The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Announcement about family

Over the past three weeks my wife and I have been dealing with the following medical problem: First, an anomaly turned up in her regular mammogram, and so a second mammogram and a sonogram were scheduled. When the results of these were not good, a biopsy was done last Friday, which showed the tumor to be cancerous. It appears to be highly treatable, though we won’t know for sure until further surgery is performed and the lymph nodes are checked out. But in any event, this will of course continue to place severe time constraints on my ability to post here.

Because my wife has been caring for her 92-year-old mother in our home for the past three years, and because she is also the trustee for her mother’s estate, there may be a host of complicated family matters to take care of in the near future. And in addition to all of that, I have fallen well behind on some of my own writing projects, which are pretty much suspended right now. So even though I do not plan to disappear from this site altogether, the number of conversations in which I can engage will be limited. I have always found it difficult to engage in more than one conversation at a time anyway, and so, quite apart from recent events, I have found it difficult to respond to every question and every comment directed at me here. So here is my proposal. If Glenn Peoples finds the time to continue our conversation, as I hope he does and as he has indicated that he intends to do, I will concentrate on that as my primary conversation here. Beyond that, I will try to make other contributions periodically, but with no guarantee of either thoroughness or completeness.

Finally, I do hope that no one will interpret silence on my part as a lack of interest in a particular question, comment, or topic. For, more often than not, external factors and even sheer chance in many cases will dictate when and where I respond. You may rest assured, however, that I remain most grateful to everyone who has contributed to the discussions on this board.

-Tom

Dearest Thomas,
My heart is heavy and my prayers are with you and your family. I believe I speak on behalf of everyone here when I say that we so appreciate your time. We are indebted to you for you truly encouraging insights. So a hug and thank you for all that you have already done for us.

I must also say that we’re not all about talking theology. I will keep you and your wife and family in prayer and offer that if there is anything we can ever do for you please let us know.

God’s grace be with you friend,

Gene (auggy)

My thoughts are with you and your family Tom - good luck!

God strengthen you and your wife and family, Tom.

Praying. God’s peace and blessing be yours.

TomB

Dear TomT, I’ll keep you and your wife in prayer. And I too have been barely participating here and suspending other writing projects due to family issues such as being forced to move and a recent workplace ban on forum participation during breaks and lunchtime.

Tom:

This “thing” which now consumes your life, also consumes mine on a daily basis. I’m an Anesthesiologist and this “thing” is thrust upon me every time I turn around… And just let me say this; I HATE this thing! It is against God, in every sense of the word, and is not of His making. For you, now, it is very personal.

Fight it Tom; and all it represents. But in so doing, we fight for, and enoble, the wonder of life; the very same life given us by the creator Himself (no, I’ve got little clue how He does this) and the very same life to which He promises us forevermore. We’ll fight it with you Tom. Promise. It’s not of God; it’s his antithesis. And we dream,together, of the better world to come…

Meanwhile, we bare each others burdens…
Blessings,
Bob

Tom,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Feel free to concentrate on the need before you.

I am deeply indebted for all the paradigm changers your writing has provided to me, and grateful for your generous stimulating participation on this site as well.

Grace be with you, Bob

Tom, I just want to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Pat