The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Fragmentary Blue

My favorite poem.
Robert Frost was raised Swendeborg. To a point where as a boy he would sit in a chair on his knees and bury his head into the back of it to quell the voices.
He never lost his traces of mysticism. A ‘wearing stone’ we would call an amulet.
But like everybody else he longed for something better.
I can’t believe I’m sharing this. Folks in my church would tell me to ‘buck up’ and go start a hockey fight or something.

Fragmentary Blue

Why make so much of fragmentary blue
In here and there a bird, or butterfly,
Or flower, or wearing-stone, or open eye,
When heaven presents in sheets the solid hue?

Since earth is earth, perhaps, not heaven (as yet)–
Though some savants make earth include the sky;
And blue so far above us comes so high,
It only gives our wish for blue a whet.

The garments of the Aaronic priesthood had on a the edge of the hem a blue cord to remind them of God. We can dye wool blue nowdays easily with chemicals and such, but to be authentic a Tekhelet society is dyeing blue wool the kosher way. This requires a whelk like sea creature and the proper Godly thoughts or meditations.

This was sent to me a couple yrs ago by a ‘dyer’(is that the word) of Tekhelet :

The Blue is similar to the sky, and the sky to the sea and the sea to G-d’s holy throne.
It is interesting to note that both the sea and the sky are transparent when looked at up close and yet majestic blue when looked at from afar.
We can see the beauty of nature and the wonder of g-d in everything, or we can see nothing at all. The Tekhelet is a reminder to see the “bigger picture” the beauty of nature and G-d in everything.