The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Parable, A Proverb and A Prayer

The Parable

A blind man stumbles about a darkened room searching for a key to a locked door. Upon finding it after much time and difficulty, he unlocks the door and walks outside. He is free, but he is still blind, and now, he is vulnerable to the very openess and freedom which he anxiously sought while in his prison. No longer imprisoned, but needing still, eyes. Crying out to God in bitter tears and agony of soul for a long time, the man is given eyes. He rejoices and leaps and dances for hours, reveling in the light. He feels vindicated in his struggles and exults in victory… But time passes, his enthusiasm softens into a happy peace, but also a slight unsettled anxiousness as well, for as he loses focus on the gift of sight and begins to focus on what he sees around him, he realizes he has no idea where he is. He sits and meditates on his past, how safe he was in his darkened room. He wonders about his future. What dangers and discoveries await his arrival? Finally, he gets up in his present and begins to walk, seeking his way through a startling new world.

This parable speaks to the prison of ignorance. The first stage is ignorance lack of knowledge. The second stage is ignorance lack of vision. The third stage the polarizing joy of first sight. The last stage is seeking and finding as the Way.

The Proverb

Prolonged anger is an inner conflict with oneself projected onto a substitute target.

The Prayer

Lord, help me take what I want off the top of my prayer that you will use me as you will.

Anger is something I have seen often and intensely. It is something I feared for a long time, and repressed in myself, because of that fear. Thank God, I have been freed from that bondage. Still a work in progress, but growing every day.

Just some thoughts.

The proverb is a good definition of anger. I would add a few more ideas.

Anger can be about expectations. Sometimes, people get angry because, subconsciously, they do not think they should have to deal with certain issues, or in the way the issues are presented.

Anger can be about unforgiveness. Sometimes unforgiveness towards others, but, I believe, more often, unforgiveness towards ourselves. I know for me, unforgiveness towards myself far outweights that towards others.

I have heard it said, we become what we hate. The devil has a way of pepetuating his evil by having us hate what we have seen so much, that we then internalize it, and then manifest it. (see below)

It can come from trying to take things into our own hands, and believing we can control, what is not ours to own.

I don’t think despair forms anger, necessarily, but, I do believe it fuels it.

Sometimes we make other people the recipient of our anger, when, I believe, no issue is ever really between others and us, but always between us and God. We need to look to God for all our needs. When we look to people, we will always be disappointed.

And, they are not really the source of the issue, but rather, the powers of darkness are.

Ephesians 6:12

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

My take is, the answer to all of the above, is to give our anger over to God. It is not easy to let go and surrender. We need to allow Him to steer it all. It takes lots of trust and self-denial. It takes intense prayer and focus on Him, as the center of our lives. Perhaps the hardest part of our walk with God, here on earth, is this letting go. The battle is different for all of us, but the struggle is the same. But, He is so faithful and will transform all for good, in His time. And, He will give us the grace to do this.

Romans 8:28Young’s Literal Translation (YLT)

28 And we have known that to those loving God all things do work together for good, to those who are called according to purpose;

I have seen this promise come to pass, in my own life, many, many times over. I was not always able to see it. It is only the past few years, that I have come to a place, in my walk with the Lord, that I am able to see and know, what incredible things, in this area, He has done in my life and continues to do.

So, as I said, just some thoughts. Anger is not one of my big battles, but I have many of my own. :wink:

Just want to clarify, that God does not always take away the issue/difficulty, but He does use it for good, somehow.

There is a difference.

I think Paul said it best:

7Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-- to keep me from exalting myself! 8Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me. 9And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.…

I did not mean to imply the problem is always answered the way we might hope…certainly, not for me…or anyone, IMO. But, God does answer our prayers, gives us strength, and uses everything for good, for those who believe.

And His grace is more than sufficient. :slight_smile: