The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What books are our members reading? Post updates freely! {g}

I’ve read most of the 2nd edition now, but it’s been too long since I read the first – I get the feeling there’s more discussion of various things, mostly on the philosophical side (as before), but I can’t point directly to differences. I know what Tom says in his introduction he changed:

Now that I think of it, the change most apparent to me is also the most personally annoying! :laughing: I jumped hard on Dr. McClymond several months ago for grossly misreading Dr. Talbott’s original book to make it seem to say that Tom had said hell is an alternate plan to the cross, when Dr. T had made it abundantly and explicitly clear in just those same pages that there is no alternate plan to the cross. Tom himself agreed I had correctly read the details there, and Dr. McCly had straight-up omitted relevant details which showed Dr. T doing exactly the opposite of what Dr. McCly charged.

Then I got to a similar place in the 2nd edition… and now Dr. T explicitly says hell is an alternate plan to the cross!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Now, Dr. T does kind of end up saying the same thing – hell isn’t really plan B to the cross, but an alternate way of getting people to the cross – but his wording before then is going to cause problems. Whereas the original wording was much clearer about this NOT being an alternative strategy distinct from the cross.

Incidentally, since my complaint there brings up the topic, I had been sure from things he has written since the 1st edition that he’d be going for a much more ultra-u-ish theology where God just heals and reveals, through the resurrection, all the various problems which lead people to sin against God (beyond just having wrong ideas about Him), after which we could fully expect everyone to make the rational choice to repent of their sins and accept Christ etc. without God having to directly punish anyone (even if the healing process was briefly somewhat inconvenient perhaps).

If anyone else was expecting or hoping that – well, he does still have some things to say along that line, but if anything this edition seems more purgatorial (in a directly punitive sense) than the previous edition. I was naturally pleased of course, being a purga-u myself, but surprised; and I figure I ought to warn anyone hoping for a more ultra-universalistic argument that they may be disappointed with this edition at least on that topic.

The Rational Male by Rollo Tomassi is a pretty good book. Can’t say I agree with everything in it though. Anyone heard of it?

I can ask some women if they’ve ever heard of a rational male, but I’m irrationally sure I already know the answer. :wink:

Never heard of it, Nick. Is it a recent book?

I’m reading “Faith without Illusions: following Jesus as a cynic-saint” by Andrew Byers.
Very good so far although he repeatedly misuses the word gauntlet in the introduction, in a way that had the pedant in me writhing. I would definitely recommend it to anyone feeling disillusioned with modern Christianity - with the proviso that I’m only halfway through!

Also finally got a paperback copy of Hope Beyond Hell :smiley: - so much better than the e-reader version, I just cannot get to grips with those for non-fiction.

And in the non-religious category: Just finished “American Gods” (Neil Gaiman, fiction, really quite strange but well-written), halfway through “The Connected Child” (Karyn Purvis, so far so good) and I’m about to start something by Bill Bryson involving 1927, the title of which escapes me.

I like to sometimes relax with a comic book or one of the supermarket tabloids. Does this count as good literature?

Randy,
Ha ha, I guess so. What comic is your favorite? Mine is Pearls Before Swine.

Susan,
the book came out in 2013. As a precaution, I would warn women it’s probably a wee bit incendiary.

I can’t wait to read American Gods. I heard it is very interesting and brings a lot of ancient mythology into modern American culture, right?

I like Marvel and DC superheroes, like Spiderman, Superman/Batman and Justice League. I can’t think of a favorite.

“A Paradigm Theory of Existence” (Onto-Theology Vindicated), by Bill Villacella.

Clear, structured and sustained reasoning. It is very hard to write at this level, but MavPhil (B.V) has the chops and more. I’ve girded my loins and may still be found wanting in trying to fully understand this work.

Needless to say, this is great fun, and a welcome challenge.

I just got What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur’an by Christian writer James R. White, through my local public library.

Nick, American Gods is definitely very interesting and thought-provoking as long as you don’t mind things being a bit dark. Yes, ancient (and modern) mythology in modern-ish America. Would love to hear what you thought when you’ve had chance to read it - it’s a massive book though, takes a while to get through! My copy came with discussion questions in the back, bizarrely!

I realised I’d never read Mere Christianity so I’ve just started it :smiley:

[tag]SusanStoHelit[/tag] said:

Haha [tag]Cindy Skillman[/tag], exactly!
But I’m more than halfway through now and it really is very helpful, so if any of you feel cynically-inclined I recommend it.
amazon.com/Faith-Without-Ill … yers+cynic

I’m reading “Niacin: The Real Story” and it has some interesting information in it about people with the schizophrenic gene. The authors include schizoaffective in the category of schizophrenic so this would apply to me as well. It’s referring to those who have the gene but have gotten better or who aren’t in a state of psychoses or mood disorder:

The authors of the book have worked with those who are schizophrenic and schizoaffective. They are:

Abram Hoffer, M.D., Ph.D.

Andrew W. Saul, Ph.D

Harold D. Foster, Ph.D.

Thanks to [tag]Cindy Skillman[/tag] for telling me about this book. It has some valuable information in it that has helped me in so many ways! :smiley:

I’m glad, Cole. :slight_smile:

Just got me a copy of the late Dallas Willard’s new book “The Allure Of Gentleness”. It’s about defending and presenting the faith with the fruit of gentleness. Here’s a few blurbs:

Fascinating! I was just at the Baptist Seminary bookstore and found an excellent book. I say excellent but I haven’t read it all yet. It is however something that I have pursued for years and now have an up to date argument that was first developed by C.S. Lewis on joy. It’s called “The Apologetics of Joy: A Case for the Existence of God from C.S. Lewis’s Argument from Desire”. Here’s what is says on the back:

This is a unique piece of scholarship, the only book I know of that is wholly devoted to the most interesting argument in the world. It is clear and persuasive, and I strongly recommend it - Peter Kreeft

I am about to re read Virkler’s Four Keys To Hearing God’s Voice.

I once read a meditation from this book and had a powerful supernatural experience that I am still trying to understand.

In the past I’ve read a lot of books looking for proofs about God though I already knew He existed.

A short list of some of them:

The Case for Christ, Lee Strobel

The God Gene, Dean Hamer M.D.

The Language of God, Francis M. Collins the former head of the Human Genome Project

Anatomy of the Soul by Curt Thompson, M.D.

A More Excellent Way, Henry Wright

The Apologetics of Jesus by Geisler and Zukeran

Jews, God and History by Max Dimont

My Utmost for His Highest, Oswalld Chambers

How to be Born Again, Billy Graham

Spurgeon on the Holy Spirit, Charles Spurgeon

The Pursit of God, A.W. Tozer

The Christian’s Secret to A Happy Life, Hannah Whitall Smith

Everything written by Stephen E. Jones on his God’s Kingdom Ministries.net site.

Absolute Surrender, Andrew Murray

The Practice of the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence

Easy to read by bible teacher, Dr. Stephen E. Jones

Lessons From Church History, Volume 1

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … -volume-1/

Lessons From Church History, Volumes 2 - 4

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … -volume-2/

This is a very beautiful and prophetic book…It is not too long and shows the godly order behind numbers.

The Biblical Meaning of Numbers From One to Forty

gods-kingdom-ministries.net/ … umbers.pdf