The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Song of A Baker

OH man, I just found this video of James Brown’s best dancing. It’s a compilation going way back to a never released song-- “Gutbucket” :laughing: I can’t help but smile listening to and watching JB. (I also had the privilege of living in his home town of Augusta Georgia for a couple years where there’s a statue of him now.)

Bill Murray! :laughing: One of my favorites! :smiley: Although if we’re judging by former SNL cast, Dana Carvey and Chris Farley win hands down. :laughing:

Immaculate boogie y’all :smiley:

:laughing:

I have to link to this song of JB’s just because of the title, it’s generally what I’d say walking into my sons’ stinky room…“It’s Too Funky in Here!” :laughing:

Now here’s song that always cheers me up if I’m down, The singer is Pat Arnold - the American girl who worked with the Small Faces for a time. She - no longer a girl - is 65 in this video!!!

The song is very upbeat -

youtube.com/watch?v=6AMZWRF7odY

If we’re getting into old school stuff, howsa bout some Chuck Berry…

Sorry, but I couldn’t resist putting up the most awesome cover of a Chuck Berry song ever :laughing:

Matt that’s sacrilege on a Mod thread (but it’s a good cover) :laughing: Now here is what a Mod calls R n’ B

youtube.com/watch?v=w5IOou6qN1o

Mmmhmm… now that’s some badass stuff there, my friend :wink:

Now here’s one you may remember, mate :wink:

And by Mod thread, are you referring to this?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mod_%28subculture%29

HMMM Matt -Killing me softly with his song ‘ hmmm it’s a sweet melody – but I have ever found the lyrics and their sentiment problematic. Can I honestly think of a single person I have ever known who I would like to be killed softly with my song’? Oh I know I’m being too literal here – but I can make an untuneful noise sometimes:-D And as for being too literal – well this is an evangelical site and it is to some the preferred method of exegesis – so I feel uneasy here
As for Pat Arnold’s song – well rather than reflecting ion her beloved’s awesome love she’s telling us what she’s got to offer in terms of love – and it’s strong and knowing but tender . And it’s a wise song too – love can mean many different things to different people and can bring lots of pain too. Btu she’s still standing and still optimistic and still has plenty to give and celebrate. I think Pat’s a fine woman. She cheers me up 

And as for Mod - minus the amphetamines - that’s it. Yay :smiley: The opposite of a mod is a hairy biker rocker :slight_smile: As I said I do like mod musical tastes and I’ve known some really nice mods - really erudite about black music etc and eager to share their record’s with you - nice guys. And mod girls were always the prettiest. But it’s an affectation with me rather than something that I really place my faith in. It’s a very English thing

We are the Mods!!! (and you can join too Matt :laughing: - it’s not an exclusive club)

Dick

Here’s my favorite version of “Killing Me Softly” from the Movie About a Boy. :wink: (my favorite scene in the movie)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzgllnPpMTs

Is that Hugh Grant token Englishman!!! :laughing: One of my sisters friends compared me to him once for some reason or another - and I replied wash your dirty mouth out with carbolic :laughing: High Grant is a sort of cross between a Young Fogy and a New Romantic - eeeeeeek :laughing:

Here’s a an original mod band. They had big cred - especially because they had the good sense to avoid fame. However, when Phil Collins said they were his major influence a lot of their kudos was blown :laughing:

And this is the seventies very early mod revival band that prevented me from continuing to be a hippy or a metal head when I was sixteen and saw them (the same year this film was made) -

youtube.com/watch?v=K6jXTDmmRzE

And that’s enough of esoteric musical tastes in R and B. :laughing:

This is cool too -

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7cGnucGNU

No I really love this performance of the coronation psalm :smiley:

Hi Dick,

Yes that was indeed Hugh Grant “token Englishman”. :laughing:

Great tunes above, but you forgot to put a link to one of the songs… :confused:

Here’s one from a mod band you might like… :wink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEep67akIn4

(Just trying out my youtube chops with Steve’s method - though I like the 1965 song and had a crush on Beverly Bivens.)

youtube.com/watch?v=Mg9pwMri8gI

You were on my mind - but’ I’ll Keep on Holding on’ :smiley:

and - Anthem - ‘The Kids Are Alright’ for a bit of group solidarity -

youtube.com/watch?v=afam2nIae4o

Thought I’d post another Van Morrison song. I suppose I’m not an especially pious person but this song is one that I can relate to and I’ve loved it since it came out. :wink: (Love the brass and the fiddle on this one!)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2JPqk1AzHA