The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Awakening

brain on lockdown, shutters closed over broken windows, soul in chains beneath a city in ruins, spirit weeping, searching, screaming

where is the light
where is the hope
where the wings of morn

darkness was a comfort till unbroken by dawn
only I within myself, a starless heaven
empty, gone,
formless and void,
what night unbidden lingers on
like this
what bliss hidden
awaits His kiss…
Awakening.

Awake O Sleeper. Rise from amongst the dead. The Light of Christ will shine on you.

Arise and Shine, for thy Light has come, and the Glory of the Lord has risen upon you.

For God who has said, “Light shall shine out of darkness” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the Glory of God in the Face of Christ.

The people who were sitting in darkness in the Valley of Darkness have seen a Great Light, and to those who were sitting in the Land and Shadow of Death, a Light has Dawned.

If I make my bed in Sheol, Behold, You are there.

Come quickly Lord Jesus.

Corrie ten Boom
“There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still.”

Many ‘pits’ for God to shine His light into. Depression, addiction, isolation, abuse, illness, prison, and so on.

Of course, there is death itself.

And, there is nothing like a burst of light, into an abyss of utter darkness.

Without God, we exist in utter darkness, being dead in our sin.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. John 1:1 - 5

And, then, God gives us His light, so we can pass it on to others:

14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.…Matthew 5:14 - 15

Beautiful imagery; a beautiful sentiment, and a most beautiful God.

D.