From now until the end of 2017?

Here is my list:

The Dark Tower
Blade Runner 2049
Star Wars The Last Jedi
JamesAH81072

Re: What Movies Do You Want To See In The Theaters

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Here's the problem. You picked some good NERD movies - that have potential. But do I see them, on the big screen? Or wait until they come out - on DVD? The key is what the collective rating is, on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. If it gets a rating of 80% or more, I see it on the big screen.

Take War of the Planet of the Apes - for example:

Rating: 95% - ‎207 reviews - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 8.1/10 - ‎26,930 votes - IMDb

Go see it, on the big screen.
Charismatic / Anglo-Orthodox / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby JamesAH81072 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:Here's the problem. You picked some good NERD movies - that have potential. But do I see them, on the big screen? Or wait until they come out - on DVD? The key is what the collective rating is, on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. If it gets a rating of 80% or more, I see it on the big screen.

Take War of the Planet of the Apes - for example:

Rating: 95% - ‎207 reviews - Rotten Tomatoes
    Rating: 8.1/10 - ‎26,930 votes - IMDb

Go see it, on the big screen.

Meh I don't go by movie reviews. I can see why some do as RT seems to be the standard bearer for movie reviews but for me it's all about being the movie nerd I am. I will probably watch the new Apes movie when it comes out on DVD or digital but I still haven't seen the other two so I might wait until they come out with a trilogy box set to see all 3.

I'm limited when I can go see anything at the theaters due to it becoming expensive and I'm now an IMAX 3D junkie since seeing SW:TFA in IMAX 3D so any movie I go see must be in IMAX 3D and that can drain the wallet factoring in snacks and such as well.
JamesAH81072

Postby DaveB » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:20 pm

The wife and I try to make the Tuesday all-day $5 shows - but add in a snack/drink, you can still drop a $20 bill.
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:57 pm

DaveB wrote:The wife and I try to make the Tuesday all-day $5 shows - but add in a snack/drink, you can still drop a $20 bill.

You are learning a lesson about marketing, Dave. Same goes for the gas station. They don't want you, to just see a movie. And they don't want you, to just buy gas. They make their money, on the concession stand. Or on the convenience store - within the gas station. Or use their super-duper, hi-tech car wash.

I saw War for the Planet of the Apes, for $5 on Tuesday also. But this super movie station, as a full service bar., restaurants inside, etc. And reclining seats, where you can put your feet up. With the automatic recliner.

And don't forget about all the ads you view, before the movie starts :!:
Charismatic / Anglo-Orthodox / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:19 am

Here's something I've shared on Twitter today:

This message is from renown marketer - Seth Godin. And is consistent with the approach, of direct response copywriting and marketing.

Like the commercials you see - in the movie theaters!

But the second part of the message, is scientific measurement. Which is also something, direct response copywriting and marketing - excels at.

If you want to reach more people, if you're measuring audience size, then the mantra of the last twenty years has been simple: make it dumber.

Use clickbait headlines. Short sentences. Obvious ideas. Little nuance. Don't make people uncomfortable or ask them to stretch. Remind them that they were right all along. Generate a smile or a bit of indignation. Most of all, dumb it down.

And it works.

For a while.

And then someone comes along who figures out how to take your version of dumbness and go further than you were willing to go. Until everything becomes the National Enquirer.

While this downward cycle of dumb continues to be passed from hand to hand, a few people headed in the other direction. Measuring not the size of the audience, but their engagement, their commitment and the change that was possible.

This is an upward cycle, a slow one, a journey worth going on.

Dumber is an intentional act, a selfish trade for mass. It requires us to hold something back, to avoid creating any discomfort, to fail to teach. Dumber always works in the short run, but not in the long run.

Don't confuse dumber with simpler. Simpler removes the unnecessary and creates a better outcome as a result. But dumber does little but create noise.

Everyone owns a media company now. Even media companies. And with that ownership comes a choice, a choice about the people we serve, the words we use and the change we seek to make.

It's only a race to the bottom if we let it be one.
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 am

Good stuff, Randy. Recommended reading is Captains of Consciousness by Stuart Ewen. Fascinating.

A pdf I just found online gives a pretty good taste:

https://www.crashdebug.fr/media/Docs/ew ... usness.pdf
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 am

DaveB wrote:Good stuff, Randy. Recommended reading is Captains of Consciousness by Stuart Ewen. Fascinating.

A pdf I just found online gives a pretty good taste:

https://www.crashdebug.fr/media/Docs/ew ... usness.pdf

Hey, Dave. This PDF looks like scholarly stuff - with footnotes. And not the stuff, my Zombie friends normally read. I left my pair of "Dumb and Dumber" glasses at home. So I can't read the supermarket tabloids now. Or those "prestigious" news publications, you mentioned in another thread. :lol:
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:40 pm

To my great surprise, I find that you are not alone, Randy:
https://undergraduatesciencelibrarian.o ... footnotes/

But really, you being one of the highly-educated personages around here, could probably handle a little ol' pdf. :lol:
DaveB

Postby Origen; » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:59 pm

JamesAH81072 wrote:From now until the end of 2017?

Here is my list:

The Dark Tower
Blade Runner 2049
Star Wars The Last Jedi

Most of those. Also:

Spider-Man: Homecoming
Scholars Corner:
http://www.tentmaker.org/ScholarsCorner.html

Minimal Statement of Faith for Evangelical Universalists:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=57
Origen;

Postby steve7150 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:40 am

The wife and I try to make the Tuesday all-day $5 shows - but add in a snack/drink, you can still drop a $20 bill. :evil: :cry:
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth". -Albert Einstein
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:42 am

Well, I'm off today - to see Wind River. But I'm normally a fan, of Nerd Science Fiction and Super Hero movies. :D
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Return to Film, Movie & Video Clips