The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Strange Parable: GMac's "The Gray Wolf"

:smiley: I’ll leave “the dram” to you at that time of day. The fish is certainly strange to us Americans, but at least until recently, I think fish at breakfast was pretty common in Britain…“Could we have kippers for breakfast. Mummy dear, Mummy dear…” (Supertramp, if you remember) :wink: Also kedgeree, though I don’t know if that was just confined to certain classes. (It’s delicious, by the way)

By the way… where does the word “Whisky” come from? :wink:

Steve

The story reminds me a bit of Kafka. Not the content so much as the , oh I don’t know - minimalism? Some of K’s stories were stripped to the bone. Here’s one called 'Give it up":

It was very early in the morning, the streets clean and deserted, I was walking to the station. As I compared the tower clock with my watch I realized that it was already much later than I had thought, I had to hurry, the shock of this discovery made me unsure of the way, I did not yet know my way very well in this town; luckily, a policeman was nearby, I ran up to him and breathlessly asked him the way. He smiled and said: “From me you want to know the way?” “Yes,” I said, “since I cannot find it myself.” “Give it up! Give it up,” he said, and turned away with a sudden jerk, like people who want to be alone with their laughter.

I think that’s apt comparison. Every word of dialogue, every action and every detail is important in this story. I hadn’t realized how short the story was until I reread it again a few days ago. It seems much longer in my memory… :confused:

I do think though, that the genre, the gothic tale aspects of this story are what made it difficult for me to understand. Like the young man in the story, I was “bewitched” by the ambiance, the storm, the romance (and the woman) and failed to see through that to the meaning behind it…

Steve

Cindy, I missed your post last night (was posting at the same time, I guess… :frowning: )

You’ve got it, I believe! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: MacDonald is fond of the “wise old woman” archetype as at least an expression of God and possibly the Holy Spirit.snc.edu/northwind/documents/By_genre_or_topic/Archetypes_and_Mythology/Knowing_God_‘Other-wise’=The_Wise_Old_Woman_Archetype-_Katharine_Bubel.pdf Where else have we seen someone like the young woman in MacDonald? Where else do we see the “beast within”?

Also does this…

…remind you of anything in scripture?

Edit: Also, I’m not sure the fish is the body of Christ but is is certainly “wholesome” and perhaps “holy” nutrition. The “broiled” fish is actually what caught my eye remembering the risen Jesus eating a piece of “broiled fish”.

Yes, I figured that was what happened. It’s fine though – I half hesitated to post it anyhow, lest I spoil the fun for everyone else. :wink:

I think it (the fish) could be a type of the ‘host’ – I’ve heard others refer to fish being symbolic of Jesus – the early church drawing the fish symbol to identify themselves to one another, for example (whether that’s true or a myth). I’ve heard that the sea symbolizes death and that fish are symbolic of life coming from death – resurrection. Again, that could be anyone’s symbolism and who knows whether GMac would have heard of it.

As to your other hints, I will have to ponder this. (I need lots of hints! :laughing: )

Thanks for the link you sent! It looks like a great read, though too long for me to read until perhaps after Thanksgiving (I’m the cook). I’ve downloaded it though and am looking forward to it as a special treat for later. :slight_smile:

Only Lilith comes to mind at the moment, but she’s probably a bit over the top for a comparison to the wolf girl. Maybe. Hmm . . . maybe not though.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :slight_smile: Bless you all.

I think you may be right… :smiley: Was thinking about the “air fish” in “The Golden Key” that Dave mentioned who jump in the pot (sacrificing themselves?) and are eaten…GMac may have been using the “icthys” symbol there and here as well.

As far as the wolf-girl goes, I’m thinking of one of his children’s fairy tales/fantasies where the “beast within” figures prominently…

Edit: Thanks, Dick! :smiley: Since you Brits don’t celebrate our Thanksgiving, eat a turkey sandwich and think of us on Thursday.

Yes - I will eat one certainly. I promise :smiley: We do Christmas bigger to make up for not having Thanksgiving. Mind you - now we’ve got Trick or Treat and Proms - both absent when I was young - we may we’ll have a decontextualized Thanksgiving soon as well :laughing:

OK, OK … I don’t want to drag this out tooooo long so … :smiley:

Could this be echoing?:

I think this is right on Cindy. Its almost like we are getting a little glimpse into someone’s purgatory/Gehenna/outer darkness.

I think you are exactly right Steve. This seems to be a parable by GMac of the outer darkness. Jesus also said it else where:

This is all really good. I haven’t had time, but I want to re-read the story and see what else I might be able to see in it. Thanks so much for posting this, Steve. I’m very much enjoying the discussion. :smiley:

Hi Caleb and Cindy!

I finally have a chance to get back to this thread.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!! :smiley:

I wanted to post a couple quotes from GMac regarding the “outer darkness” (which is a common theme in his stories) which I do believe the cave represents for the Wolf-girl.

and…

I’ll go more into GMac’s thoughts about “the beast within” soon, but it might be time to start thinking about why GMac so cleverly and subtly hid the purgatorial meaning of this story…. Why is the “old woman” not completely obviously “good”? Why does she feed (or at least offer) the wolf-girl fish, which would be the expected food on the shore of an island, and whisky (which is closely associated with Scotland) and would be expected in a peasant’s hut? Why is the altercation between the old woman and the wolf-girl so ambiguous?

Steve

Amazing quotes Steve. Apparently I had not read “The Last Farthing” yet. I’ve read some of the Unspoken Sermons, but not all. Reminds me a little of the Ghosts in the Great Divorce–many of which had a ways to go before arriving in deepest hell.

Who knows the truth about Gehenna, the refining fire, the black fire of the outer darkness? I was watching "Hellbound? yesterday with my dad, and some of the speakers: Brad Jersak and Brian McLaren, talk about Gehenna being fulfilled in the destruction of Jerusalem. But there is something about MacDonald’s vision of Hell that just “feel’s” right to me. It reflects my own human experience, my understanding of human psychology, and my deepest hopes and longings about God. Do you think that the outer darkness and the weeping and gnashing of teeth could have had a first century fulfillment and have an eschatological one as well? I think I would lean that way.

Don’t have much to add on these questions yet. Looking forward to more of your thoughts on these matters.

Hi Caleb,

I agree, Caleb—it feels “right” to me as well, and his vision is what brought me to EU. :smiley: He’s certainly not “soft on sin” as some accuse universalists of being… :wink: I also think that the outer darkness texts did have a first century fulfillment as well as an eschatological one. After seeing your post, I wracked my brain trying to remember if he wrote anything about the 70 AD events and did a Google search as well but found nothing. I do think GMac sees the eschatological fulfillment as a process that begins in this life and continues “post-mortem” if need be. In other words, the Holy Spirit is working like the “old woman” at this very moment… :smiley:

As far as the “beast within”, I think this is addressed most directly in “The Princess and Curdie”. Curdie, the protagonist is given a gift by the Grandmother/Princess (another of his “wise old women”.
**Edit: ****MINOR SPOILER ALERT for those who haven’t read The Princess and Curdie

And then there is “Lina” who might be in a similar condition as the Wolf-girl in this story…

Steve,

I’m hesitant to read your quotes from the Princess and Curdie. I’m afraid it will spoil the story. I’ve read the Princess and the Goblin to my boys, along with At the Back of the North Wind, The Light Princess, The Golden Key and The Wise Woman (or the Lost Princess), Little Daylight, Cross Purposes, and the Castle: a Parable. The only novel I’ve read is The Laird’s Inheritance, Michael Phillips edited version of Warlock O’ Glenwarlock (which I really loved).

Do you think it will ruin any major plot points for me?

Caleb

Hi Caleb,

No, I don’t think what I’ve posted will spoil any major plot points…The quotes are all from one section and since you’re already acquainted with the “Great Grandmother”/“Princess” and Curdie, I think it will be okay. Thanks for reminding me of the need to avoid “spoilers”, though. :blush:

You mentioned The Wise Woman who makes use of the “outer darkness” in her care of the spoiled shepherd girl. I started with the Phillips versions of GMac’s novels as well! The unedited versions are quite a bit longer, but there’s more of MacDonald there to learn from, I think. Warlock O’ Glenwarlock is a favorite of mine! :smiley: I love the old legend (and the rhyme) and the playing out of that whole plot line, and, well…I just love his Scottish novels. You might like Malcolm, which is one of my favorites of his Scottish novels. Phillips has an edited version-- The Fisherman’s Lady, but you might want to try it unedited, though both are good.

The Princess and Curdie was a great story, but it’s been a long time since I read it. A local jeweler put up a billboard last year – Valentine’s Day, I think – of roses on fire. It reminded me of the story, and I had always wondered, “Why roses burning?” I googled it, and found the roses on fire signify the death of love. Not sure what that would mean with P&C, but I feel it has some significance.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Just googled it myself after seeing your post and came right to this page with your lovely picture on thereanswers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101017211002AAUNbax

The top answer right now is apparently: “In Rosicrucian circles, a burning rose that does not get consumed by the flames represents the spirit.” I have no idea how accurate that answer is but fits in better with P&C, I think.

Just read your quotes from the The Princess and Curdie. I think you’re dead on in the parallels with The Gray Wolf. And of course, GMac was inspired by Johnny Cash’s cover of Nick Lowe’s “The Beast in Me”: youtube.com/watch?v=T8tGCVavS5s :laughing:

Yes, I thought of the spoiled girl in her little mirror bubble. In The Laird’s Inheritance, I enjoyed reading, or trying to read the Scottish Brogue out loud in my best Scottish accent. I definitely want to try the unedited novels at some point. Though I think when I get back to reading MacDonald in earnest again I’ll try reading in chronological order of publication, which means [gulp] starting with Phantastes. (Though I think he does have a published poem that came earlier.)