The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Should we form universalist congregations?

I don’t know Paidion, I don’t think that’s an unreasonable reading because any significant (genuine) “change of mind” is going to affect a “change of heart” which can only be seen in its accordant “change of behaviour” – secular or religious for that matter.

The key there qaz, is **not **what others think - what do you think? And the only way you can have an informed opinion - regarding a church - is to visit it (i.e. ask questions, observe, listen, watch, etc.).

My understanding of ‘change of heart’ is in part inspired by J B Phillips rendering of the word. He maintained that from his perspective, the heart is where conviction lies within us. :smiley:

I would look for what is called a “Continuing Anglican church”:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuin … n_movement

In short, the Continuing Anglicans have continued with the faith of C. S. Lewis.

The mainstream Anglican church, in contrast, has become the Church of Anything Goes. I do not think they have excommunicated anyone since before I was born. (I’m 46 years old.) Amongst other things they have:

bishops who deny that Jesus Christ rose from the dead
priestesses
widespread acceptance of abortion, homosexuality, fornication, divorce, etc.
widespread acceptance of every theological deviance you can imagine (denial of the Virgin Birth, denial of the deity of Christ, etc.)

Out of all the western forms of Christianity, historic Anglicanism is the closest to Orthodoxy. As such, I am deeply distressed by the deep inroads of rank heresy within the church that C. S. Lewis and George MacDonald used to attend. At least the Continuing Anglicans are keeping the torch alight.

I am an Anglo-Orthodox Traditionalist (AKA Anglo-Catholic and Continuing Anglican movement, with an Eastern Orthodox twist). That’s the one I like. In the words of Wiki: :smiley:

Holy Fool, a few questions for you:

1. Do you attend a Continuing Anglican parish? Are these parishes very easy to find, or are they somewhat rare?

2. What are your beliefs regarding the veneration of the Theotokos, the saints, and the orders of angels?

Wasn’t it a Congregational church that George MacDonald used to attend, and from which he was forced to resign as pastor by lowering his salary to the point that he could not live from it?

Yes. The Anglican Church I go to, is under the umbrella of The Anglican Church in North America. Their website is anglicanchurch.net/ and there is a link, to find a church. You can find more about them on Wiki at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglican_Church_in_North_America.

Yes. Later in life he attended the Anglican Church.

Well a 3 hour drive is a bit much every Sunday morning, dagnab it.

The Episcopalians, being more liberal (i.e. gay rights, etc.), probably won’t care. Anglicans in the containing Anglican movement, might be a bit more sensitive. Although if you devote time, to show you believe in and follow, historical Anglican creeds and beliefs - they might let it pass. The best thing is not to mention it. I’ve never been asked at any service (Anglican, Lutheran, etc.), to share my beliefs.

I call it the “Universalists, don’t ask - don’t tell” policy. :laughing:

I sincerely feel bad for western Christians, having to deal with Hell nonsense on the one hand or LGBTQQIP2SAA nonsense on the other. If that were my choice, I would simply stay home on Sunday mornings rather than subject myself to such things.

I had to google that acronym. I am, like, SO behind the curve… :laughing:

Another one is LGBTTQQFAGPBDSM.

I suspect that they are just getting started. Give it a few years and they’ll look something like LGBTTQQFAGPBDSMASDLKFJDEWAFJEOWNVOIAWINUNCIUWEAUHTIUBBHBWAEHFBEWHJFBWEBFYEWAFEWFBEWANMBJWEFWE.

:laughing:

Acronyphobia
The irrational fear of acronyms. One might have been in a very confusing conversation, not knowing what they were being told because of the excessive use of acronyms. When they hear an acronym, or see one, they have similar panic attacks and feelings to that of other phobias.
Dude, I’ve got Acronyphobia. I can’t bear to hear or see an acronym, and just talking about it makes me shudder. - the Urban Dictionary

Yep, that’s me :laughing:

Here’s a trivia fact about acronyms at:

Which is the longest acronym in use?

So you don’t accept ROTFLBTCDICAJTTWADBSIHPWTRHITSBKABAYB as the longest English acronym according to the Urban Dictionary.

It is an acronym for “Rolling on the floor laughing biting the carpet dancing in circles and jumping through the window almost dying by smashing into HP who’s then running horrified into the street being killed accidentally by a yellow bulldozer.”

By the way, years ago, I wondered why there was not a word to describe a vacillating object whose vacillation accelerates until it stops. I’m sure you’ve seen that happen. So I coined the word “wangulate”:

I contributed this word and definition to an urban dictionary on the internet, and it spread to slang dictionaries all over the world. Later, I discovered that the word was already in existence with a crude meaning. However,at one time there were around a dozen dictionaries world-wide that contained my definition. At the present time, I can find only three:

slovar-vocab.com/english/slang-vocabulary/wangulate-6489440.html

johnscabin.com/slang/W.html

talk.patoghu.com/

Unfortunately, though the word supposedly entered the third dictionary on June 13, 2010, when I went to the site, I could not actually find the word. It appears to be a dictionary from India, and there must be a way of searching it of which I am not aware.

You know, if you like this church and the folks there, and are comfortable, why not hang with it a while… See what happens. And it is close to you. Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water :laughing: You might never have to deal with the issue. Hard to say. And if so your voice could mean something. And you could become a game changer. God may have big things in store for you! :smiley:

I’ll be prayin for ya.
Chad

From my understanding, while ELCA allows a pro-Gay marriage, etc, each individual church, congregation and clergy, are free to implement their own policies - regarding it. I do know ELCA Lutherans, who are really quite conservative.

AActually, there is one Evangelical Universalist denomination, the General Lutheran Church. https://www.generallutheranchurch.org/