The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Ben Myers with 20 Principles of Origen

Alex Smith posted this on his Facebook wall today, from a blog post by Ben Myers (though possibly not on his own blog; a comment may have suggested otherwise?)

The article independently comports very well with Dr. Ramelli’s remarks on Origen in her Tome, her monograph on Bardaisan, and elsewhere.

faith-theology.com/2016/06/a … gy-20.html

Thank you for linking to that, Jason. As I finished reading it I thought to myself, “This sounds very much like St. Gregory of Nyssa.” This was followed immediately by the thought: “Actually, St. Gregory of Nyssa sounds very much like this precisely because he was a student of Origen.”

I myself am very, very skeptical that the Fifth Ecumenical Council ever said a word against Origen, even as I am extremely skeptical that he ever beileved or taught the nonsense ignorantly attributed to him centuries later. Not only do the supposed statements of the Council against Origen look historically dubious, but we must also deal with the fact that a host of saints (including St. Athanasius, St. Gregory Thaumaturgas, St. Ambrose, St. Gregory of Nyssa, St. Gregory Nazianzen, and St. Basil the Great) had great admiration for Origen. On top of all that are the facts that Origen is a Confessor (i. e., a man who was physically tortured for the Faith) and that he lived and died at peace in the bosom of the Church.

I was thinking the same as Geoffrey as I read this :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link… Thought 4 and 8 were especially brilliant and beautiful.

I like that Jason has made Myers more known, and that Myers has made Origen more accessible and known :slight_smile: