The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Christian Universalism: An Exegetical Compilation

I’ve been working for several years compiling analyses of scriptures for or against Christian universalism – and I still have a long way to go! But I’ve compiled enough to start (ssslllllooooowwwwwllllyyyyy) posting up results, which will hopefully become a standard reference work for visitors to the site.

This will be the contents/index page for links to the individual entries, which I will post (since the discussion is nominally pro or con) in the general EU discussion category.

I will post the notes I personally promote at the beginning of each entry, and then invite members to add further discussion below in those individual threads (pro or con, possibly with reasoning for alternate interpretations).

Obviously this information will ditto other threads on the site to some extent. While I won’t include links to those threads for compilation purposes, members are strongly encouraged to hunt up and post links to those other discussions on site; and to add new links as new discussion comes up.

This thread is reserved for collecting links to my commentary compilations. The first subsequent entries will be to create categories for Old and New Testament texts.

Members may request entries on texts afterward. This thread is NOT for commenting on scriptures.

If you find my compilations helpful, feel free to tip me $5 here at Amazon, near or at the top of the list. You can tip me for multiple articles of course. (I get $2.50 of each single $5 tip.)

JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 1 John 5:16-17
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matthew 13
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 2 Peter 3:9, 15-18
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 13 to John 15
The problem of the atonement
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 17
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Isaiah 60
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Hebrews 9:9-10
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matt 7:13-23, Luke 13:22-30
Jesus talks about hell? What is it for?
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matt 10:28 / Luke 12:4-7
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 6:44
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Galatians 4
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Galatians 3:6-8
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Isaiah 49
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Lamentations 3
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 5:19-30
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 2 Peter 3:9, 15-18
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 12:30-50
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Mark 11:20-36, Matt 21:18-22
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 1 Tim 2:3-6
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Rev 3
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: 1 Tim 4:10
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Isaiah 66:24
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Rom 3:12
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Heb 3:17-4:16
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Hebrews 2:1-3a
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Hebrews 6
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Heb 10
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: John 8:21-28ff
JRP's Exegetical Commentary: 1 Timothy 1
JRP's Exegetical Commentary: John 10:22-28
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Ephesians 4:8-10
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Ephesians 4:6
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Hebrews 9:27
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matthew 25
JRP's Exegetical Compilation: Matthew 12:22-45

BOOKS OF TORAH (i.e. Books of Moses) + Job

Genesis

Job – Note, included with the Torah for its relative probable historical/narrative connections to pre-Abrahamic times

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

CHRONICLES OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH

Joshua

Judges

Ruth

1 Samuel

2 Samuel

1 Kings

2 Kings

1 Chronicles

2 Chronicles

Ezra

Nehemiah

Esther

POETIC BOOKS

Psalms
Psalm 13; (punishment not hopeless)(warning against non-universalism): David hopes God will condemn to punishment those who refuse to have mercy on sinners God has condemned to punishment. See comments on Rom 3:12.
Psalm 41; (punishment not hopeless)(warning against non-universalism): see connective comments at John 13 where Jesus applies this Psalm to Himself and to Judas Iscariot
Psalm 53; (punishment not hopeless)(warning against non-universalism): David hopes God will condemn to punishment those who refuse to have mercy on sinners God has condemned to punishment. See comments on Rom 3:12.
Psalm 68; (punishment not hopeless)(post-mortem salvation)(repentance of rebel kings)
Psalm 69; (counter-evidence against universalism) David prays for his enemies never to enter into the righteousness of God, quoted in reference to Judas by St. Peter in Acts

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes

Song of Solomon

MAJOR PROPHETS

Isaiah
Isaiah 49; (post-mortem salvation)(punishment not hopeless)
Isaiah 57; (evidence against universalism)(evidence against annihilationism)(punishment not hopeless)(post-mortem salvation)
Isaiah 60; (punishment not hopeless)
Isaiah 66; (counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless)(post-mortem salvation): the worm shall not die and the fire shall not be quenched.

Jeremiah

Lamentations
Lamentations 3: (scope of salvation)(punishment not hopeless)(against annihilation)(warning against non-universalism)(post-mortem salvation)

Ezekiel

Daniel
Daniel 12; (counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless)(post-mortem salvation)

MINOR PROPHETS

Hosea

Joel

Amos

Obadiah

Jonah

Micah

Nahum

Habakkuk

Zephaniah

Haggai

Zechariah

Malachi

THE GOSPEL OF THE MESSIAH

According to Matthew
Matthew 7:1-23; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism): enter by the narrow way, the wide way leads to destruction; every tree that does not bear good fruit is chopped down and thrown into the fire, and Jesus will tell those who are false servants to depart from Him as lawbreakers; beware the false prophets who come in sheep’s clothing but inside are ravening wolves; do not judge lest you be judged, for you will be judged by the standard by which you judge.
Matthew 8:5-13; (counter-evidence against universalism)(scope of salvation)(unexpected punishment): the healing of the son of the pagan centurion who has more faith than anyone found in Israel. “Sons of the kingdom” to be surprised at how many from outside the kingdom come in while they themselves are thrown outside, wailing and gnashing of teeth. See comments on Matt 7 and Matt 13.
Matthew 10:28; (counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless): fear Him Who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.
Matthew 12:22-45; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism): The incident of the sin against the Holy Spirit. Includes commentary on GosLuke and GosMark versions, including extensive commentary on GosMark’s term “eonian sin”.
Matthew 13; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism): The parable of the wheat and the tares/weeds; the parable of the good and bad fish; the parable of the sower and the different grounds.
Matthew 21:18-22; (counter-evidence against universalism)(praying for all salvation)(warning against non-universalism): the miraculous destruction of the fig tree, the mystery of granting of every prayer request. See comments on Mark 11:20-36.
Matthew 22:1-14; (counter-evidence against universalism): The parable of the wedding feast and the rebels.
Matthew 25; (everlasting not everlasting)(punishment not hopeless)(counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism): Mostly about the judgment of the sheep and the goats, but also discussing the parable of the talents and the parable of the ten virgins along the way.
Matthew 26:24; (counter-evidence against universalism): Better for Judas if Judas had not been born.

According to Mark
Mark 3:22-30, the eternal sin, the sin against the Holy Spirit. See Matt 12 commentary.
Mark 4, where parallel to Matt 13 see commentary there.
Mark 11:20-36; (counter-evidence against universalism)(praying for all salvation)(warning against non-universalism): the miraculous destruction of the fig tree, the mystery of granting of every prayer request.
Mark 14:21, better for Judas if Judas had not been born. See Matt 26:24 commentary.

According to Luke
Luke 6:35-38, do not judge and you will not be judged, do not damn and you will not be damned, by your standard of measure shall it be measured to you. See Matt 7 commentary.
Luke 11:14-26, Jesus is accused of healing by the power of Satan, saving one whose latter state is worse than his first. See Matt 12 commentary.
Luke 12:4-7, fear Him Who after killing has authority to cast you in Gehenna. See Matt 10:28 commentary.
Luke 12:8-10, the sin against the Holy Spirit, the sin that shall not be forgiven. See Matt 12 commentary.
Luke 13:18-21; see comments on Matt 13:31-21, and on Matt 13 in general.
Luke 13:22-29; are only a few being saved; strive to enter by the narrow gate; Jesus will tell those who are false servants to depart from Him as lawbreakers, thrown outside with wailing and gnashing of teeth. See comments on Matt 7:13-21
Luke 14:16-24, Jesus gives an earlier and non-violent version of the parable of the wedding feast. See Matt 22 commentary for discussion on both versions of the parable.

According to John
John 1:1-18; (scope of God’s intention)(empowerment by God)(mercy for mercy)
John 5:19-30; (punishment not hopeless)(post-mortem salvation)(all things gathered finally under Christ): the goal of the judgment of the Son at the resurrection of the good and the evil.
John 6:44; (all things gathered finally under Christ)(post-mortem salvation)(total scope)(total assurance): the main text about Jesus dragging all toward Himself.
John 8:21-28ff; (counter-evidence against universalism)(post-mortem salvation): a group (of Pharisees?) shall certainly be dying in their sins for rejecting Jesus as “I AM”, and then shall be accepting Jesus properly as “I AM”.
John 10:22-28; (counter-evidence against universalism)(assurance of evangelical victory): some people are not of Jesus’ flock; those in the flock will surely be saved.
John 12:30-50; (counter-evidence against universalism)(all things gathered finally under Christ)(intention of judgment)(annihilation refuted)(post-mortem salvation): the other “dragging all” text, along with judgment.
John 13; (counter-evidence against universalism)(scope of salvation): Judas prophesied to betray Jesus, Jesus doesn’t choose Iscariot for something. Discussion included in comments on John 15.
John 15:1-7; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning about non-universalism)(the name of Jesus): Those who remain in the Vine are cleaned, those who do not are burned. Jesus’ intentions toward Judas Iscariot. The first half of the Final Discourse generally, including back into John 13.
John 17; (counter-evidence against universalism) (all things gathered finally under Christ) (post-mortem salvation): Jesus’ intentions toward Judas Iscariot. “I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me”.

ACTS OF THE APOSTLES AND EPISTLE TO THE HEBREWS

Acts of the Apostles
Acts 1:15-26; (counter-evidence against universalism): Peter’s denunciation of Judas.

Epistle to the Hebrews
Hebrews 2:1-3a; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism)(salvation of rebel angels): how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which was at the first spoken through the Lord? Includes some discussion of Heb 1:6 and Psalm 97:7.
Hebrews 3:17 - 4:16; (counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism): God swears in His wrath “They shall not enter My rest”
Hebrews 6; ; (counter-evidence against universalism)(persistence of salvation)(Abrahamic covenant): For it is impossible for those once enlightened and falling aside to be renewed to repentance, being disqualified and near a curse whose consummation is in burning.
Hebrews 9:9-10; (everlasting not everlasting)
Hebrews 9:27; (counter-evidence against universalism)(covenant for salvation): Just as man is appointed to die once, and after that, judgment. Includes discussion of preceding and subsequent contexts into the first half of Hebrews 10.
Hebrews 10; counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless)(warning against non-universalism): trampling underfoot the sacrifice of the Son of God, and blaspheming the Spirit of Grace, is a really really really bad idea.

EPISTLES OF SAINT PAUL

Romans
Romans 3:12; (counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless): are those who do evil intrinsically worthless to God?

First Corinthians

Second Corinthians
2 Corinthians 5:14 - 6:2; (scope of salvation)(all things gathered finally under Christ)(post-mortem salvation)(warning against non-universalism)

Galatians
Galatians 3:6-8; (scope of salvation)(persistence of salvation): one of the New Testament discussions of the Abrahamic covenant
Galatians 4; (counter-universalism evidence)(adoption): St. Paul’s remarks on adoption, and on the symbolism of Hagar and Sarah.

Ephesians
Ephesians 1:9-23; (all things gathered finally under Christ)(rebel angels saved)(descent of Christ into hades)(scope of salvation)(certainty of salvation) When Calvinists talk about the “secret will” of God, for some reason they don’t talk about what Paul explicitly says here is the secret will of God! :laughing:
Ephesians 2; (counter-evidence against universalism)(evidence against Calvinistic non-elect)
Ephesians 3:7-11; (scope of salvation)(salvation of rebel angels) Or more precisely, the church is expected to evangelize even rebel heavenly powers to salvation! :open_mouth:
Ephesians 3:14-15; (God the Father of from whom all families or the whole family in heaven and on the earth is named) See comments on Eph 4:6.
Ephesians 4:6; (God the Father of all)
Ephesians 4:8-10; (descent of Christ into hades)(salvation of rebel angels)(scope of God’s salvation)(assurance of God’s salvation)(post-mortem salvation)(punishment not hopeless)

Philippians

Colossians

1 Thessalonians

2 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians 1:6-10; (counter-evidence against universalism)(post-mortem salvation)(everlasting not everlasting)(punishment not hopeless): those who do not obey the gospel are punished with eternal extermination from the presence of the Lord and the glory of His strength

PASTORAL EPISTLES FROM PAUL, JAMES, PETER AND JUDE

1 Timothy
1 Timothy 1; (punishment not hopeless)(salvation of Satan)(scope of salvation)(persistence to victory) Paul, who was once the foremost of sinners, hands other rebel servants of God over to Satan so that, like Paul, they will learn not to blaspheme
1 Timothy 2:3-6; (all things gathered finally under Christ)(scope of salvation)(certainty of salvation): God wills all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth
1 Timothy 4:1-10; (counter-argument against universalism)(scope of salvation)(certainty of salvation): God is the savior of all men, especially of those who believe

2 Timothy

Titus

Philemon

James

1 Peter
1 Peter 3:18-4:6; (post-mortem salvation)(punishment not hopeless)(storming hades)
1 Peter 4:17-18; (counter-evidence against universalism)

2 Peter
2 Peter 3:9: (counter-evidence against universalism)(scope of salvation)(certainty of salvation)
2 Peter 3: 15-18:(counter-evidence against universalism)(warning against non-universalism)

Jude

EPISTLES FROM AND REVELATION TO JOHN

1 John
1 John 5:16-17; (counter-evidence against universalism): pray for those who are not sinning unto death, don’t ask about those are sinning unto death.

2 John

3 John

Revelation of Jesus Christ to John
Relevations 3; (counter-evidence against universalism)(punishment not hopeless): being written out of the Book of Life, being vomited out of Christ’s mouth

Members can request entries on texts after this point. :slight_smile:

(Edited to add: Or rather, members can request entries after this point, once I’ve already put up a bunch of things, so you-all will have some idea what to make requests for. I’m locking it until then.)

Not sure what you mean by this, Jason? http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/confused/confused-face-smiley-emoticon.gif

I just mean from here out in the thread if someone wants to request an entry they can. I have a huge amount of material already ready to go (although I’m delaying a little longer so I can finish compiling my notes on the GosJohn prologue, which I haven’t gotten around to adding to my giant notesheet – I want to lead out with a Gospel entry, and being a systematist I want to do the Gospels in some kind of narrative order :wink: ), but I haven’t got notes on everything yet.

Of course, it would be probably better to wait a few months until I’ve posted up a lot, so that a better idea can be gotten of what I haven’t looked at yet. :slight_smile: (Even then I might just not have gotten around to posting my notes on it.)

So perhaps until then I should lock this thread?

Hmm, probably – if you want to keep a handle on what order you put stuff up, that seems like a good idea. Looking forward to seeing what you post. :slight_smile: