The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Denmark bans kosher and halal slaughter

Read here:
independent.co.uk/news/world … 35580.html
I find this news to be quite concerning. I wonder if other members of the EU will follow suit?
How are Jews and Muslims supposed to live according to their faith if other countries do similar?
Any thoughts?

I guess it’s still ok to import halal/kosher meat in Denmark? So they can probably get around it that way to begin with.
Then it would also be interesting to know, when it says that animals have to be conscious at the time of death for it to be kosher/halal, whether that is a commandment on a par with thou shalt not kill, or a recommendation like some of the things Paul writes.

Curious - Solomon says Men are just like beasts… Now, hear me out - Why is it OK to slaughter an animal inhumanely, and not a human? We actually don’t know that animal don’t have a soul. They can act against their nature. A dog can be trained to behave against his nature. Is that so much different than we? We act on our nature, but have the capacity to act above it or against it. Now, we are definitely superior to animals, but does this superiority allow one to treat them improperly? If so, isn’t that slippery slope since some humans are superior to other humans (Note, not BETTER, but superior in thinking ability, competence, etc…) Take someone who is mentally challenged versus someone who is not. The one who is not is superior (though, not better or more important) and so if we treat the mentally challenged with respect, why not animals?

Now, I want to be clear here, that I am not some PETA activist. I don’t think it is wrong to kill animals for human consumption. But I do think there is a right way and a wrong way to do put down an animal. George MacDonald didn’t support cruelty to animals and he mentions this in his sermons. As to how we define ‘cruel’ is probably the crux of the matter.

Proverbs 12.10 says “a righteous man cares for his beast” so that excludes unnecessary pain. I doubt that the OT says the animals need to be conscience when killed.