Should we form universalist congregations?

Author of The Evangelical Universalist, editor of "All Shall Be Well" and coeditor of Universal Salvation?: The Current Debate Yes, use his real name for The Purpose That Shall Not Be Named. Yes, you can call him by his pseudonym, too (in posts, not for The Purpose). He's very easygoing. {g}

Moderator: Gregory MacDonald

Forum rules
This forum is reserved for Robin Parry (Gregory MacDonald). Registered users are not permitted to start topics. Please be patient as Robin is very busy, but will get to your posts.

Re: Should we form universalist congregations?

Postby qaz » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:41 am

Are Anglicans and Episcopalians okay with universalists worshipping with them?
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:00 am

qaz wrote:Are Anglicans and Episcopalians okay with universalists worshiping with them?

The Episcopalians, being more liberal (i.e. gay rights, etc.), probably won't care. Anglicans in the containing Anglican movement, might be a bit more sensitive. Although if you devote time, to show you believe in and follow, historical Anglican creeds and beliefs - they might let it pass. The best thing is not to mention it. I've never been asked at any service (Anglican, Lutheran, etc.), to share my beliefs.

I call it the "Universalists, don't ask - don't tell" policy. :lol:
EO and RC Mystical, Anglican/ Holy Fool Theologian; Nerdy Satirist; Pragmatist; Inclusivist / Purgatorical Conditionalist;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road Healing, Yoga, Zen); Homeopathy, Ayurveda; Chinese Medicine; Prosperity (Joel Osteen) / Full Gospel
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, P-Zombies, Guardian Angels and Devil's Advocates

Postby qaz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:52 pm

As I told Randy in PM, I went to my first ELCA service today. Loved it. Plus the fact that it's not far from my house helps. :)
qaz

Postby qaz » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:31 am

Sad news. Today it was announced that the ELCA church I've been attending the last couple weeks will begin promoting itself as pro-LGBT. :(

I'm starting to think forming universalist congregations might be a good idea. In my search for a spiritual home, I've found conservative churches, which have a high regard for scripture, but are exclusivist and/or fundamentalist; and liberal churches, which welcome all Christians to the Communion table, but do not have a high regard for scripture.
qaz

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07 pm

qaz wrote:Sad news. Today it was announced that the ELCA church I've been attending the last couple weeks will begin promoting itself as pro-LGBT. :(

I'm starting to think forming universalist congregations might be a good idea. In my search for a spiritual home, I've found conservative churches, which have a high regard for scripture, but are exclusivist and/or fundamentalist; and liberal churches, which welcome all Christians to the Communion table, but do not have a high regard for scripture.

I sincerely feel bad for western Christians, having to deal with Hell nonsense on the one hand or LGBTQQIP2SAA nonsense on the other. If that were my choice, I would simply stay home on Sunday mornings rather than subject myself to such things.
Nicean Universalism
http://niceanuniversalism.freeforums.net/
a new message board discussing Christian universalism
Geoffrey

Postby DaveB » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm

I had to google that acronym. I am, like, SO behind the curve................ :lol:
I really have lived in books. Books are friends. They are some of the friends that make you who you are.
stanley hauerwas
DaveB

Postby Geoffrey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:04 pm

DaveB wrote:I had to google that acronym. I am, like, SO behind the curve................ :lol:

Another one is LGBTTQQFAGPBDSM.

I suspect that they are just getting started. Give it a few years and they'll look something like LGBTTQQFAGPBDSMASDLKFJDEWAFJEOWNVOIAWINUNCIUWEAUHTIUBBHBWAEHFBEWHJFBWEBFYEWAFEWFBEWANMBJWEFWE.

:lol:
Nicean Universalism
http://niceanuniversalism.freeforums.net/
a new message board discussing Christian universalism
Geoffrey

Postby DaveB » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Acronyphobia
The irrational fear of acronyms. One might have been in a very confusing conversation, not knowing what they were being told because of the excessive use of acronyms. When they hear an acronym, or see one, they have similar panic attacks and feelings to that of other phobias.
Dude, I've got Acronyphobia. I can't bear to hear or see an acronym, and just talking about it makes me shudder. - the Urban Dictionary
-------------------------------------------------------
Yep, that's me :lol:
I really have lived in books. Books are friends. They are some of the friends that make you who you are.
stanley hauerwas
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

DaveB wrote:Acronyphobia
The irrational fear of acronyms. One might have been in a very confusing conversation, not knowing what they were being told because of the excessive use of acronyms. When they hear an acronym, or see one, they have similar panic attacks and feelings to that of other phobias.
Dude, I've got Acronyphobia. I can't bear to hear or see an acronym, and just talking about it makes me shudder. - the Urban Dictionary
-------------------------------------------------------
Yep, that's me :lol:

Here's a trivia fact about acronyms at:

Which is the longest acronym in use?

Adcomsubordcomphibspac is the longest English acronym. It's a navy term which stands for Administrative Command, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet Subordinate Command.
EO and RC Mystical, Anglican/ Holy Fool Theologian; Nerdy Satirist; Pragmatist; Inclusivist / Purgatorical Conditionalist;
Contemplation (i.e. Mindfulness, Red Road Healing, Yoga, Zen); Homeopathy, Ayurveda; Chinese Medicine; Prosperity (Joel Osteen) / Full Gospel
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, P-Zombies, Guardian Angels and Devil's Advocates

Postby Paidion » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:06 pm

So you don't accept ROTFLBTCDICAJTTWADBSIHPWTRHITSBKABAYB as the longest English acronym according to the Urban Dictionary.

It is an acronym for "Rolling on the floor laughing biting the carpet dancing in circles and jumping through the window almost dying by smashing into HP who's then running horrified into the street being killed accidentally by a yellow bulldozer."

By the way, years ago, I wondered why there was not a word to describe a vacillating object whose vacillation accelerates until it stops. I'm sure you've seen that happen. So I coined the word "wangulate":

WANGULATE to make the sound of an object vacillating back and forth at an accelerating pace until it stops Example: The pan you just placed on the counter is wangulating.

I contributed this word and definition to an urban dictionary on the internet, and it spread to slang dictionaries all over the world. Later, I discovered that the word was already in existence with a crude meaning. However,at one time there were around a dozen dictionaries world-wide that contained my definition. At the present time, I can find only three:

http://slovar-vocab.com/english/slang-vocabulary/wangulate-6489440.html

http://johnscabin.com/slang/W.html

http://talk.patoghu.com/

Unfortunately, though the word supposedly entered the third dictionary on June 13, 2010, when I went to the site, I could not actually find the word. It appears to be a dictionary from India, and there must be a way of searching it of which I am not aware.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby maintenanceman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:04 pm

qaz wrote:Sad news. Today it was announced that the ELCA church I've been attending the last couple weeks will begin promoting itself as pro-LGBT. :(

You know, if you like this church and the folks there, and are comfortable, why not hang with it a while... See what happens. And it is close to you. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water :lol: You might never have to deal with the issue. Hard to say. And if so your voice could mean something. And you could become a game changer. God may have big things in store for you! :D

I'll be prayin for ya.
Chad
maintenanceman

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:18 am

maintenanceman wrote:

You know, if you like this church and the folks there, and are comfortable, why not hang with it a while... See what happens. And it is close to you. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water :lol: You might never have to deal with the issue. Hard to say. And if so your voice could mean something. And you could become a game changer. God may have big things in store for you! :D

I'll be prayin for ya.
Chad

From my understanding, while ELCA allows a pro-Gay marriage, etc, each individual church, congregation and clergy, are free to implement their own policies - regarding it. I do know ELCA Lutherans, who are really quite conservative.
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby qaz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:21 pm

Geoffrey wrote:I sincerely feel bad for western Christians, having to deal with Hell nonsense on the one hand or LGBTQQIP2SAA nonsense on the other. If that were my choice, I would simply stay home on Sunday mornings rather than subject myself to such things.

There are a few phrases that are red flags for me when I check out a new church. "Inclusive", "open-minded", and "diverse" usually = pro-LGBT. "Bible-believing" and "inerrant" usually = fundamentalist.
qaz

Previous

Return to Dr. Robin Parry (Gregory MacDonald)