warrant for attempting to ground our value in our having chosen rightly if I also argue that the value we in fact seek to establish in boasting about ourselves is in fact guaranteed us unconditionally in God apart from our performance. But if I grant that God loves all THIS much, I can’t also defend ECT, for that’s an impossible eschatology if God loves us infinitely and unconditionally (which I believe he does).

Aug: Before I comment, I think I’m understanding your view to be Dependent Free Will or DFW. That is you believe your free will is not independent of God’s causation (either directly or indirectly). Libertarian is to me - liberated from control of any external source.

Tom: LFW is the view that the ‘self’ is a ‘cause’ among other causes. Some causes are necessary. Some are sufficient, etc. But the point is that I don’t think the human will as ‘free’ is absolutely uninfluenced or unconditioned by forces outside the ‘self’. Free will isn’t unconditioned will. It’s just the view that the conditions outside one’s self don’t determine the will. What we choose, if we choose freely, isn’t determined by antecedent causes. You might say that LFW is the view that the ‘self’ is the final arbiter over what may be many influences.

Tom: My belief that I’m libertarianly free demands that I see myself as righteous and others as unrighteous?

Aug: Well of course. What is it that made you righteous? If you claim God makes you righteous so that you make a proper choice then why do people make bad choices? I understand you here to argue that we make bad (sinful) choices because God doesn’t make people righteous or unrighteous but rather lets you determine your course.

Tom: It would never dawn on me that my freely accepting an invitation to right relationship with another person is the whole of what “makes me” right with the other person. I’m a synergist, not a monergist who places all the effective say-so on the human side in the way Calvinists place all the effective say-so on the divine side. If I’ve offended a person and that person graciously extends forgiveness and invites me to recognize my offensive and receive restored favor, do you really view my free confession of guilt and grateful acceptance of forgiveness as having “earned” the offer of forgiveness and restored favor? You’d say “I” restored the relationship? “I” can now boast of having healed the broken relationship? Something’s wrong here Auggy. We’ve got to find a common sense way of looking at relationships that doesn’t turn the free and responsible choice people make to accept the forgiveness that people (or God) offer them into a self-righteous ground for boasting.

I’m suggesting that experiencing the restoration of favor (i.e., right-standing or righteousness) from one you’ve offended is relational through and through. I try not to define relational concepts by pointing only to contributing factors on one side of the equation. We’re righteous because God offers us his love and healing grace. That we must acknowledge our dependency upon God and cooperate with his grace freely doesn’t turn us into self-made saints.

But perhaps this may help. I also think there has to be a certain asymmetry to the divine-human relationship that’s grounded in the creator-created relation. We derive our being, worth and value from God. God doesn’t derive these things from us. There’s the asymmetry. This means that the divine initiative (in creating, in loving us unconditionally, in pursuing us faithfully and offering us relationship) always qualifies free human responses by co-constituting them, by being ‘in’ them so to speak. Consequently, we are never permitted to consider our freedom independently of the divine initiatives that account for its existence as a gift. We CAN consider God’s worth and value and freedom independently of creation, but we can never do the reverse (consider or contemplate human worth and value and freedom independently of God). That’s the asymmetry I’m talking about. So to even posit human freedom (LFW) is to posit all the it requires on the divine side, and consideration of the divine side (the divine initiative) seems perfectly adequate to preventing human boasting with respect to any of the gifts and freedoms we possess.

If this is not enough to keep a person from boasting (viz., from seeking to establish their worth and value independently of God in supposed self-sufficiency of their own free choices), then I can’t help them! I can only assure you that it has always kept me freedom for considering my faith and relationship with God arrogantly.

Aug: I believe Paul’s more focal point on this issue is that Abraham cannot earn his justification via any means. And here I make my point regarding this: if self-generated faith can be seen owed to God then can’t works?

Tom: I’m a bit uncomfortable with the phrase “self-generated” but never mind that. I’d say yes, ‘works’ CAN be viewed in terms that favor faith and relationship. Aren’t we created “for good works”?

Aug: If I work for my salvation and attriubte that God is the source of all my works; the air I breath the food I eat, then I take no credit for earning my salvation. But I still say - it was DUE to me.

Tom: Oh, I see. Well, I’d be careful. God’s promised to save all who believe. In a ‘logical’ sense it follows that all who believe are saved. If you want to use “due” to describe the sense in which being saved by God “follows” belief, OK. But that’s gonna get misunderstood a lot. I wouldn’t go that route, because ‘works’ properly understood are the ‘works of faith’, the ‘fruit’ of faith and relationship, i.e., the fruit of resting in the freely offered worth and value that are ours in God’s love. One can work “from” such a position of faith, but not “for” such a position.

Aug: You stated yourself that when you say…“In my view, your salvation IS “due” to your making the right responses to God. What else does synergy mean, right?”

Tom: Right. I was just conceding that one’s faith is a condition that “accounts” for how people are saved. But I don’t mean “due” in the sense of “wages” due me on account of “work” I perform.

Aug: If prevenient grace reduces or annihilates the depravity of men, then is that synonmous with saying, God grants them faith?

Tom: Close. Ha! All good questions Auggy. Wow.

I’d turn it around and say that the depravity of human beings doesn’t eradicate the natural affinity of human being with/for God. I’m inclined (being influenced as I am more and more by Eastern Orthodoxy) to say that the natural state of man is trust and faith in God. This is entailed in our bearing the divine image (which is not eradicated by sin), which works itself out existentially in human beings in the undeniable hunger for love and relationship, worth and value. That’s our image looking for the archtype, looking to get connected. It’s a natural inclination. We are hardwired for relationship with God and we may be damaged, but we’re not categorically other than image bearers. I think God’s always at work on some level in people seeking to encourage people along these lines. On one level the human natural capacity for God (the nous, the organ of faith) is where the East would locate prevenient grace. For the East, all creation is infused with grace, especially human beings in their natural (even fallen) state. God is present and luring his creation toward him.

From my point of view, Auggy, God doesn’t need to ‘give’ faith or grace to this person here and that person there. Our very existence is grace extended, and our natural capacities are equally hardwired to long for and believe in God.

Tom

Tom,
I think I’m beginning to understand although I don’t agree. I think we have such different paradigms of scripture that our different views are quite abstract to one another. Of course we’re familiar to some degree since these issues are presnet in every paradigm that’s existed. Also, I’m not a philosopher and my understanding of epistomology is extremely limited.

At certain points what you say rings true and then at other points it doesn’t. So I tend to think I should take it point by point and stay with that point until I feel I’m ready to move on. If you feel like you’re beating a dead horse, please continue to beat it. Sometimes our going in circles finally opens up a blind spot that we’re able to progress in our understanding.

Self Righteoussness:

I’m inclined to think that Pauls exhortations of salvation by grace apart from works is explicitly desigend to crush any mode of self-righteousness. By this I mean that I find it hard to accept that self-righteousness (pride) has only one source - namely works. I think this is what Bob is alluding to. There are many modes by which people become arrogant.

Now if a man is damned for his poor choice is God responsible for the man making the wrong choice? Is God responsible if the man makes the right choice? Do they share the glory? I’m detecting that there is a reason why you don’t like “self-generating faith”. That is, if God generates the faith together with a man (synergism) then why do some people fail to generate that faith with God? I think Bob is aksing the same question when he states:

Pride is never based on other factors in the WHOLE, but always points to the PART that was ours. It is typically based on comparions with how others handle that very PART (and ideally with others for whom the WHOLE provided just as much as it did to us; otherwise it seems like an unfair comparison).

I’m on this trail that Bob is on, only it takes about 4 pages of horribly written english in order to find it. LOL!

The questions is specifically aimed at the part that man generates?

Why are some people good and some people bad? Do you appeal to mystery?

Aug

Thanks both Auggy and Bob.

I’ll fire off a quick response and then crash. Got a big week ahead of me!

Aug: I’m inclined to think that Paul’s exhortations of salvation by grace apart from works is explicitly desigend to crush any mode of self-righteousness.

Tom: I agree. The question is, does LFW encourage or justify a believer’s feeling he is a superior person to others who have equal opportunity to accept Christ but rejected?

I don’t doubt that human beings can manage to distort and misconstrue pretty much any good thing provided they have enough time. And this applies to both Calvinist and non-Calvinist understandings of salvation. Properly understood, unconditional election doesn’t afford believers grounds for boasting, so I’m told! But in fact some Calvinists manage to miss the point and understand their special status as elect as a basis for feeling superior to others. Arminians and other libertarians manage to misrelate within their own worldview too. So the fact that anybody in either camp takes a prideful view of their faith shouldn’t be taken simplistically as evidence against those worldviews properly understood. You take belief systems at their best.

In that case it might be impossible to judge the truthfulness of either system based on a head-count of how many prideful believers there are in each. How’s one go about establishing the truth of the matter? I mean, it’s one thing to say Paul wants to crush all possible grounds for boasting. But this isn’t likely to mean that Paul thinks he’s put forward a view that can’t possibly be misconstrued and misrelated too and so is in fact a perfect guarantee that nobody will misunderstand. I think the charitable thing to do is to take a system of belief at its best, given its own definitions and convictions, and then try to evaluate how consistently those commitments shut down attempts at boasting and pride.

Aug: By this I mean that I find it hard to accept that self-righteousness (pride) has only one source - namely works. I think this is what Bob is alluding to. There are many modes by which people become arrogant.

Tom: Oh, I totally agree. I didn’t mean to suggest otherwise. As I think was the case with Israel, their belief in God’s election of them seems to be directly responsible for their pride. And they weren’t even mistaken in their belief that God has chosen them as a nation. The prophets castigate them not for believing they were chosen by God, but for misconstruing this election, for misunderstanding its nature, conditions and purposes. What’s God say in the OT, “I didn’t choose you because you were special or great or etc., but because you were small and insignificant and etc.” What’s God doing? He’s trying to get people to relate rightly to the truth of their election. The point is that it’s not utterly false doctrines/beliefs that are needed to encourage pride. We’re capable of erecting our pride overtop a perfectly orthodox system of belief! So I’m not sure what’s to be gained from arguing for the truth or falsity of some truth-claim that those who hold it can and do become proud of themselves for holding to it. True, one doesn’t manage to become proud or arrogant without misperceiving the truth about one’s self at some point. Beliefs DO motivate behaviour. I’m just not sure how fair or responsible we’re being to try to judge compatibilist or incompatiblist understandings of freedom based on how consistently each system is able to shut down attempts to boasting.

Aug: Now if a man is damned for his poor choice is God responsible for the man making the wrong choice?

Tom: To the extent that God creates and brings us into existence, God’s responsible (in the sense any creator takes responsibility for his creation). But to the extent that persons are empowered to self-determine with respect to God, persons are responsible.

Aug: Is God responsible if the man makes the right choice?

Tom: God shares in the explanation for the choice by virtue of doing what God must do for the salvation of anyone—i.e., extend his gracious offer and invite the person to relationship. To THAT extent God is responsible for our right choices because God makes the choice possible. But to the extent that persons are empowered to self-determine with respect to God, persons are responsible.

Aug: Do they share the glory?

Tom: In an important sense, yes. We’re glorified and co-rein with Christ. We’re ‘rewarded’ for works of faith, etc. Of course we can’t participate in the glory that is God’s because of God’s unique and incommunicable attributes, and there’s no “merit” (in terms of wages earned and deserved) that accrues on account of simply agreeing with the good news that God loves us and wants us to embrace his invitation to life.

Aug: I’m detecting that there is a reason why you don’t like “self-generating faith”.

Tom: It’s just because “self-generating” suggests a kind of absolute autonomy that LFW doesn’t require and which I think we don’t possess.

Aug: That is, if God generates the faith together with a man (synergism) then why do some people fail to generate that faith with God?

Tom: Because they choose to say ‘no’ to God. In the case of the synergy that mutual relations require, it takes BOTH sides fulfilling their necessary roles to effect a genuine relationship. God can be present in his grace (convicting, drawing, touching the heart, enlightening the mind with sufficient truth, etc.) and the person reject all these, i.e., reject the gospel. Otherwise, on a Calvinistic construal (I don’t mean to over-simplify things) one’s rejection of the gospel is in truth God’s rejection of the person.

Aug: The questions is specifically aimed at the part that man generates? Why are some people good and some people bad? Do you appeal to mystery?

Tom: It doesn’t seem so mysterious. People become good (Christlike) because they humbly accept God’s estimate of them and yield themselves to God. People become bad because they refuse to accept God’s estimate of them and reject God.

I’ll have to get back to ya Bob! Sorry to keep you hanging.

Side note. This is a bit off subject, but I’d like to offer it. Among the reasons Charles Hartshorne offered for thinking theological determinism was false is that it entails pantheism. I know that’s a strong claim, but I think his reasoning is sound. Basically he argued that to the extent that A determines B, B just is A over again. That is, ontological distinctions are partly grounded in the freedom of entities to self-dispose with respect to other entities. The power of entities to self-determine on some level is the mechanism by which the cosmos is diversified into “many.” But if all B is and does is determined by A, then in what sense is B really distinct from A? I feel bad to not delve into this more, but I hope you see how an indeterminist can be motivated to reject determinism. It’s implicitly pantheistic.

Tom

I’m obsessing! Arghghgh!

Loving the conversation and am grateful for it. Thanks Bob!

Bob: I suspect our quibble is definitional and hangs on how ‘arrogance’ develops.

Tom:: This may be a good place to stop and ask just what it means to illegitimately “boast.” To my view it reduces to an attempt to demonstrate one’s worth and value in one’s ‘self’. I’d love to hear you and Auggy dissect “boasting” a bit.

Bob: We agree that we are called to a faith in an undeserved gift that excludes boasting (that’s what sets up the dilemma)! Also that our worth is not conditioned on our choices! So you stipulate that this unconditional love means that the choices in our province can’t provide any basis to feel superior. Then, sure, by definition, nothing could logically encourage pride.

Tom:: That’s my view.

Bob: But in actuality, pride seldom operates, by insisting that we were the only cause (or rejecting all synergism). Most decent proud people don’t dream that their ‘achievement’ could have been achieved with their powers alone. Pride is never based on other factors in the WHOLE, but always points to the PART that was ours.

Tom: Sure, but isn’t pride a misrelating of some part to the whole? True, a decent proud person may recognize that their wealth required the help of a lot of people but then immediately conclude that she’s superior to others who didn’t achieve similar success because they didn’t play “their” part well but she did. So her “part” becomes an opportunity to boast. But what I tried to suggest is that what my part means includes its dependency upon others. It’s not like other contributions and dependencies are present and acknowledged but unrelated to my part. Can we really divide the parts up so that the inter-relatedness and inter-dependencies don’t always figure in? I wouldn’t know where to draw the lines. In my view if I view my self-determined portion properly, then I see there’s no aspect of it that doesn’t entail an essential dependency of myself upon God and so every portion I consider offers me a reason to be thankful and humble.

Bob: So suppose a father places equal love and worth on two sons (and they both realize it), and gives each $1 million (without which neither could possibly develop a business). One invests in building a fruitful business. The other uses his enablement to squander the gift. Won’t the first conclude that his superior choice justifies having a diminished view of his equally valuable brother? “Both: my brother is totally loved and valuable, and I am clearly superior!”

Tom: I’m struggling to see how this works. Consider what it means to believe “I am superior to him” and also to believe “God (or my father) knows I’m not superior to him because God (or my father) in fact loves us both equally and unconditionally.” Surely to believe that I’m superior to another is to believe that I’m more valuable than another. But surely to believe that God loves us both equally and unconditionally means that I recognize that this love grounds the worth and value of us both equally. So there’s nowhere to go outside of God’s love to establish an additional source of personal ‘worth’ or ‘superiority’ (isn’t superiority just another word for what is of worth and value in a thing?). You have to misconstrue your ‘part’ to the whole by believing your ‘part’ increases your worth and value to the whole. But we’ve said that’s an impossible view to take if God’s unconditional love grounds our worth and value.

Bob: Yes, if the only allowable basis of thinking one self superior, is God’s unconditional love and provision, then any choices become irrelevant in the comparisons humanity is prone to make. But that is never the way pride gets fostered anyway.

Tom: Right. But my point is that believing I’m free in the libertarian sense is compatible with believing that the only allowable basis for grounding one’s worth and value in life is the unconditional love of God. Some libertarians may disagree, but not because they define LFW differently. They may have other theological commitments and agendas. But so far as LFW goes, it’s consistent with refusing to ground my worth and value (i.e., with boasting) outside of God’s unconditional love (and thus with not boasting).

Peace,
Tom

TGB,
I am detecting that there is a major difference between your view of LFW and the Arminians. Over a year ago I posted up some thoughts on what I called “The Argument of Humility”. It was me rambling about my dissatisfaction with prevenient grace. If you’ve not read it perhaps you should and you might get a better sense of where I’m coming from.

If you’re anything like Talbott or Wilson, then I assume you’re settled with the LFW/DET question because you’re able to see that God’s engineering consequences into life and our bad choices drives us back to God leaves you to see that even in your good choice, God was there. Or to illustrate, I’m guessing you agree that the Prodigal Son has no reason to boast by choosing to return home because the consequences he suffered were not of his own doing. That is to say, I think we all agree that the consequences were from God which drove his son home.

If that is how you reason then I assume you would agree that when God humbles a man he always responds positively?

Where the Arminians would say, No, the humbling (prevenient grace) only enables the man to make a positive choice which he could not do while he was totally depraved.

The reason is, if God humbles a man to the point where he comes to his knees to receive the gospel, then there is no true free will; God forced the man into submission.

Where I understand you to agree with Talbott that irresistible grace is true, that is God’s grace is eventually (as the delusions are removed) irresistible.

Would you agree with this?

Hi Auggy!

I’m pretty much a straight-up proponent of LFW. I don’t believe in irresistible grace.

Disappointing I know, but what can I do? :blush:

I’d be interested to know, Auggy, what ‘major difference’ you see between my view of freedom and text-book LFW.

Tom

TGB but wouldn’t Talbott press you that the reason people resist God’s grace is because they’re under a delusion? I agree with Talbott’s reason and find PG to fail here.

As for text book protocols on LFW, heehe, I really need to read more about it. I consider myself a beginner at Arminian theology and intermediate at reformed. I’m afraid I can’t really comment on your view vs. the text book view of LFW.

Aug

Tom, I understand getting stimulated and ‘obsessed’ with such challenges!

(Side issue: I can’t see why Calvinists would accept a panentheist (Hartshorne) reasoning that they are pantheists. Because I create or ‘determine’ an object doesn’t make it (identical to) me.)

On definitions, I agree “boast” = “an attempt to show one’s worth in one’s self.” So with salvation it boasts that what accounts for my salvation vs. my neighbor’s lack of it lies in a choice that “I” make (even tho in the whole my neighbor and I have equal capacities). (You ask, ‘why would one confine boasting to so narrow a consideration of the facts that explain his being?’ Because, almost by definition, those distinctions about what makes us different are what boasting by its’ nature always focuses on.

You grant that pride “points to the part that is ours,” but say (correctly) that even “my self-determined portion entails an essential dependency of myself upon God” and “offers a reason to be thankful.” I respond: People can recognize that their part is gratefully dependent, yet maintain pride, on the basis that their use of this dependent part is better than others.

You “struggle” to see how one child can believe “I am superior” (= more valuable) when a father loves both equally. I think this is actually commonplace. “I know Dad will always value us kids equally, but my choices in life clearly show that I am more worthy.”

Again, it appears your real response to LFW fostering superiority is definitional. You simply define that “pride” can only be grounded on God’s love, and thus can’t exist, since we’re equally loved. But I remain concerned, because the way pride regularly thrives is precisely against the foundation where those dependent elements are equal. It argues that what I do with the equal provisions we are dependent on is what shows that I am superior.

So, we can agree that such pride “misconstrues” that a person’s ‘part’ increases their ‘value’ when it is superior. I.e people simply deny that all pride is sin, or that it’s impossible to add more value than everyone already has. They stubbornly think the differences count.

So, given your definition of ‘value,’ that people’s choices can’t be used to compare who is better, LFW is compatible with humility, and I’m not worried about you. But it’s not obvious to most that pride is impossible, and I fear that your definition of how pride works is irrelevant in the real world, wherein LFW seems to me to encourage many (albeit logically inconsistent with belief in grace) to feel justified in looking down on unbelievers as clearly inferior to them, and more deserving of burning forever than they are.

I affirm that we can make ‘real’ choices (which indeed appear central to the journey of formation in which God puts us; LFW?). But what shapes those choices is less clear to me, and I resist assuming that everyone has equal ability or present clarity about the key choices in their journey, and thus more like a Calvinist feel that any great choices that I’ve made seem to be due to God’s especially gracious provision of eyes to see what others don’t yet see. I.e. (cop-out for contradiction!) I plead great ignorance about the mysterious nature of will and freedom.

Aug: TGB but wouldn’t Talbott press you that the reason people resist God’s grace is because they’re under a delusion?

Tom: Yes! He HAS pressed me on this point. And I’ve pressed back a bit as well! We’ve gone around a few times on the necessity for human becoming of what John Hick terms “epistemic distance.” The idea is that to make the kind of free choices necessary for our maturity and perfection we have to know enough both to be held accountable for making the wrong choice but not be so overwhelmed by information that we’re left no rational recourse for refusing to bow our knee. There has to be adequate ‘space’ for creaturely becoming and character development. And that’s precisely the sort of world I think we live in. God reveals enough of himself to make it more than possible to respond to him but leaves enough ambiguity in the mix to not overwhelm us and so guarantee the choice he desires by constraint (so to speak).

Bob: I can’t see why Calvinists would accept a panentheist (Hartshorne) reasoning that they are pantheists. Because I create or ‘determine’ an object doesn’t make it (identical to) me.

Tom: I can appreciate the questionable nature of the source (a process theist!). And I’ve not unpacked Hartshorne’s argument well enough to discuss it. It would take time and effort I don’t have. But the more I consider it the more sense it makes to me.

Bob: On definitions, I agree “boast” = “an attempt to show one’s worth in one’s self.” So with salvation it boasts that what accounts for my salvation vs. my neighbor’s lack of it lies in a choice that “I” make (even tho in the whole my neighbor and I have equal capacities).

Tom: From my point of view it’s not that “…with salvation it boasts that what accounts for my salvation…is that ‘I’…” but rather “…with my salvation it boasts that what accounts for my value is that ‘I’ freely chose….”

Bob: You ask, ‘why would one confine boasting to so narrow a consideration of the facts that explain his being?’ Because, almost by definition, those distinctions about what makes us different are what boasting by its’ nature always focuses on.

Tom: Then let’s get people seeing the bigger picture and not focusing on a thin slice.

And why can’t a libertarian agree that all possible distinctions fall equally under the embrace of God’s unconditional love? That is, why can’t a libertarian believe that his freely choosing as God requires does not make him more valuable than others, indeed, that none of his choices constitutes a ground for establishing his worth and value? So long as a libertarian can take this view, what’s the problem? Why is LFW getting blamed for boasting when plenty of Christian believers in LFW don’t boast? Why isn’t this enough to turn our attention from LFW to find the real culprit in boasting?

Bob: You grant that pride “points to the part that is ours,” but say (correctly) that even “my self-determined portion entails an essential dependency of myself upon God” and “offers a reason to be thankful.” I respond: People can recognize that their part is gratefully dependent, yet maintain pride, on the basis that their use of this dependent part is better than others.

Tom: Send such people to me. Let me talk to them. There are lots of genuinely humble and meek believers in LFW. An accurate perception of the truth about one’s unconditional worth and value is the perfect medicine here.

Bob: You “struggle” to see how one child can believe “I am superior” (= more valuable) when a father loves both equally. I think this is actually commonplace.

Tom: Oh it’s commonplace, for sure—a common mistake, but common, yes. It’s also can be shown to be incoherent. It’s not sound to claim both that one’s worth and value are unconditionally determined by God’s love apart from anything we do AND to claim that my worth and value are conditionally determined by my free choices. These are easily seen to be contrary statements. I don’t doubt that many believe both. Let’s say many libertarians even believe both. But the fault for this lies with poor thinking, not with FLW.

Bob: Again, it appears your real response to LFW fostering superiority is definitional.

Tom: As is the claim that LFW fosters superiority. As most have admitted I think, both Calvinists and libertarians have managed to mistake their systems for reasons to boast. What each side does to address this is to focus on the right definitions and understanding of relations, right?

But my real response is ‘perceptual’ (although I’m trying to define what’s being perceived and grasped by the human heart here). I mean, I believe that where the self is rightly understood (or perceived) as unconditionally loved and valued by God, one has no grounds to then assert one’s worth and value as greater than another on the condition of freely made proper choices. If one does boast, then it’s only because one fails to grasp the truth of one’s unconditional worth grounded in God, and that in spite of whatever assent one might give to the idea that she’s unconditionally loved. She doesn’t REALLY get it if she’s also attempting to ground her value and significance in her choices.

Bob: You simply define that “pride” can only be grounded on God’s love, and thus can’t exist, since we’re equally loved. But I remain concerned, because the way pride regularly thrives is precisely against the foundation where those dependent elements are equal. It argues that what I do with the equal provisions we are dependent on is what shows that I am superior.

Tom: Then we all need to do more teaching along these lines and drill it into peoples’ heads that their not more valuable just because they make good choices. They’re valuable because God loves them. What occasion of boasting cannot be fully exposed as false and fruitless by the perception of the truth that we are not more valuable because we freely choose to submit to God?

Bob: So, we can agree that such pride “misconstrues” that a person’s ‘part’ increases their ‘value’ when it is superior. I.e people simply deny that all pride is sin, or that it’s impossible to add more value than everyone already has. They stubbornly think the differences count.

Tom: Then the answer is to demonstrate that they don’t count so far as our value and worth are concerned, and that’s easy to do without abandoning LFW. But since Calvinists are prone to arrogance on grounds peculiar to their own unique theological claims (when misconstrued of course!), why think that getting folks to abandon libertarian LFW for compatibilism will make them less boastful?

Bob: So, given your definition of ‘value,’ that people’s choices can’t be used to compare who is better, LFW is compatible with humility, and I’m not worried about you.

Tom: Yes! Thank you Jesus!

Bob: But it’s not obvious to most that pride is impossible, and I fear that your definition of how pride works is irrelevant in the real world, wherein LFW seems to me to encourage many (albeit logically inconsistent with belief in grace) to feel justified in looking down on unbelievers as clearly inferior to them, and more deserving of burning forever than they are.

Tom: I’ll take your word for it, Bob, that there are great numbers of libertarian believers who boast they’re more valuable than and superior to others just because they freely chose to believe in Jesus. I honestly haven’t run into this specific claim to self-importance, and I discuss it pretty regularly with friends. I just don’t think this is that big a deal, but I could be wrong.

But I do think my definitions (or approach) is relevant to the real world. It’s transformed my own life and that of my kids and pretty much all with whom I’m able to give enough time to work through it. I mean, how is it not the case that the truth that our worth and value are guaranteed unconditionally in God’s love for us irrespective of our performance is relevant to the real world’s existential angst, worries, fears and arrogance?

Say my child gets to feeling that her value and significance in our family are dependent upon her performance, upon making good choices. Isn’t the most relevant news this child can hear the truth that she’s unconditionally loved and cherished and valued because of who I am as her father and not because of how well she performs? But that’s all a libertarian need grasp to avoid construing the exercise of his freedom as grounds for increased worth and value.

Well, gotta grade tests! Rats.

I’m very grateful for the input and challenge Auggy and Bob. Thanks again! And let me say that I often tend to read and respond quickly. But if a conversation becomes challenging (and this one has) then I like to go back and read through it. I’ll certainly be doing that here too!

Tom

TGB,
would you agree that the logic you’re applying here would allow the following:

If a theology maintains that God loves all unconditionally and salvation is by works, then such a theology would leave no room for boasting?

Aug

Let me suggest it this way…

Behavior is motivated by beliefs.

Boasting is motivated by false beliefs, either that one can achieve self-worth by parading about (which isn’t the particular motivation relevant to our discussion) or that one’s worth is grounded in and demonstrated by some free or self-determined act which constitutes one’s superiority over others who haven’t ascended the heights to such an act.

How does one can addresses the problem of boasting then? It looks like Bob and Auggy (and the entire determinist camp?) wants to claim that the ‘freedom’ by which one acted is the culprit. Let’s take LFW out of the equation. Surely if people know that God unconditionally decrees who believes and who doesn’t believe they’ll have to logically consistent way to parade about and think their faith makes them superior to others.

Problem is, we find theological determinists who are proud of the fact that God chose THEM and not OTHERS. Dang.

My suggestion is that we educate people into the truth of where their true value DOES lie. If a person grasps the truth that no person is superior to another because all persons are equally and unconditionally loved by God, they can’t (consistently) parade their faith about as something that makes them superior to unbelievers simply because they chose ‘freely’. Why not? Because beliefs motivate behavior, and if grasped and appreciated, the belief that the unconditional love of God grounds the value and significance of all persons equally (and objectively) is going to prevent boasting and pride. Will we sometimes fall into arrogant behavior? Only if we first fall into arrogant believing on some point, which means we will have forgotten that our worth and value are guaranteed in God and not in our performance. I can misconstrue things and fall into this or that falsehood, sure. But I can do that with whatever deterministic explanation of faith I put in the place of LFW. So removing ‘freedom’ from the equation isn’t going to rectify the fallen human tendencies toward selfishness and self-preservation at the expense of others (which is what boasting is—preserving self at the expense of others). Both Calvinists and Arminians can misconstrue their systems to become narratives used to preserve the self at the expense of others.

Tom

Aug: Would you agree that the logic you’re applying here would allow the following: If a theology maintains that God loves all unconditionally and salvation is by works, then such a theology would leave no room for boasting?

Aug: Good question Auggy. The math seems to work doesn’t it? Well, if the scenario you describe is even possible (and it’s not) then I think I’d say people wouldn’t have a basis for boasting. Your scenario (like my own understanding) asks people to realize and live in the fact that their value and significance are grounded in God’s love for them and not in their own performance. So if THAT piece is in place, then it’s in place. But I don’t think this part of the equation sanctions the idea of salvation by works. It doesn’t follow that if salvation by works could be construed so as to logicaly preclude boasting that salvation by works is acceptable. It may be (and is) objectionable on other grounds too. But it seems unlikely that anybody who believed God required them to save themselves would also believe God loved them unconditionally.

But in fact I think it’s impossible for us to save ourselves by ourselves. So what you’re proposing is unthinkable to me. I can suppose for the sake of the scenario that people who saved themselves by themselves unaided by grace would not boast if they ALSO knew that their works and efforts didn’t increase the love God had for them and so increase their value and significance. But I couldn’t possibly believe that people can save themselves by themselves, so it’s academic at best.

Tom

Maybe we should clarify what we mean by ‘salvation’. Westerners often limit it to legal connotations and see it as a particular ‘status’ one holds in God’s eyes (i.e., “not guilty”). That may be a tiny sliver of an analogy, but by ‘salvation’ I mean what Orthodoxy means—participation in the life of God.

Now, in my view it’s the OFFER of this life to us that demonstrates our value and significance and not our free ACCEPTANCE of the offer. God offers us himself for relationship because he values and loves us.

The idea that we can participate in the life of God via loving relationship with him “by works” is just barely over the edge of meaningless for me. I mean, I’m trying to conceive of it but can’t seem to manage. I keep getting an image of an employee kicking in the door of his boss (God) and demanding that he receive a loving relationship that participates in the life (the thoughts, feelings and desires) of the boss “as his wages.” The employee shouts, “I demand that you enjoy me and take me to a ball game, then tell me you love me and share your plans and dreams with me, then invite me to your table and introduce me to your family. I’ve earned that, it’s my wages!” Even if I have him knocking on the door and being polite, it just doesn’t work. But what’s as meaningless to me is the idea that if the boss offers all his employees an undeserved Christmas bonus out of the goodness of his heart that any employee who received it would take his “freely receiving” it as a “work” that “earned” the bonus (i.e., that the bonus was given “as a wage in order to compensate the work”) OR that his receiving the bonus meant he is more valuable than those employees who rejected the bonus for whatever reason. I know no analogy is perfect and analogies can be produced to make Arminian faith look as unworkable. I’m using the analogy more to clarify where I am with all this.

In the end, Aug, your scenario is self-defeating were I to suggest it because for me salvation is the celebration in Christ of my unconditional and inestimable worth to God. How does one “work” for that? By definition it can only be received gratefully. That is, I don’t separate the ‘experience of salvation’ from the ‘experience of unconditional love and self-worth’. So salvation by works is impossible.

Tom

Wow there’s lots to chew on here.

I think your right that definitions are beginning to emerge in this discussion as problematic to our understanding each other.

I still see your view more as dependent free will rather than a libertarian free will. Determinism to me does not have to mean that God programs a person like software. Determinism to me can mean that God causes someone to do something which the person has no control over. That is to say, God can determine the choice of a person (such as the Pharaoh) which means the pharoah did not have an option of obeying God.

How would you define determinism?