The Evangelical Universalist Forum

There Is No Wrath

There is no wrath from God. There are mystics in all religions not just Christianity. Christianity is just one religion. They are all saying the same thing. All that stuff just came out that way.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
Romans 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
Romans 5:9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Romans 12:19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
Ephesians 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.
Colossians 3:6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming.

This goes along the same lines as those who think there is no God. If there is no judgment or accounting to God for anything that we’ve done, then we might as well “eat drink and be merry.”

As I understand it… “there is no wrath” REMAINING with regards to “the sin”. Jesus appeared once at the end of the ages to put away the sin by the sacrifice of Himself. He either DID or DID NOT accomplish this. Thus with regards to “the judgment” associated “the sin” Jesus drew all “judgement” to himself… the actual focus of the passage Jn 12:31-32.

Davo, as you know that little preposition “εις” before “αθετησιν” often indicates an end or purpose. His purpose was to abolish or do away with sin.

The phrase “εις αθετησιν της αμαρτιας” can be translated as “with the goal of the abolition of sin”. God is not interested in merely providing with a means of escape from the consequences of sin, but in eliminating it completely.

So no. Jesus did not complete that abolition of sin by his coming and his magnificent sacrifice. But He began the process so that his disciples would be able to access that enabling grace of which Titus 2 speaks. Salvation from sin is a life-long process. But it WILL be completed.

He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:6)

I haven’t been sinning at all lately Paidion. Moreover, there are many other traditions besides Christianity. The Sufi mystics are one of them. They talk about a union with love that includes an ecstasy and wonder without sin. I can’t say I’ve never been out of balance and control but I have that now. As long as I stay off the drugs and alcohol everything falls into place.

Paidion,

I’m madly in love with the mystics. It’s an ecstasy. That doesn’t mean I have sex with them. I hate sexual sin.

Well yes, that’s what I’m saying the bible says… and yet here you are actually saying, well NO not yet… “So no. Jesus did not complete that abolition of sin by his coming and his magnificent sacrifice.REALLY??

Really?? I would suggest ONLY IF a presuppositional “goal” is being brought to the text. Of the 53 versions consulted HERE NOT one goes anywhere near your rendition; so your take doesn’t fill me with confidence.

You are confusing what typically in evangelicalism is called “the flesh” i.e., sinningthe action (verb)… as per Rom 3:23; this as opposed to “the sincondition itself – the state (noun)… as per Rom 6:23.

Jesus did not take away man’s ability to fall short or miss the mark, NO, He removed i.e., “to put away” (Heb 9:26) the condition of sin that was held over and against humanity. THAT was NOT “a life-long process” but an event… “***it is finished!***”