The Evangelical Universalist Forum

On the Nature of God: "My Heart Is Changed Within Me"

Here at the forum I’ve argued that to rightly understand the apocalyptic imagery of the New Testament we need to master the prophetic imagination, the way the prophets told the story of covenant, unfaithfulness, judgment and eventual reconciliation.

To give one example of this, consider Hosea 11.8-9:

“How can I give you up, Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, Israel?
How can I treat you like Admah?
How can I make you like Zeboyim?
My heart is changed within me;
all my compassion is aroused.
I will not carry out my fierce anger,
nor will I devastate Ephraim again.
For I am God, and not a man—
the Holy One among you.
I will not come against their cities."

After speaking words of extreme judgment in the chapters preceding, on par with and at times exceeding the “weeping and gnashing of teeth” imagery in the New Testament, God sings out a lovesong to Israel. “How can I give you up?”

This is the theological idea, a claim about God, that I believe to be at the root of universalism. It is the logical outworking of the claim that “God is love” (1 John 4.8). After judgment God cries out “How can I give you up?”

That, it seems to me, is the crux of the matter. You either think God feels this way about humanity or you don’t. You either think God will give up on us eternally or that deep within the heart of God there is an eternal commitment to never give up.

I think, based upon my reading of the prophets, that God doesn’t give up. This is, of course, my opinion. And I could be wrong. And I need to jibe that assessment with other biblical texts. And so on and so forth. But at the end of the day it’s pretty simple: I trust in the God who sings after judgment How can I give you up?

Let me also key in on the phrase “my heart is changed within me” (NIV) from Hosea 11.8. This is variously translated:

“my heart churns within me” (NKJV)

• “my heart is torn within me” *(NLT)
    “my heart recoils within me” (ESV, NRSV)
    “my heart is turned within me” (ASV)
    “my heart within me is overwhelmed” (NJB)

The word here, what the New Jerusalem Bible translates as “overwhelmed,” is a very strong word. And it shows up in places like this:

Genesis 19.24-25
Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land.

It’s interesting that this word occurs in what we might call the original “fire and brimstone” text of judgment. And finding this word here highlights, I believe, something important about the Divine Nature. Specifically, that the compassion of God is the great counterbalance to the wrath of God. More, as Hosea 11 points out, the Divine compassion is greater than God’s wrath. God’s compassion will “overthrow,” “turn,” or “change” God’s wrath and judgment. This produces the last stanza of the lovesong: How can I give you up?

We could read this language of “changing” and “turning” too anthropomorphically. Given my theological sensibilities I’m very willing to do that. But for the sake of a broader consensus I don’t think we need to. I don’t think Hosea 11.8-9 is talking about God changing God’s mind. I think, rather, what we have is a picture of the Divine Nature. The notion that God’s compassion is integrally tied up with God’s wrath. More, the two–wrath and mercy–are counterweighted. God’s wrath “overwhelms” us in judgment. But God’s compassion “overwhelms” God’s wrath. And I don’t think this is best understood as a “changing” or “turning” of mind or will. This “turning” or “changing” is simply the way God is. In short, there is a “turn” and “change” inherent in the nature of God, a movement from judgment to compassion.

The problem, as I see it, with many Christians today is that they have no language, no way to describing, how it is a part of God’s nature to have the Divine compassion “overthrow,” “turn,” and “change” the Divine wrath. No way of describing this expression of gracious freedom welling up from the Divine pathos. This is what I mean when I say that many Christians have failed to grasp the prophetic imagination and, having failed to grasp it, have a distorted and unbiblical view of God.

Pretty awesome.

I concur with Rob :slight_smile:

This is great stuff, Richard :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Richard,

Thanks for a very enlightening and thoroughly thought-provoking post. While I clearly see God’s ultimate goodness and love (and I still have a fondness for the now practically archaic “lovingkindness”) for all creation, I’m not sure that I have ever fully grasped–and I have certainly not reconciled–God’s wrath and mercy. I am intrigued now, and I want to delve into the ralationship between the two, for I would have to conclude that there would be no point to God’s judgment and wrath being poured out, unless the eventual outcome were a thorough outpouring of a boundless, irresistible love. Irrestible, not in the sense that we are incapable of rejecting it in this dark-glass eon, but rather in the sense that we will not be able to turn away from it once we fully understand and immerse ourselves in it.

Richard,

I agree and I’m reminded of another passage that stood out to me during a recent reading of Jeremiah:

Jer 31:21 Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do remember him still. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, declares the LORD.

Thanks,
Sonia

could this be a little like the “bruised reed” Christ would not break?
the reed is damaged, but not irrepairably. He does not “finish it off”, but allows it to heal.

i believe there’s also a passage about God wounding us, and then binding up those wounds. it’s a mystery to us humans, so anthropomorphic language is used, but this gives rise to that odd seeming contradiction… but it’s no contradiction to a loving parent, who may have had to punish their child or student in some way, for their own betterment and that of others…the wounding may be necessary, but the binding up is a vital part of it that shows the child that they are valued, that the punishment has an end, that relationships can be restored, that we can learn from this and move on.
without the mercy, the punishment just destroys the child…it becomes abuse, and it turns to bitterness. nothing is learned, and things that may have improved get worse.
how foreign to God is that idea!

it may seem to us like He is changing His mind, but His love and mercy are the last word every time. judgement is followed by mercy…until judgement is no longer needed. and it is only their to train us in the way that we should go, to help us fit in with Him and with others in deepest harmony.

that word “lovingkindness” is beautiful and very descriptive, Psalmist :slight_smile: