The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Christians Instill Fear Into People

I just read an article at CRI of “The Bible Answer Man” about how Transcendental Meditation is dangerous. This is a good example of how Christians are so fear driven that they try to instill their fears into others. Dr. Edmund J. Bourne has specialized in the treatment of anxiety, phobias, and other stress-related disorders for over two decades. According to him meditation (transcendental or other) has repeatedly been found to:

reduce chronic anxiety and worry

give sharpened alertness

increase energy level and productivity

increase objectivity

decrease dependence on alcohol, drugs, and prescription drugs

heighten self-esteem and sense of identity

among others. Moreover, Dr. Andrew Newberg in his book “How God Changes Your Brain” points out that meditation enhances cognition, memory, and the ability to concentrate. I’ve just started so I can’t really say. A friend of mine has been doing it for 15 years though and she hasn’t experienced any mental disorders. It’s helped her tremendously.

It is the unfortunate result of self-serving Christendom’s indoctrination of fear and control. We claim to be the most “free” of people yet invariably seem to be the most fear-ridden of all people, it is bizarre.

Religianity, as I see it, preaches a doctrine that creates problems and then has the audacity to offer pet answers for the problems it’s created. Such religianity preaches a doctrine that creates no less than depression, fear, anxiety, dread of punishment, mental and emotional instability, and the inability to communicate and relate to other people. And after they have preached that, and that becomes a part of your life, they then have a seminar, conference or mission on how to overcome – depression, instability and the inability to communicate and relate with other people.

Such things IMO are nothing short of “self serving doctrines”. Thus religianity doesn’t so much as meet a need – rather it creates the need, and then pretends to be the one to rescue people from their dilemma, dilemmas that have been created by false and misrepresented doctrines in the first place.

Now that might seem somewhat negative but I think the track record is there.

1 Like

Well said

I agree that Christians are sometimes superstitiously afraid of things that people of other religions also practice, and meditation is a prominent feature of Eastern religions.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with meditating. To the contrary, David speaks often of meditating in his Psalms, and Paul urges Timothy to “meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.” (1Ti 4:15)

Transcendental meditation seems rather like an attempt at brainwashing one’s self, rather than meaningful contemplation – but maybe that’s helpful in some cases – I don’t know. I’d guess a Christian practising it would be most benefited by choosing a mantra that has to do with the things worth thinking on:

“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Phil 4:8)

Sonia

Just curious whether there is a difference between Transcendental Meditation and regular prayer meditation?

They seem to be similar. In his book “How God Changes Your Brain” Dr. Newberg gives evidence that intense prayer and meditation (with or without God) lastingly changes numerous structures and functions in the brain, altering values and the way one perceives reality. Contemplating a God of love rather than a punitive one reduces anxiety and depression and increases feelings of security, compassion, and love.

I had thought that Transcendental Meditation used a mantra that could be either a word or a meaningless sound, but I just read this:

new-age-center.com/article/t … -technique

That probably answers your question, Rowinski.

And what I said above doesn’t really fit as the mantra must be meaningless not meaningful. Hm … it’s not something I could get into personally. I’d rather meditate on what is meaningful and important to me. I find that relaxing and refreshing.

Sonia

This is my take on it, but I find that too many people have this obsessive fear of the devil to a point that they think that anything that does not fit into their sectarian approved beliefs are demonic. Like those who think that Lewis and Tolkien are occult. What people dont understand is that occult is only to seek power from other sources than God. But God can work through whatever means he wants to. For example, the doctrine on the communion of Saints, and connection to the dead. As different from a necromancer, who forces the dead against their will, and often conjurs up a Demon. So any supernatural experience is truly a gift, as long as its essentially focused on Jesus. I find that often times they are less common is to not rely and start to idolize the gift rather than the giver.

Joe 121589 said “But God can work through whatever means he wants to” and I agree.

We tend to fear what we do not understand.

Many Christians feel a need to give God a bit of their life.

They go to church on most Sundays (and maybe a couple of Wednesday nights) and the preacher says so and so is of the devil, or this and that is evil.

A seed is planted.

But until they decide (with the urging of the Holy Spirit) to study and pray and surrender, they will most likely not be able to defend what they think they believe. And this is unfortunate. I believe this is where prayerful meditation comes in.

Much of Christianity is about convincing of a certain doctrine (agenda?) as opposed to searching for truth. And unfortunately many non-Christians see the hypocrisy. Changing is in a way admitting you are or were at least somewhat wrong. That’s hard medicine for some to swallow. Especially when they told all their friends and family “this is what I believe, and you should too, or you are going to hell.”

The message of EU is a message of hope, of a loving and merciful Father, of good news. And there are plenty of one off bible texts (that on the surface seem to say EU is not possible) that need to be considered and dealt with. So the fun begins.

There is much work to be done amongst the brethren. We are complex beings.

Just my 2 cents worth.