The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Favorite Christmas Lyrics

I want to start this thread of everyone’s favorite Christmas carol or song and what lines or message that is near and dear to you. Please post a youtube vid, lyrics, whatever.

“God and sinners reconciled” :exclamation: :smiley:

My favorite rendition, of the Little Drummer Boy: :smiley:

or

youtube.com/watch?v=qJ_MGWio-vc

My favorite comedy Christmas song :exclamation: :laughing:

or

youtube.com/watch?v=MgIwLeASnkw

Excellent version of “Little Drummer Boy” :exclamation:

Here we go…

Skip Ewing “It Wasn’t His Child”

This is the live version, but the album version is worth the search. Also, His “Gospel According to Luke” is stellar.

I say the same things every year :laughing: Part of the fun of getting old I guess :exclamation:

Really nice, MM - I’d never heard of Skip!

Here’s one I always enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZhbJqX0fQ

Thanks Dave!

Paul Stukey’s “The Wedding Song” (There Is Love) is also great :exclamation:

This is one of my favorites…

The audio is from John’s “Live At Wolf trap” Album

Not sure who did the vid but the song and intro are classic!

This supposedly is a true story about WW1

No lyrics for this one. I used to LIVE for prog-rock guitar music. This is not that genre, but it is a Christmas tune from a surprising source. :laughing:

Very possibly the best rock guitarist ever, when speaking of ability. Crazy good. Played for Frank Zappa!

Satriani’s ‘Evil Twin’ :smiley: - was a student of Sat’s

How about this one :question: :laughing:

or

youtube.com/watch?v=EFLaUL8NG9Y

You very well may have ruined this thread :exclamation: :laughing:

Ya, very good technique, but I can only listen to Steve or Joe for just so long before I get bored. :question: :question: :open_mouth:

Now Eric Johnson, that is another story… Cliffs of Dover. Then we find a very capable copy cat in Joe Bonamassa. Wicked perfection there :exclamation: :smiley:

Definitely “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” has my favorite lyrics.

Unequivocally from the “fulfilled” perspective…

‘Joy to the world, the Lord IS come…’ :mrgreen:

MM - I will give you “Cliffs of Dover” - that is pure audio adrenaline, and I do crank it up to 11.

But - you will have to give me “Curacion” by Carlos Santana - turned up to 9 on a great sound system - oh baby!!

Davo, that carol is by far my favourite Christmas carol as well. Indeed it can be sung ANY time of the year, since it’s always appropriate.

I think all of us hold the “fulfilled perspective” concerning our Lord’s coming through being born from his mother, Mary.
Also we all share with the carol writer his desires concerning what should be the ramifications of that coming. I say “should be” because, contrary to the words of the carol writer, for example, Christ doesn’t exactly rule the world yet. If He did, the evils of the people of the world and nations of the world would not continue. John the writer of Revelation saw in his vision:

Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying, “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Anointed One, and he shall reign forever and ever.” (Revelation 11:15)

There will be a distinct difference in the way the world will be governed when it is under the rule of Christ. But it has continued in the same old way from John’s day until this day.

Jesus said:
I will no longer talk much with you, for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me. (John 14:30)

Jesus was expecting the ruler of this world was coming future to himself, and he didn’t mean any supposed coming of Himself in 70 A.D. For He asserted, “He has no claim on me.” Jesus probably referred to Antichrist, and Antichrist was not Nero either.

And, of course, the carol writer is not suggesting that the coming of which he writes is the ONLY coming of our Lord.

So no. Preterism isn’t implied by the song writer.

That little melody line in that song is just haunting!

O K

O Come O Come Emmanuel is mainly used as an Advent song but is close enough for me. The longing for the coming of the Messiah is portrayed beautifully in this hymn.

Here is the Enya versionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPHh3nMMu-I

Now, this hymn has a very rich and fascinating history. Wikipedia has a very good post about the hymn. You can view it here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_come,_O_come,_Emmanuel.

Here are the lyrics (one version)

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here,
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny ;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory o’er the grave.
Rejoice ! Rejoice ! Emmanuel

O come, Thou Dayspring, from on high,
And cheer us by Thy drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

O come, Thou Key of David, come
And open wide our heav’nly home ;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

O come, Adonai, Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes, on Sinai’s height,
In ancient times didst give the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

Yes I know Paidion… I was being just a little cheeky, hence my :mrgreen:

I just saw/see a deeper truth in those actual words. But that said, I won’t touch your other thoughts here lest this thread goes needlessly off topic.