The Evangelical Universalist Forum

C.S. Lewis: Forgiving vs Excusing

I think that’s a helpful distinction to remember. Anyone know which book this is from?

It’s from a 1947 sermon-essay (possibly untitled but now known as “On Forgiveness”) written by Lewis at the request of a priest in Cambridgeshire to put in a parish magazine, but due to an administrative problem (the priest having been transferred elsewhere during composition) it wasn’t published but was held by the priest’s family until they donated it to the Bodleian Library in 1975, just in time for a 1975 essay collection highlighting “Fernseed and Elephants” (the essay on modern Biblical criticism delivered at an Anglican seminary).

It was reprinted for a later version of another collection highlighting the sermon “The Weight of Glory”, which is where I found it in my collection. Depending on how far the estate has standardized the collections, that may be where it still is.

(As far as I recall there is no suspicion of forgery for this posthumously released work, by the way, which is unfortunately a serious issue for collections touched by Walter Hooper.)

I’m pretty sure Lewis was borrowing a lesson from MacDonald’s Unspokens when talking about the distinction between forgiving and excusing.

Definitely borrowed from MacDonald.