The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Magical short documentary on George MacDonald.

Many of you good folk mention George MacDonald a lot. I didn’t know anything about the man, and I came across this short 8 part documentary:

youtube.com/watch?v=jjLc4FVh … 92&index=1

I’ve just watched it and wow he is a very interesting, inspiring man. The few quotes mentioned touched my spirit. :smiley: I can’t wait to start reading his works. Where should I start… :smiley:

Edit: I noticed that if I watched in a large window, the videos skipped, whereas if you watch them in the smaller window they play in order. :wink:

Mod edited to add all 8 parts in YT code.

Hi Catherine, :smiley:

Just watching the documentary, now. I tend to soak up anything I can find about George MacDonald. From what (I think) I’ve learned about you in your time here, I would recommend reading his story “The Wise Woman” alson known as “A Double Story.” It’s a fairy tale of sorts with lots of MacDonald’s theological insights and, in a way, “purgatorial education” plays a big role. Of course his unspoken sermon “Justice” is a classic of his and a “must read” for anyone exploring Christian universalism. But I think for many people, his insights really sink deeper if encountered in his fiction which is often in the form of parables of a sort. Here’s “A Double Story.” gutenberg.org/files/5676/5676-h/5676-h.htm
…and here’s “Justice.” ccel.org/ccel/macdonald/unspoken3.viii.html I do hope you read them! :smiley:

Thank you Steve. ‘The Wise Woman’ it is. I’ll also check out the links to the other works. That’s great. Thanks again. :smiley: I’ll let you know how I get on with ‘The Wise Woman’. :wink:

Just to be clear, “A Double Story” is the same as “The Wise Woman”, Catherine. And, yes, do let us know how you get on with them. :smiley:

Now with all 8 parts linked in Catherine’s original post. :slight_smile:

Incidentally, it’s worth noting (per part 7) that, like Socrates vs the sophists, MacDonald was opposing the occultists of his day. Unlike what some people would say whom I could mention like Dr. McClymond but won’t. :mrgreen:

Watched this quite a while ago, there’s some great stuff in it. I particularly treasure part 6 - that letter is a beauty.

Thanks, Catherine! And Jason for posting all these up so conveniently. :smiley: I enjoyed them greatly. And I know you will enjoy The Wise Woman/A Double Story, too. It’s among my favorites.

Cheers Jason. :smiley:

Yes, I was relieved to see that MacDonald opposed the occultists. :smiley:

Glad you enjoyed them Cindy. :smiley: Just ordered 'The Wise Woman/A Double Story on Amazon for the princely sum of a penny (postage was £2.80). Can’t wait. :smiley:

Sorry Steve, I did indeed misunderstand you. I can make a start on the ‘The Wise Woman’ whilst I wait for the book to arrive. :wink:

Although I got my copy of ‘The Wise Woman and other fantasy stories’ a good few weeks ago now I’ve only just read ‘The Wise Woman’. I somehow felt it would be a story appreciated more so when the nights started drawing in and a hot bath beckoned. Well, last night was when I knew to start ‘The Wise Woman’ and I finished it this morning. What a beautiful enchanting story. I saw myself many a time as I read it…I won’t say anything else as I don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t read it. Thank you Steve for recommending it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

p.s
My son is taking the lap top shortly so I may not get to comment further for several days, so don’t think I’m ignoring anyone if I don’t reply. :wink:

Hi Catherine,

Like Steve, I would recommend The Wise Woman (also called “The Lost Princess”) as the first book to read. It is not just an ordinary “children’s book”; it is most instructive. Other great “children’s books” are The Princess and Curdie and The Princess and the Goblin.
In my opinion you should then read some of GMD’s novels before dealing with his theological works. I suggest you start with Sir Gibbie.

I trust you realize that you don’t have to buy GMD’s many books. The best online source I know is Project Gutenberg, which permits you to download GMD’s books free, and in several formats, including Kindle. Here is the link:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=George+MacDonald

Here is another site from which you can download his books free. This site seems to have the complete works of GMD, but you don’t have the same selection of formats:

onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupname?key=MacDonald%2C%20George%2C%201824-1905

Keep in mind that roughly half of MacDonald’s realistic novels have a lot of Scottish dialect in them. It doesn’t bother me, but it bothers some. For a good starter novel with Scottish dialect, I recommend David Elginbrod or Alec Forbes of Howglen. If you don’t want to deal with the dialect, I recommend Thomas Wingfold, Curate.

Paidion- thank you for those links. :slight_smile: My copy of the Wise Woman only cost me about £3.80 including postage so if I can get them for a similar price I’ll order. I struggle to read too much on the lap top, but if I can’t I know I can read them for free. Cheers. :wink:

Geoffrey- cheers for mentioning the dialect. My mum is Scottish and I use many Scottish terms so I may be ok. If not I can ask her or my friend who is also Scottish. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Catherine, :smiley:
Haven’t been around much so just saw your post after you read “The Wise Woman”. So glad you liked it! It really is a wonderful and meaningful story, I think. Glad you enjoyed your introduction to George MacDonald… :wink:

Here is a sample from the first chapter of David Elginbrod:

Fortunately (1) most or all of his theological/fantasy work doesn’t bother with burrs; and (2) some enterprising translator went back and put his novels into English some time ago. :slight_smile:

Phew. :open_mouth:

You mean Michael Philipps?