The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What's Is Everyone's Favorite Religious Movie?

Yep. Not only is Ben-Hur my favorite religious movie, but it is also one of my top five movies of any sort.

The Natural was pretty awesome, as was Field of Dreams.

Though probably not thought of as a ‘religious’ movie, THE FAMILY MAN, made a big impact on me. If you haven’t seen it, I would recommend it. There are very subtle illusions to Christianity throughout the movie, but, whether or not one catches that, the message it gives is clear.

I also thought Narnia films, both the Witch, the Lion and the Wardrobe, as well as Prince Caspian were great, but, then, I am a big fan of C.S.Lewis.

Another one that stands out in my mind is It’s a Wonderful Life, that timeless Christmas classic.

D.

The Young Messiah was really, really good. Plus, Sean Bean!

If you liked Facing the Giants, check out 23 Blast. It’s a true story based on someone I went to seminary with, who is himself now a pastor as well.

That looks like a fun and inspiring movie, STP!

I’m not sure which is my favorite. Some already mentioned are up there. I would add:

The Robe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robe_(film)

The Passion of the Christ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Passion_of_the_Christ

My wife just watched ‘Come Sunday’ on NFlix. True story of Carlton Pierson, a black minister who trained under Oral Roberts, and then broke away because God spoke to him concerning the falsity of ETC; so with that and looking at the scripture, he adopted universalist theology. Of course, he then lost his church over it but recovered eventually and now pastors a large Universalist Unitarian church in, I think, Tulsa Oklahoma.
I will watch it tomorrow - my wife was very impressed with it. Martin Sheen plays Oral Roberts (!) and apparently does a good job.

Great movie!

I don’t have a favorite religious movie, but I love love LOVED the series “The Bible”. It was on netflix I believe for a while, it may be gone now, but it made me think, made me cry, gave me hope, I know it wasn’t perfectly biblical, nothing ever is, but I just adored that series.

I liked that movie a lot as well, very freaking good. And as cheesy as it is? RUTH on pureflix is pretty good, it’s… B Grade, but something about it is still very heartwarming.

As far as I know, qaz, he is his own man and preaches Christ - and walks the walk, most importantly.
That’s about all I know.
Some UU’s are way out there. Some, like me (though I don’t attend a UU church around here - I don’.t think they’ve even Heard about Jesus ;-)) - consider ourselves very orthodox.

Amen :grinning:

Not my fav of all time, but some here might want to check it out:

The Encounter (I) (2010)

Also:

Paul, Apostle of Christ: Official Trailer | Now Playing

Origen, I’m very fond of “The Robe” also. But I guess I’m still a child at heart. My favourite is “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” based on C.S. Lewis’s book with the same title.

You can see it free on You tube:

OH! OH! When I tried to watch it, all I got was a dark or black image. However, this earlier version works:

Not the most accurate portrayal, but it made Jesus 3-D to me, and touched my heart, back in ’73—

1 Like

As a pastor, for 7 years, I sponsored a monthly potluck dinner and movie (on a Christian theme) night.

The British Film Academy once voted “The Mission,” starring Robert De Niro and Jeremy Irons, as the best movie of all time on a spiritual theme. I agree with THatch’s vote for this movie. The Screen Actor’s Guild voted its musical score the 17th best ever–and the movie’s not even a musical. More specifically, I’d say that the movie contains the most gripping conversion scene ever put on the silver screen and that the moral dilemma it portrays is also the most profound in movie history. That said, it is too slow-paced for many American short attention spans. See the trailer here:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+mission+robert+de+niro+youtube&view=detail&mid=EFE23A32E759EF9C1783EFE23A32E759EF9C1783&FORM=VIRE0&mmscn=tpvh&ru=%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dthe%2Bmission%2Brobert%2Bde%2Bniro%2Byoutube%26form%3DEDGNB1%26mkt%3Den-us%26httpsmsn%3D1%26refig%3De14e8a6008fd4acb944859c3342df37d%26sp%3D-1%26ghc%3D1%26pq%3Dthe%2Bmission%2Brobert%2Bde%2Bniro%2Byoutu%26sc%3D0-32%26qs%3Dn%26sk%3D%26cvid%3De14e8a6008fd4acb944859c3342df37d

My 2nd favorite is Ingrid Bergman’s greatest acting performance in “The Inn of the Sixth Happiness,” a movie based on the true story of the most influential Protestant female missionary of all time, Gladys Aylward. Many critics said that her performance here is superior to the one that gained her the Best Actress award the previous year, but that the Academy didn’t want to give her the award 2 years in a row. The movie is old and dated(1950s), but I was deeply moved by this story of a humiliated cleaning lady who was constantly reminded that she lacked the ability to be a missionary to China. Happily, I just discovered that this movie can be watched in its entirety here:

3 Likes

Alida had two favourites which she watched over and over again:

Chariots of Fire, featuring the disparate lives of two famous runners - Harold Abrahams and Eric Liddell.

A Man called Peter, the life story of Peter Marshall.

2 Likes

Yes, “Chariots of Fire” is a great movie, too, and I showed it at our church’s monthly potluck dinner and movie night. It won 4 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, and was the first movie ever to use synthetic music. Admirers of this movie should watch this video that demonstrates how noble Eric Liddell (a central character in the movie) was as an imprisoned Scottish missionary to China after his career as an Olympian ended:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=eric+liddell+youtube+can't+believe+it's+true&view=detail&mid=7E5898144840838B0CED7E5898144840838B0CED&FORM=VIRE

The Shack (2017)
In my opinion, this may be the most important movie yet made.

Fyi,

-Sam Worthington from Australia is actually a Christian, and plays Mackenzie “Mack” Phillips.

-Avraham Aviv Alush from Israel plays Jesus.

-Tim McGraw, an American country singer (married to country and pop singer Faith Hill) plays Willie.

-Sumire Matsubara from Tokyo is a singer, actress and model who plays the Holy Spirit, “Sarayu.”

In the following scene, Wisdom (“Sophia”), played by Brazilian actress Alice Braga, confronts Mack about his judgmentalism, hell, and the true nature of God, in a cave of enlightenment:

1 Like