What did Jesus mean by Hell

Retired Pastor and Graduate of Fuller Seminary teaches Sunday School every Sunday at Park Christian Fellowship, Chino, California. Here you can dialogue with Bob on essays and classes Bob has authored over the years.

Re: What did Jesus mean by Hell

Postby chrisiacovetti » Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 am

This was a great read, thank you Bob. Just a couple quick questions came to mind, if it's no bother to you:

1. Are there any particular sources you used substantially for your research? I'd love to check them out.

2. I'm generally persuaded by preterist arguments, but I struggle with knowing (mainly in the epistles) what's past and what's future. Aside from the end of Revelation, Romans 8, Philippians 3, 1 Cor. 15, 1 Thes. 4, and the one in Peter about the world being 'burned up,' do you think there's anything about the future explicitly? (Or, do you think some of those are actually referring to the past sometime?)

Thanks,
Chris
chrisiacovetti

Postby Bob Wilson » Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks Chris, my main source, alongside a range of commentaries, was Brad Jersak's book, "Her Gates Will Never Be Shut: Heaven, Hell, and the New Jerusalem." What we 'know' about life beyond this world is a great question, and we're headed to the airport to go overseas. In brief, I think the nature of Biblical language, and our lack of experience of any other existence, means we mostly know that we will be with God, and since his character is "good," we can trust it will be good, and consistent with the triumph of love. I do sympathize with Wright, etc, that the predominant vision is life on a renewed earth, but the most explicit declarations seem to tell us which present woes won't be in the future, more than the furniture of the new heaven and earth. Blessing to you, Bob
Bob Wilson

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Hello Bob,

Perhaps this article will shed some more light on this excellent question:

http://www.askelm.com/doctrine/d030601.htm

Thanks for your article.
ASSOCIATES ONLINE
http://ernestlmartin.com
Ken

Postby Sherman » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 am

Well, I tired of waiting for the Kindle version to come out, so I went ahead and purchased a hard copy of Jersak's book "Her Gates Will Never Be Shut." I am enjoying it thoroughly. His approach is scholarly, documented and thought out well. I noted in a previous post on this thread:
Sherman wrote:I think it is significant to note also that the most evangelistic of the Gospels, the Gospel of John does not once quote Jesus warning of Hinnom Valley!

Jersak notes that most scholars believe that John was written after the destruction of Jerusalem. This fits well with the fact that John did not once warn of Hinnom Valley. And when one considers that Matthew was written to the Jews before the destruction of Jerusalem, possibly even from Jerusalem, Matthews warnings of being cast into Hinnom Valley appear all that more relevant and urgent! Matthew could see the religous and moral decay within Jerusalem. He would have been very aware of the constant and increasing rebellion of the Jews against Rome. And knowing Jesus' warning of the coming destruction of Jerusalem, he made that a significant theme of his Gospel, urging the Jews to repent from their sin, their rebellion against God and against Rome. John was wrting a Gospel for all people, writing in a way that would appeal to Jew and Gentile alike, and does not have as a theme the destruction of Jerusalem because, well, it was already destroyed.
Sherman Nobles
author - "God Is A Divorce' Too! A Message of Hope, Healing, & Forgiveness"
http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore ... 331481-8-7
Sherman

Previous

Return to Dr. Bob Wilson