The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Way Of The Mystic - Become A Nobody

The way of the mystic is to empty yourself and become a nobody. You may not like this but it works for me. As an empty vessel the love and beauty of God are revealed as you come into union with the Beloved. This is done through reading, writing, contemplation, meditation and acts of service and charity. According to the Catholic monk Thomas A. Kempis in his book “The Imitation of Christ”

Next to the Bible “The Imitation of Christ” is the most read book by humanity. Moreover, as St. John Of The Cross has said “Humility is hiding in your own nothingness”. It is here that true happiness is found as one comes into union. According to the mystic (OSHO) from India:

I’ve been doing OSHO meditation for the past few months and find it quite interesting. It’s not a silent meditation like the Sufi mystic LLEWELLYN VAUGHAN - LEE practices but they arrive at the same destination - union. Here he is describing it in his book “The Paradoxes of Love”:

Bill Wilson of A.A. says the same in “The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions”:

Each of the 12 steps are designed to deflate ego. Indeed, “Humility” by Andrew Murrary agrees. According the Murray:

This isn’t done by reasoning with logic. Logic is a game. Union with God is an experience of our own nothingness. The stronger the faith the closer the union. Love and longing violate reason. Love is an addiction. The heart cries for Him who is absent. We are stripped as we give away everything driven by the addicts desire for the taste of annihilation. Humility is union with Christ where the ego is crucified and deflated. We are happy with being nothing and God being everything.

When God’s Beauty Shines

She told me she emptied herself
An empty vessel she has become
She hides in her own nothingness
I told her she was correct
She is a reflection of His face
When she smiles, His beauty shines

Your somebodiness is so small. The more you are somebody, the more small you are. The more you are nobody, the bigger… Be absolutely nobody, and you are one with the existence itself.~~OSHO.

Seen from the standpoint of God Himself, the created universe has a dual and paradoxical character. It both is and is not. In itself it is emptiness and nothingness, but in God it has being and goodness.

Christ disregarded the applause of men. those who are dead to the praises of men can bear their contempt~~Matthew Henry

Catholic Prayer (Litany Of Humility)

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.

From the desire of being esteemed, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being loved, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being extolled, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being honored, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being praised, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being preferred to others, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being consulted, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being approved, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being humiliated, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being despised, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of suffering rebukes, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being calumniated, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being forgotten, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being ridiculed, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being wronged, Deliver me, Jesus.

From the fear of being suspected, Deliver me, Jesus.

That others may be loved more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That, in the opinion of the world, others may increase and I may decrease, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be chosen and I set aside, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be praised and I unnoticed, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be preferred to me in everything, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should, Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

In this valley, love is represented by fire, and reason by smoke. When love comes, reason disappears. Reason cannot live with the folly of love; love has nothing to do with human reason. ~~ Attar

More from the Catholic monk Thomas A. Kempis in “The Imitation Of Christ”

If you wish to profit by the reading of Scripture, then do so with humility, simplicity and faith and never try to acquire a reputation for being a scholar ~~ Thomas A. Kempis

Thomas A. always has good advice :slight_smile:

I agree Dave. “The Imitation Of Christ” is the best thing I have found. It’s my favorite anyway. Easy to understand and packs a punch. I’ll put a few more up. :smiley:

Hailed as the best book on humility ever written. Here’s another. It comes from Andrew Murray’s “Humility: The Beauty of Holiness”: