The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Songs of worship, adoration and experience.

I thought it would be good to have a thread where members could post some of their favourite spiritual songs.
Here’s my starter which I hope you find as moving as I do:
youtube.com/watch?v=v8YOPj5TnUM

I just ran across this tonight:

youtube.com/watch?annotation … 3NuRYseJY8

It’s not a worship song or anything like that, or even anything necessarily Christian, but I thought the music was beautiful, and the video, though it tells a sad story, and ends tragically, is at the same time moving and spiritual, especially at the end, where there are some pretty strong UR undertones, I thought.

Let me know what you guys think.

I don’t listen to much music generally. One obscure christian CD I still like is Rick Wakeman: Prayers.

The Empty Vessel
youtube.com/watch?v=X5-IxfaZ-1E

Devotion
youtube.com/watch?v=bZ_SD5PHVm8

S.

The forums have definitely taken a musical turn this week – I like that!:slight_smile:

Some of my favorites:

“It is Well with my Soul”

youtube.com/watch?v=cPPSG_SpojY

I think my warm feelings for this song mostly come from memories of sitting in front of an adorable elderly German lady at church who would softly sing it as “It is vell, it is vell vith my soul.” :laughing:

“The Lord of the Dance”

youtube.com/watch?v=wwdmqM3pc68

I gotta go, but I’ll think take a look at you all’s songs soon and think on some more of my own, as well.:slight_smile:

~ Kate

This was one of the only “clapping songs” allowed at Mass when I attended a parochial elementary school, so it was obviously a favorite for most everyone. I later learned from the Prof that it is an old Quaker tune.

Great thread idea, John! :smiley:

I’ve been trying to narrow down the songs that really mean something to me spiritually and have (at least initially) narrowed it down to four. These are all from long ago “in a galaxy far far away…” in the days of the Jesus Movement and “Jesus Music”. The innocence, optimism, and joy of that time is something I remember well (though it may be just that I was just a kid and Jesus was new to me). I wonder if anyone here remembers that time and these songs? So…

Here’s a great one one you probably have heard from The Edwin Hawkins singers…youtube.com/watch?v=xpXCm6U0H6s

Here’s one from John Michael Talbot with his fantastic guitar playing…youtube.com/watch?v=dVHWTu__Zcc

Here’s one from JMT and his brother I especially love…youtube.com/watch?v=oyclkQUqUUA

And finally, one from an old folkie, Barry McGuire. The intro really makes this song, I think. It’s a bit longer with that but worth listening to when you have time. youtube.com/watch?v=tNRRgULP-G0

Steve

I love JMT too. His gift is very inspiring. Here is another great worship song:

John Michael Talbot - Come Worship the Lord
youtube.com/watch?v=c-EqB91jNJ4

Steve

So true! At one point, in a difficult time, I remember listening over and over to his more contemplative songs, lying in bed and falling asleep. Things seemed to fall into place in my mind and spirit and it all seemed, OK.

Have you seen recent photos of him? His beard is about three feet long and he looks like Moses or one of the early church fathers! (Very cool…)

Steve

Yes. He is a Moses and a David. He brings such a wonderful spiritual gift to so many people - through his harp! Truly amazing in this day and age.

Steve, didn’t know that was the Rick Wakeman of Yes fame. :smiley: Beautiful tunes!

John (Pilgrim) What a gorgeous hymn! :smiley: It was a new one for me and definitely very moving…

It’s really great to hear the music that speaks to people, here, though I find I have to really take a a breath and get out of the usual “posting” mindset to appreciate music linked to on a site like this. It really can’t be rushed to get anything out of it.

Steve

Yes, it was YES!

I stopped listening to secular music some time ago once I could see how we’re slowly influenced and groomed by our influences. I was working in the music industry (indirectly) for a while, and I boasted knowing every new band and genre. Now I hardly know of anyone. I am happy that Rick Wakeman was inspired to write such a beautiful album of prayers, and JMT is a wonderful blessing - not just in his music - in his very person.

Steve

That’s me! But just because I’m old (I think). :smiley: I do listen to popular music on the radio in the car, but am generally unimpressed and frequently just have to turn it off. I quit listening to CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) years ago when it started to all sound the same, became commercialized and generally lost the spirit that it seemed to have initially. Every now and then I’ll hear a song (secular music) that makes me take notice (generally something one of my kids has on their I-pod) but for the most part, I don’t keep up. :wink: I think much of the music that resonates with us as individuals is music associated with especially emotional times, new relationships etc. (and this is mostly , I suspect, greatest when we’re young).

Just my thoughts…

Steve

Young or immature… We can have our emotional maturity stunted by continually reflecting and belly-button gazing on emotional wounds. When we use the worlds music as a healing balm, or a pick-me-up, we are also emotionally (and spiritually) stunted, IMO. We often use the worlds music as an anthem-type music score in which we see our lives supplanted over and around. We see ourselves as more complete with an anthem, but this is again spiritually debilitating. I say this from personal experience as well as observing this butterfly effect for many years. It is a butterfly effect because the results are not always obviously traced back to the flapping wings. It seems impossible logically. The scriptures are clear on our associations: “Bad company corrupts good character” (1 Corinthians 15:33). This is no more clearly seen than the company we keep in our music idols. It corrupts our character and robs us of the Holy Spirit. We start mimicking the language and behavior of our idols and we abandon the character of the good shepherd and His apostles. It becomes a drug, even, and we will tear others to shreds in order to uphold the freedom of choice to associate with out worldly idols at every opportunity. Nothing is for nothing. There is always a price we pay for every freedom and choice. Music association comes with a heavy price.

Stefcui

Well…I think there is much to be learned and much truth in secular musicians just as there is in say… secular poets (see GMac’s praise of Percy Bysshe Shelley) How are we to know that so-called “Christian” musicians are spiritually pure? They too, are human, with weaknesses and faults just like the rest of us. I believe, as we mature as Christians, we have enough discernment to collect the grain and discard the chaff in any art we are exposed to. To limit our exposure to so-called “Christian” art is to miss out on a great body of wonderful truth and to enclose ourselves in a “Christian ghetto”.

All the best,
Steve

“The Time of the Singing of Birds is Come” by Merv and Merla Watson" (Song of Solomon 2:12)

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju90IF5RKYY

Lo, How a Rose E’er Blooming - Renée Fleming

My deceased wife used to sing this magnificent song—and just as well as Renée Fleming!

youtube.com/watch?v=fUGTzpntLs8

That’s a beautiful song, Paidion, and your late wife must have been amazingly talented!

I listen to some Contemporary Christian Music, but not very often. The most “contemporary” I usually go is more upbeat versions of the classics. I just got tired of the “seven eleven” songs – where you sing the same verse of seven words eleven times. :laughing: But that’s just a personal preference – I think Contemporary Christian Music has great worth, especially in reaching crowds that Christian music wouldn’t otherwise. One of my friends, who is intending to become a priest, absolutely loves Christian screamo.

I don’t have much of an ear for notes rhythm, so I tend to focus on a song’s words. It’s for that reason, I think, that I’m really fond of songs in foreign languages. (I tend to understand and appreciate how words flow together much more that musical notes.) I’m sure I completely butcher the pronunciation when I try to sing them, but no one else hears except for my poor dachshund, so I sing away! :stuck_out_tongue:

Kate, what did you think of the words to “Lo how a rose e’er blooming”?

Lo how a rose e’er blooming
From tender stem hath sprung
Of Jesse’s lineage coming
As men of old have sung.

It came a floweret bright
Amid the cold of winter
When half spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
This rose I have in mind.
With Mary we behold it
The Virgin mother’s kind.

To show God’s love so bright
She bore for us a Savior
When half spent was the night.

O flower whose fragrance tender
With sweetness fills the air
Dispel in glorious splendour
The darkness everywhere.

True man and yet divine
From sin and death he saves us
And shares our every care.

Music, IMO, stands in a class of its own. It is generally full of negative philosophy, innuendo, anti-psychology, worldviews and opinions which are directly contrary to christian values. Not every artist, but most artists are. Music, too, is repeated over and over to the point of brainwashing. Each to their own, but I think the scriptures are very clear about our associations.

Stef

Interesting discussion here :slight_smile:

As I’m typing this up, I’m listening to an album of ambient and mostly instrumental music on YouTube, by a composer named Hammock, the guy who did that video that I posted here earlier. If you want to check it out, you can find it here:

youtube.com/watch?v=6UlTJR9FY8Y

Lately I’ve been getting into dubstep and its variations a lot, mostly of the more reflective and contemplative variety, like what I’m listening to now.

It helps me to relax and focus a little better when I’m writing, or in this case typing, or when I’m working, which is when I most often listen to music, on my mp3, as I’m cleaning toilets or mopping floors, etc.
I work alone most of the time in the buildings I clean, so I have the freedom to do this, which I appreciate. :slight_smile:

I do enjoy a little rock here, and a little pop there, some music that makes you want to bob your head or dance a little, but mostly I like music that is more melodic, or acoustic, that’s more thoughtful, or has some depth to it, that speaks to the heart and the soul, as it were.

For example, I like a lot of ambient music, like what I’m listening to now, and have since I was a kid.
I don’t know, maybe I’m drawn to it’s because I’m a poet at heart or something. :wink:
Actually music has often helped me in my writing, inspiring me and helping me to focus. Not sure exactly why this is, but I’m grateful for it. :slight_smile:

I think, at least in some ways, for a lot of people anyway, music can be like a language for the heart, much as mathematics and science can be like a language for the mind. It can be a way to express what’s going on inside of us.

Of course, like with anything else that human beings create and put out there in the world, and with any way in which they express what’s going on inside of them, it can be good or it can be bad, it can beautiful or ugly, or more likely and more often some combination thereof, or in between.

I think you’re right Stef that sometimes music can be become a kind of idol for us, and for a lot of people, and some of the content of some music out there can be negative and even psychologically unhealthy in any number of ways, but then I think Steve is right too, that there can be a lot of value in music, and not just in music that is overtly ‘Christian’.

Come to think of it, I think some ‘Christian’ music out there can itself become a kind of idol for some people, and some of it may drive people further from God rather than draw them closer to God, for example by alienating them with lyrics that are either overly sentimental or irrelevant to their own lives and experience, to their struggles or their hopes, or by subtle underlying threats, some good ol’ fashioned turn or burn theology, and the like, within the lyrics, etc.

That’s not to say that all Christian music is like that. There’s a lot of good stuff out there, I think, and no doubt much of it of which I am unaware.
I don’t listen to a lot of Christian music I admit, mainly because I have found a lot of it bland and uncreative, but there is some stuff I like, and maybe if I explore more I’ll find more stuff that I’ll enjoy.

I’m most drawn to Christian music that is honest and heartfelt about the struggle between faith and doubt, music that is full of longing and aching rather than a self-assured certainty, music that is more of an unabashed cry for help and for healing, interspersed with humble thanksgiving and praise, rather than music that is preachy or has a little too much ‘Christianese’ in it.
I like Christian music that is more real, I guess you could say, and more subtle rather than forceful, where there is a sense that people are expressing more of what they really feel, rather than what they think they ought to say.

Here’s a couple examples of some of the Christian stuff I’ve come across that I’ve liked:

We Go On - The Normals -

youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_jpaUovOI (this is a video I made myself awhile back actually :wink:)

The Violet Burning - Forty Weight -

youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3SwxnlII0

Jesus - Rich Mullins -

youtube.com/watch?v=dbjsfbfH_3I

But those are just a couple examples of some Christian songs that I’ve liked though, and I’m sure there are others that I haven’t thought of.

I even like some of the old hymns, like Abide With Me and It Is Well With My Soul and a few others, for example, and I know there are stories of deep devotion and faith and even in the midst of great suffering and loss, behind a lot of them, and I respect that.

But to be honest, I’ve always struggled with the whole worship thing, meaning singing during a church service and that sort of thing.
In the past, when I was at the Baptist church I used to be a member at, I would sing along most of the time… sometimes my heart would be in it, when I resonated with the lyrics, or some of them, or the underlying message of the song; or when I thought that the words weren’t totally true to how I felt at the time, like ‘I love you Lord, and I lift my voice to worship you’, for example, I would sing it more as a prayer, wanting it to be true, or if it’s something that I wanted to be true of myself, that I wanted to mean; or, if it was something that I didn’t resonate at all with, or that I felt was irrelevant to where I was at nor even where I wanted to be, or was even threatening to me, I might not sing at all, and just sit quiet there in the pew, and think and pray.

There were times when I felt something stir within me, where I felt awakened by something bigger than myself, as I sung, other times I felt just dead inside, and everything in between… so I’ve struggled with it.

Nowadays, in the group that I’m in, the group will sing together, some songs I recognize, a lot of them I don’t (most of the group comes from more of a Pentecostal background, even though they’re all universalist, so their background in music is a little different too) and occasionally I’ll sing along with them, but most of the time I won’t, but will just listen and pray, or will write down poetry, or what I feel like I’m getting from God, that sort of thing, while everyone else is singing, and my pastor is totally cool with this, which I appreciate.

And anyway I wonder if worship isn’t so much about singing songs as it is simply about connecting with God on a deeper level, communing with Him in some meaningful way, whether that’s through singing or in some other way. I don’t think that God is egotistical or anything or needs our praise, but rather simply wants to make a deep connection with us, and if there be any praise or thanksgiving in that, I would imagine that He would want it to be real and from the heart, rather than forced or drawn out by manipulation.
For me this has come through everything from singing and writing to looking quietly up at the stars in the middle of the night.

Just to throw this out there, I think sometimes I have had this fear that God wanted us to conform to some kind of bland and lifeless order of things, lock and boot-step, everybody needs to get in line, everybody needs to live like this, or not live like that, read these books, or don’t read those books, watch these movies, or don’t watch those movies, listen to this music, or don’t listen to that music, be this way, or don’t be that way, do this, or don’t do that, etc, and I have sometimes got that impression from some Christians that I’ve run across, that when it comes down to it, they really have nothing to offer other than rules and regulations that take all the color and joy out of life, and they give the impression that God is all about forcing people to be exactly the same, to fit into a certain narrow mold, which take all of the uniqueness out of a person.
Sometimes I have felt that there is all this preaching and pressuring to got on board with a certain way of thinking and feeling about things, when what’s being offered is neither good news and even if it was some kind of truth, it wouldn’t be the kind that sets you free, like Jesus talked about…

I don’t believe that God is like this though, even if sometimes I’ve been afraid that He was.
I believe that God loves diversity and individuality, and all forms of creativity, and wants us to enjoy life and not feel as though we are in chains, boxed in claustrophobically, and though He does set some boundaries for our own good, and wants us to stay away from certain things because those things are destructive to us or those around us, I believe there is a lot more flexibility than we might think there is, and I believe God is at work within us and all around us in many ways, and when it come to things like what we’re talking about here, He can use just about any medium to speak to us and reach out to us, whether ‘Christian’ or secular, or anything in between.

I’m not sure how much of this relates to the topic at hand, but I just thought I’d put it out there, 'cuz it’s on my mind…

But back to the whole music thing, as far as instrumental stuff I like anything that I find beautiful, relaxing, moving, stirring, etc, and whether it’s performed by a Christian or otherwise. And a lot of instrumental music is kind of what you make of it I think. Without lyrics you can’t really pick apart its meaning or anything. You just take it for what it is, and whatever thoughts or feelings the music may evoke in the moment.
And if the sound of it resonates with you, then you can enjoy it and savor the flavor of it without too much analysis. :slight_smile:

And as far as vocal music with lyrics goes, as I said concerning Christian music, I like stuff that is honest and heartfelt, but I find this in secular music just as much as in, if not more in, Christian music.
There is a lot of beautiful and meaningful music out there that isn’t overtly Christian, or at least isn’t done by musicians who are under Christian music labels.

For example, a couple of my favorite music acts are Mumford and Sons and Lights, neither of whom are under Christian music labels, but who both produce some very spiritual and prayerful music.

Mumford and Sons is very popular at the moment, have won awards and stuff, and their music can be pretty raw and emotional at times, but some of their songs have a lot of depth and heart in them. From what I’ve heard, one or two of their members, including their lead singer, are Christians, if struggling ones (and aren’t we all?).

Here’s a couple examples of their stuff:

youtube.com/watch?v=z3RP1VbUaaA

youtube.com/watch?v=R5HO-X_fR7o

youtube.com/watch?v=ZVVXGuurXbA

Lights is an independent Canadian artist, a spritely young lady who does both upbeat techno kind of stuff, as well as acoustic music.
I tend to be more drawn to her acoustic stuff, though I do enjoy some of her more techno music, but anyways I find her singing style and some of her songs to be really spiritual and meaningful, and I have read that she is a Christian too, although she is more subtle and not very outspoken about it, and doesn’t work under any Christian labels.

Here’s a couple examples of her acoustic stuff:

youtube.com/watch?v=PwRtVRQmYU4

youtube.com/watch?v=KTfaQxqqaPI

youtube.com/watch?v=u7-Oc9zDpgM (a lovely cover of U2’s I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For here)

Now I know these folks, and all musicians, are just people like me, people who have their own struggles and their own wounds, have their own hope and dreams, their own stories to tell, and none of them are any more perfect than I am, and all of them need God’s grace and help as much as I do.
I don’t want to hold them up on pedestals or give them any more than my respect for their musical ability and appreciation for their gifts, and if I were to interact with them at all personally, just my love and support to them as a fellow human being.

There have been times that I’ve gone all fanboy I admit with some artists for a period of time, when they’re new and novel, but then reality soon kicks back in and I remember that they’re just regular people, broken people that God has gifted musically, and who are just expressing themselves creatively in the midst of their everyday up and down lives, much as I do through my writing.

So in short I think, though some music may have very little spiritual value, there is other music, whether Christian or otherwise, whether instrumental or vocal, that can be a very positive thing for people, and I believe that God can work through it to lead people into a place of prayer and even communion with Him, or at least lead them into a more spiritual and thoughtful mindset, where they are more receptive and open.

I admit I like headbanging to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC and the like every now and then, or foottapping to some upbeat dubstep and the like, but I do realize that most music like that doesn’t have a ton of spiritual benefit to it, even it I find it fun and exciting in the moment, and yet I think there’s a lot of music out there that helps me and others spiritually… sometimes when we don’t know how to pray and connect with God, there is music out there that gives our hearts a kind of language to work with, if that makes any sense.

I think God created music for a reason, and He has given us all of our creative abilities and outlets for a reason, and I think one of the big reasons for the existence of music and other kinds of artistic expression and creativity is for there to be a channel through which we can communicate with God, or with others, or even with our own souls, or in turn through which God can communicate with us, even if it is coming from others as well.

I believe that God has often spoken to me through something in a story, or something in a film, or, yes, something in a song… and the source has sometimes been not what everyone might expect… children’s fantasy stories, PG 13 or R rated movies, secular music…
He moves in mysterious ways, as they say. :wink:

Anyways, I think that should be enough for now, and this was probably longer than I intended. Me and all my rambling :laughing:

Blessings to all and peace :slight_smile:

Matt

So much good stuff to respond to here! Where to begin…

I really like the flow to the words (I prefer things that rhyme – I’m uncultured, I guess :laughing: ). I am always impressed when authors and songwriters can form rhymes and yet still maintain deep meaning behind the words. That is, they are not simply rhyming for the sake of rhyming; their rhymes add to the overall piece, rather than detract from it.

I also really like the meaning behind the words, because it connects Christ to nature, which is where I most easily sense God’s presence. Since I don’t have a formal church home, I say I’m a member of the Church of the Flowers – and this could be my church’s official hymn. :slight_smile:

Matt:

From one rambler to another, I really enjoyed your post! I think you’re spot-on in describing the fine balance between secular and Christian music – and the benefits and drawbacks to both.

I’d wholeheartedly second this – and it got me thinking of another outlet of creativity. I don’t think I’ve created anything musical since grade school, when my teacher would have us compose songs for the recorder, xylophone, and other classroom instruments (and my pieces were always dreadful!) As an Art Education and Photography student in college, however, I do express creativity throughout the day.

So, I ask, what role does art play in worship?

Personally, I feel like art is a spiritual activity. Most of the time, I draw or photograph animals, people, or things from nature. When I’m working on a project, I have to focus on the minute and miraculous details of a single leaf or a dog’s eye or a human hand for much longer than if I were simply passing by. For me, art is worship, a way of telling God, “You created something so amazing, Lord, that I long to capture ever last shape, shadow, and shade of its majesty.” My attempts are feeble, and I know I’ll never come close to capturing the beauty of God’s original creation, but I continually feel renewed excitement to try anyway.

I think studio art is similar to musical art in this regard. Music is humans’ attempt to capture the vague and indescribable emotions of the soul, and studio art is man’s attempt to understand the magnificence and meaning behind divine creation.

I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this – and maybe our resident artist, Cindy, will make an appearance, as well.:slight_smile:

Love to you all this Sunday morning,

Kate