The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Offensive Blood Of Christ

When Jesus told the disciples that they must drink His blood they were offended. A lot of people today are offended. They think God is a sadistic blood freak. What they don’t understand is that the reason God is pleased with the blood is because by it we are healed. In the Bible blood symbolizes life. Sin brings spiritual death and separation from God. In faith union with Christ our sins become His. For we are in Him and He is in us. The cup of God’s wrath is poured out and the blood cleanses our sins. We are crucified with Christ buried and baptized into His death and resurrected to new life. God’s wrath is removed from our vision to behold the beauty of Christ. It’s the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. The cup of wrath for us becomes the cup of salvation. We become the bride of Christ as we are cleansed of our sins. The blood of the cup offends people. For Christians it is the cup of salvation. The blood is beautiful to Christians because by it they are healed and cleansed of their sins. We become a child of God and He becomes our loving Father. God is the Savior of all ESPECIALLY them that believe. Those who die without being in union with Christ are baptized in the Lake of Fire. They are punished and purified as the old self is destroyed and resurrected to new life. If God is love then He must hate sin. It’s a holy hatred of sin.

The Beautiful Blood

Beautiful blood that cleanses my soul
It makes my heart purer than gold
Dripping from the veins of Christ my God
Giving me faith even though I’m flawed

Precious blood giving me a new birth
Opens up my eyes to Christ’s great worth
Infinite in value, His beauty I adore
As the water flows, His blood does pour

Beautiful blood you are glorious to me
Lifting up my heart so my eyes can see
Taking away my shame under the flood
Oh how glorious is God’s precious blood

The mistake is to believe that God ever required blood, and He was ever pleased with blood sacrifices include Christ’s in the first place.

Hebrews 10:8 “…You have neither desired, nor have You taken delight in sacrifices and offerings and whole burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin”

God did not require blood.

Hebrews 9:22 “…In fact under the Law almost everything is cleansed with blood, for without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.”

The Law required blood. So when Jesus shed Hid blood on the cross, it was not to appease God (He did not require blood for the forgiveness of sins), it was to appease the requirements of the Law which was established on the testimony of one man, Moses.

Once you get this straight, you know God. It was never He who looked for blood to appease a wrath He stores up, but rather it was the Law that was needing appeasement and stored up wrath against those who sinned (against it).

Romans 4:15 “…For the Law results in wrath, but where there is no law, there is no violation [of it].”

Just a little tweak to your thoughts and beliefs, Jesus died for the sins of those who were under the Law by fulfilling the requirement of the Law, once and for all and only affected those who were under the Law and submitted their lives to it.

Romans 2:12 “…For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without [regard to] the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged and condemned by the Law.”

Let that settle in for a bit.

When that becomes clear, you will find out exactly what else happened when the Law was made obsolete through Christ’s fulfillment of it. Something was released, something that was stored up for a long time but held back because of the Law and it was definitely not it’s wrath!

Jesus died on his own volition, shed his blood by his own choice, and did something he had to do to free His Sheep because they allowed themselves to go astray.

1 Timothy 1:9-10 “…Knowing and understanding this: that the Law is not enacted for the righteous (the upright and just, who are in right standing with God), but for the lawless and unruly, for the ungodly and sinful, for the irreverent and profane, for those who strike and beat and [even] murder fathers and strike and beat and [even] murder mothers, for man-slayers, [For] impure and immoral persons, those who abuse themselves with men, kidnappers, liars, perjurers—and whatever else is opposed to wholesome teaching and sound doctrine.”

Deuteronomy 32:5 “…Israel has acted corruptly toward Him. They are not His children, because of their defect; they are the perverse and crooked generation.”

So yes, thank Jesus for his shedding of blood, but don’t be mistaken, it was not to appease God or avert God’s wrath - because God is Love and Love is not provoked and does not keep records of wrongs. So how can Jesus’s blood ever appease God, who never required it and doesn’t even keep record of wrongs in the first place?

The Bible teaches that if you want to be a disciple you must drink His blood. This is why He asked them “are you able to drink from my cup?” Yes He canceled the legal demands of the law. But that’s not all He was doing. When you are in faith union with Christ you are His bride. When your sins are cleansed it brings a smile to God’s face. We are crucified with Christ buried into His death baptized and then resurrected to new life. This is the glory that His children behold. Here’s what the Bible teaches Christ was doing in the Atonement. Remember He voluntarily and willingly took on the sins of His people… That’s a lot of sin. So, we should expect the suffering to be so severe. Especially since it lasted for only a few hours. While Satan and man’s intentions were evil in the suffering and death of Christ, God’s intentions in allowing it were good. He had justifiable reasons for permitting the suffering and death of Christ. Here’s a few things the Bible says Christ was doing in the Atonement.

Showing that the worst evil in human history was meant by God for good

Providing the basis for our justification

Completing the obedience that becomes our righteousness

Taking away condemnation

Removing God’s wrath

Pleasing the Father in His obedience and love

Showing love and grace to sinners

Cancelling the legal demands of the law

Purifying His bride

Bringing the elect to faith

Giving eternal life to all who trust in Him

Making us holy

Giving us a clear conscious

Delivering us from the present evil age

Healing us from moral sickness

Bringing us to God

Freeing us from the slavery of sin that we might die to sin and live for righteousness

Enabling us to live for Himself

Creating a people passionate for good works

Calling us to follow His example of holy love

Creating a band of crucified followers

Freeing us from the fear of death

Gathering His sheep from around the world

Forgiving our sins

We are converted to Christ when God opens the eyes of our hearts with His grace to see and behold the beauty of Christ.

The glory of Christ is first and foremost the radiant outshining beauty of His holy love. It is the radiance of the fullness of His person. The unchristian is blind to this irresistible Beauty. When this blindness is removed they are converted.

The more we admire the fullness of His Beauty the more we reflect Him.

In the Catechism of Thomas Aquinas (the theological Doctor and father of Catholicism) he talks about the atonement. Here’s what he says:

The debt of punishment which we incur because God’s justice demands that whoever sins should be punished. But Christ by His Passion delivered us from this punishment which He bore Himself: “He bore our sins in His body” - 1 Peter 2:24 (i.e., the punishment due to our sins). For His passion was so efficacious that it suffices to atone for all the sins of the whole world. For this reason when a man is baptized he is released from all his sins. The more a man conforms to the Passion of Christ, the more is he pardoned and the more grace he merits.

Christ by His Passion opened the gates and recalled the exiles to the kingdom. For when Christ’s side was pierced, the gates of Paradise were opened, and by the shedding of His blood the stain of sin was wiped away, God was appeased, man’s weakness was removed, His punishment was expiated, and the exiles were called back to the kingdom.

This is removed by Christ’s Passion, for Christ by His Passion poured out His blood as a laver in which sinners are cleansed. “He hath washed us from our sins in His own blood”. Now, the soul is cleansed by Christ’s blood in Baptism, which from Christ’s blood derives the power of regeneration. Consequently, when a man defiles himself with sin, he does an injury to Christ.

For just as a carnal man loves carnal beauty, so does God love spiritual beauty, which is that of the soul. When, therefore, the soul is defiled by sin, God is offended and the sinner becomes an object of His hatred. But Christ’s passion removes this, because He atoned to God the Father for sin.

Is the shedding of Jesus’ blood necessary for the forgiveness of sins? If so, then how was Jesus able to forgive sins BEFORE He shed his blood?

By the way, Thomas Aquinas clearly taught penal substitution. This was NOT the understanding of the early church concerning the efficacy of Christ’s precious sacrifice.

As you quoted, Aquinas wrote, “The debt of punishment which we incur because God’s justice demands that whoever sins should be punished. But Christ by His Passion delivered us from this punishment which He bore Himself.”

But the angel who announced the birth of the Saviour to Joseph, didn’t say, “He will save his people from their punishment.” Rather he said, “He will save his people from their sins.”

When you search the scriptures to discover why Jesus died, you find that the reason was to deliver people from their sins. It was not a mere substitution or cover up, but an actual deliverance from wrongdoing.

Hi Michael,

Jesus taught not only to drink his blood, but also to eat his flesh.

So Michael, how do you understand eating Jesus’ flesh and drinking his blood?

Paidion, that is exactly it. How could Jesus forgive sin, if the shedding of blood was required for the forgiveness of sin (in God’s view). The point being, there is something wrong with penal substitution theory, and the false prevading belief that God required blood to appease His wrath which was provoked by the sins that He kept against us which is totally contrary to who and what God is.

Paidion,

If you read what I wrote above you will see that what I said the atonement does is purify our sins. Yes Jesus forgave our sins at the cross but this wasn’t the only thing He was doing. He was also cleansing our sins. In faith union we are one with Christ. He is in us and we are in Him. When the cup of God’s wrath was poured out His blood cleanses our sins. When our sins are cleansed it brings a smile to His face. He is pleased with us. When God smiles His glory shines. This is the glory of the happy God of the Gospel. Because He is love He hates sin. But with His hatred now removed He is our loving Father. We are crucified with Him buried and resurrected to new life. We become crucified followers of Christ.

Paidion,

Here’s what I mean by the body and blood of Christ. As mentioned before the Bible uses the image of a cup for God’s wrath. This very cup for us is the cup of salvation. In faith union we are one with Christ. He is in us and we are in Him. This is how our sins become His. When God’s wrath is poured out the blood cleanses us. We are crucified with Christ baptized in to His death and resurrected to new life. When we are cleansed it brings a smile to God’s face. When God smiles His glory shines. When become His child. This is my son in whom I am well pleased.

Then, (from the words of Jesus you quoted above) eating the flesh of Christ and drinking his blood, is figurative language. "Eating his flesh (or “the bread of life”) is coming to him and enjoying him. "Drinking his blood (or the water of life) is entrusting oneself to him.

Yes, when you are in faith union with Christ God’s arrow pierces the heart and the water and blood flow cleansing your sins. You are baptized and risen to new life. God’s wrath is removed and He smiles. When He smiles His glory shines. Just as Jesus was baptized in water God looks at His son and says this is my son in whom I am well pleased. God becomes your loving Father and you become His child.

Thinking Of You

I sit here in the silence thinking of you
Your warm love and your beautiful face
After all the things we have been through
My heart is still tender with your grace

As beams of glory run through my mind
Hopes bring to life wonder and dreams
Moon drops stop the flow of all time
Underneath these star lights of streams

I sit here in the silence thinking of you
And the tender sweetness of your kiss
A fountain of joy in a heart brand new
Enveloped inside your heavenly bliss

Dear God, please reveal to us
your sublime
beauty

that is everywhere, everywhere, everywhere,

so that we will never again
feel frightened.

My divine love, my love,
please let us touch
your face.

by St. Francis of Assisi

Paidion,

It’s the same for those in the Lake of Fire. Since God is love then He must hate sin. Those in the lake of fire are punished and purified as they are baptized and the old sinful self is destroyed. When their sins are cleansed and purified God’s wrath is removed and He smiles. When He smiles His glory shines. This is the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ that they will behold. God’s bride is purified through blood (grace). The second fruits are purified in the Lake of Fire. God is the savior of all. ESPECIALLY them that believe.

Paidion,

The blood is God’s grace. In the Bible blood symbolizes life. Sin brings spiritual death and separation from God. When we are in faith union with Christ His blood not only brings forgiveness but cleansing and healing as well. The cup of wrath for us is the cup of grace and salvation. It’s the blood of the Lamb. Christ voluntarily and willingly laid His life down. This isn’t the same thing as the child sacrifices of Molech. When we are cleansed and baptized and risen to new life God smiles and His glory shines. The heavens open up and God says this is my son in whom I am well pleased. The worst evil in human history is meant by God for good. Man’s intentions were evil is the killing of Jesus God’s intentions were good.

Do you understand what I’m saying Paidion?

With You My Love

When I’m with you I feel brand new
As wonder and joy fill my heart

In this romance we sing and dance
Intertwined never shall we part

As beauty flows my heart only knows
True love is what I have found

Your sweetest kiss brings heavens bliss
As music of the stars shines down

With you as my own I’m never alone
Secure within your loving arms

My heart’s set free with high ecstasy
Inside your world of lovely charms

Purified Through Beauty

Christ sings through You Holy Spirit
With heartfelt love I can hear it
Singing tunes of wonder and joy
Reminding me of when I was a boy
The gentle youth and cool breeze
Songs that are sung by dancing trees
Bringing in laughter of a new year
Releasing shame with colorful cheer
As Beauty captivates my tender heart
Giving my life a glowing new start
Cleansing my soul from all dark sin
Making me feel clean and fresh within
Fire burns away my cloudy perception
In your eyes I can see my own reflection
Vision now clears as I see the true me
In everything I am and want to be

St. John of The Cross is the mystical Doctor of Catholicism. Listen to this:

Paidion,

It’s falling in love with Jesus. God’s arrow pierces the heart creating a desire for Christ. Falling in love originates in an extreme insecurity. God fills the void. For me it comes in ecstatic experience of wonder and beauty. Listen:

The Grail

They are like shy, young school kids - time and space
before the woman and the man who are intimate with God
The realized soul can play the way a child can a ball
A chalice - the Grail - my body became, for it held the Christ
and He drank from me
Sanctified are our limbs, for every heart has touched God,
though most with closed eyes.
A holy relic is each creature, and beauty may worry
about it’s comeliness waning
We fear dying till we know the truth of ourselves
The seams on my body are torn
I have stepped from the region of me that did not love all the time
There is a divine world of light with many suns in the sky
I slept with my Lord one night
now all that is luminous I know we conceived

St. Teresa of Avilla

Paidion,

It’s the Holy Grail. The cup of wrath for us is the cup of blood (grace) that cleanses our sins. It’s the cup of Salvation. We drink from Christ’s cup when we come into faith union with Him. God’s holy wrath and holy grace meet at the cross. It’s the Holy Grail Paidion.

Here I worked this out:

God is holy. Everything about God is holy. While the Bible says God is love it doesn’t say He is only love it also says He is light. God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all. Holiness when applied to God not only refers to moral purity (free from sin) but to everything that separates God from His creatures and creation. There is a Creator and creature distinction. God is infinite in wisdom and knowledge I am not etc. etc. Likewise God’s justice is holy. It’s not like our justice. Holiness is the revealed beauty of God. It’s His glory. God is infinitely lovely and pure. When we sin we sin against God. Sin grieves God. This is how serious it is to sin. We can see this when we look at the worst evil committed in human history - the murder of Jesus. We see how it was the worst because of who Christ is. This is why the punishments in the Old Testament were so harsh. When sinners touched the ark in the Old Testament they would drop over dead. It’s because it contained the glory of God. God is separate and distinct. There are ways we are to be like God and ways we are not. It’s not about mere love. People can love each other and be living in filth. It’s about holy love. It’s about holy joy. A pure holiness. The blood of Christ cleanses our sins. His blood is a holy blood. This is why the blood pleases God. The cup of blood (grace) that we drink from when we are in faith union with Christ is holy. As I mentioned before God is pleased with the blood because it cleanses our sins. In faith union with Christ we become one with Him. He is in us and we are in Him. This is how our sins become His. The cup of wrath that is poured out cleanses our sins. This is the holy blood of the cup of our salvation. We are baptized into His death and risen to new life. We become crucified followers of Christ. Christ voluntarily and willingly laid His life down when He took on the sins of all His people. This isn’t the same thing as the child sacrifices of Molech. The worst evil in human history was meant by God for good. God’s holy intentions in permitting the suffering and death of Christ were good when He released His wrath. Mans intention in killing Christ were evil. We often see this in the Old Testament as well. God will bring evil to judge His people and then turn around and judge those who committed evil against His people. What they meant for evil God meant for good. Make no mistake. God is holy. If God is love then He must hate sin. It’s a holy hatred of sin.