The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Obsolete: Forum will be read-only from March onwards

Maybe today’s quote I shared on Twitter, will give us some food for fodder (see answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090731152604AANXGhM).

I’m sad

I am also very sad to hear of this forum finishing. It has meant a lot to me over the last few years to be able to read posts, discuss the scriptures, and fellowship with the people here in a way that has been most encouraging. I will miss having access to you and all your thoughts.
Thanks very much to all those who have worked so hard to make it the blessing that it has been.
God bless you all.
Craig.

One of the best literary analysis attempts…put into a black, gangster style framework…ls Thug Notes. You can see all 100 liternary analysis here.

youtube.com/watch?v=Tw9q2P2N028&list=PLghL9V9QTN0jTgA1qrhWrBCB_Ln4xlVlB

And, Yes. Sparky Sweets, does have a PhD, as this Wiki article articulates: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thug_Notes

Let me quote from the Wiki article:

I thought it might be interesting, to see his presentation of Dante’s Inferno :smiley:

But!!! As Robert Frost said “All the fun’s in how you say a thing”.

Compare:
“MY soul is like an enchanted boat,
Which, like a sleeping swan, doth float
Upon the silver waves of thy sweet singing;
And thine doth like an angel sit
Beside a helm conducting it, 5
Whilst all the winds with melody are ringing.
It seems to float ever, for ever,
Upon that many-winding river,
Between mountains, woods, abysses,
A paradise of wildernesses! 10
Till, like one in slumber bound,
Borne to the ocean, I float down, around,
Into a sea profound, of ever-spreading sound:”

Yeah it could be put into prose or hip-hop - but it would not be as fun! :laughing:

I can’t promise anything as there are a number of hurdles, but we may be migrating the forum to a new platform so that it can continue…

Testing edit

YES!!!

Would a miniscule…I mean, a cash contribution from a few of us be any help in clearing those hurdles?

Yea, if its a cash issue as opposed to a time/value issue I would be glad to pitch in.

Me too.

Me too.

Me too too! Is it completely impossible to keep it going? How much time and effort is involved?

It isn’t a question of cash. The hosting server will be ceasing to run this server engine, requiring us to migrate one way or another. We can migrate to a new host that runs the same server engine; or to a new host with a different engine; or to a new engine on this host.

The landlord we’re renting from has decided to knock down the house, so we have to move to a new house, whether owned by this landlord or by another one. Since lots can go wrong with the move, we’re conservatively treating the situation as terminal just to be safe; but Alex et al are running experiments to migrate the forum, in part or in whole, to another engine.

The cash offer is certainly appreciated, of course! :smiley: But, it hasn’t really been a problem. Various people have funded the forum over the years, myself included as the fallback position (since I have a good job and no family to support, so I can afford to pay the whole yearly fee if necessary. I just treat it as part of my tithe.)

Hi, Jason. For my benefit and others here. When you use the term “engine”, are you referring to PHPBB? And not a server configuration, like LAMP (i.e. Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)? And a new engine, would be something like MYBB? Is this a correct understanding?

I respect your decision but feel that I must say that Facebook groups are a LOUSY alternative to message boards. the organization is awful and people ask the same questions very often because no visible threads.

From what I understand, that’s correct. We’re either migrating to a new host that uses PHPBB, or to a new forum code either on this host or elsewhere – although I think the team has been looking more at getting off the PHPBB engine for some reason.

(Forum networking isn’t my specialty at all, so I’m not much help on this side of the project, and I could be using terms wrongly, too. But I’m trying to describe it in a way that makes sense to me. :wink: )

I respect your decision but feel that I must say that Facebook groups are a LOUSY alternative to message boards. the organization is awful and people ask the same questions very often because no visible threads.

Right i have not seen individual threads/topics on FB. Plus FB just moves things on their own according to their algorithm?

Hey y’all! It’s been a long time since posted a reply. I’m sad to see this forum go. I would agree that Facebook is more accessible though. Thank you to all who have been managing this and providing insight!
I actually am wondering: Ilaria Ramelli said that she had an abridged version of her 900 page tome on the way, is that accessible to the public yet? Or canceled? Or have some kind of status on it? Does anyone know?

Thank you all and blessings,

Val

Last I heard, the micro-tome is still being worked on; possibly delayed because she’s working on two auxiliary tomes (one on early non-Christian notions of apokatastasis, and one on Christian apokatastasis after Eriugena into and through the Middle-Ages, into the early modern period.)

I like the CD idea with info from the entire site. Or of the comments from individuals, e.g. Jason Pratt’s posts.

Is the plan to move everything to another site/server for reading only, but have future discussions on FB?

For those who don’t expect they’d participate in a FB (FaceBook) type of discussion format, perhaps the following two forums would be of interest:

christianforums.com/

city-data.com/forum/

Christian Universalists have been posting there for years, including some members of this site. I’ve seen them in these topics:

“Controversial Christian Theology
Nicene and Non-Nicene Christians only
(eg. full preterism, universalism).”

christianforums.com/forums/ … ology.130/

city-data.com/forum/christianity/

Another forum is at Tentmaker, though i don’t know if they’re accepting new members at this time.

These are all excellent options to find Christians (& others) who will attack you for what you believe ;