How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Discussions about day to day Christian life.

Re: How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:54 am

Paidion wrote:[
Yeh... the fighting Irish, the tightwad Scotch, the lazy ... the drunken..., etc. etc. etc. It's human nature to generalize.

And my Zombie friends, have been kicked out of places - too numerous to count. Sometimes, they have to go into hiding. :lol:

Charismatic / Eastern Anglo-Catholic / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA; Zombie Apocalypse;
Contemplation (Celtic, Mindfulness, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby qaz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 am

I never use the term "islamophobic". AFAIC it's an Orwellian buzzword employed to discredit criticism of Islam.
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 am

What I do think would constitute Islamophobia would be make a law that would banish all Muslims from entering our countries. I can understand the mind set of those who would support such a law; it's human nature to paint all people in an ethnic group with the same brush

But it's not about an ethnic group, it's about people who claim they believe the Quran which commands them to institute Sharia and to forcibly convert unbelievers at the risk of death or subjugation. Early in the Quran Mohammad is reasonable but later on he becomes hostile to opposition and muslims regard his later teachings as prevalent.
So Paidion as an educated fellow who has seen a few things , seriously speaking i would be happy if you convince me that Islam is not really dangerous but it seems to me to be just that. So if that's the case how can letting people in who believe this book, make sense to our children and grandchildren?
steve7150

Postby DaveB » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:33 pm

"As for immigration, one point that needs to be made over and over in the teeth of retromingent leftist incomprehension is that immigration is justified only if it benefits the host country. Trump understands this; Hillary and her ilk do not. This is another reason why his defeat of Hillary is cause for jubilation. No doubt it is good for Muslims that they be allowed to flood into Germany; but what the Germans need to ask is whether there is any net benefit to them of this in-flooding. And the same for every country.

This is just common sense, a commodity in short supply among lefties whom I call retromingents because of their tendency to piss on the past and its wisdom." - BV

"Under Islam there is no separation of mosque and state. This is one of the reasons why Islam is incompatible with the values of the West.

The threat of Islam in this regard is actually two-fold. There is the general threat to the separation of church/mosque/synagogue and state. And there is the more specific threat posed by Islam's being the worst of the great religions. Suppose the USA were ruled by a Christian theocracy. That would not be good, but it would be far better than if it were ruled by a Muslim theocracy." - BV
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Postby Paidion » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Dave wrote:As for immigration, one point that needs to be made over and over in the teeth of retromingent leftist incomprehension is that immigration is justified only if it benefits the host country. Trump understands this; Hillary and her ilk do not.

I understand it, but believe it to be morally wrong to allow immigration only if it benefits the country. After South Vietnam was conquered by the Communist North, many refugees succeed in escaping. Canada took in many of them—out of compassion, not out of expected benefits.

My wife and I, and two of my nephews and their wives sponsored a succession of refugees who lived in a trailer on my property. The first family we sponsored consisted of the Father who had been an electro-chemical engineer, his wife who had been a pharmacist, and their three sons who were at the top of their classes at the local school, though English was not their primary language. This couple was always trying to save us money. One day, I found Van (pronounced "Vang") in the field in front of the trailer. He had spread a cloth over four uprights, and had placed potatoes cut in the shape of French fries onto the cloth. I asked him what he was doing. He said, "Drying these potatoes in the sun. I want to make French fries." I asked him, "Why don't you just place them in boiling oil to cook them?" His reply: "Save electricity."

Van was a leader. He had been selected to take charge of a large number of refugees prior to arriving in Canada. Just the kind of people the Communists wanted to eliminate. Finally, they moved to Vancouver. I wept when they left.

Doubtless many of the Vietnamese, especially people such as this family, came to be a great asset to Canada. However, that is but a consequent of assisting them—not a reason for assisting them.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby DaveB » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:17 pm

My point was, Paidion, that these particular immigrants need to be very carefully vetted, with our own good in mind. We know that there will be terrorists in the mix, so as much as we would like to help the rest, unless we have proof positive that they are good citizens willing to accept our culture, and refuse Sharia, we shouldn't let any of them in.
Another thing - it has been shown that the Muslims themselves generally know who the bad apples are, but don't share that information with us. Perhaps a show of good faith on their part would help ease the situation.

Your situation was I think different, and I thank you for sharing that story.
DaveB

Postby Gabe Grinstead » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Not to be cold, or make light of this situation, but immgration is not the solution to the worlds problems, and in fact, it creates more problems. Typically the brightest and most capable people and potential leaders of a given nation in turmoil are the ones who migrate to 1st world countries. This means the people who can actually change their countries are leaving behind the people that are less likely and capable of changing.

I believe the entire 1st world could only manage around 5-10 million immigrants per years before everything destabilized. There are more births per years in countries where people are impoverished than can be taken away, not to to mention the BILLIONS of people left out. I mean, immigration AT best is like paying an interest only loan. It doesn't make a dent into the huge principle and continues to get worse.

Here is a great video on it that is an eye opener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6tSqGCfoCI
Gabe Grinstead

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:08 am

This news is so exciting, I can hardly contain myself. And it's a high point, of the Trump presidency - for nerds and geeks everywhere. I shared this BBC article on Twitter today: :ugeek: :D

Charismatic / Eastern Anglo-Catholic / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA; Zombie Apocalypse;
Contemplation (Celtic, Mindfulness, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby steve7150 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:11 am

unless we have proof positive that they are good citizens willing to accept our culture, and refuse Sharia, we shouldn't let any of them in.

This is critical , you can't accept folks who believe in Sharia, it's precisely opposes western values and culture and government. If this gets ignored then we leave our kids and grandkids with a gigantic unsolvable problem.
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:20 am

steve7150 wrote: unless we have proof positive that they are good citizens willing to accept our culture, and refuse Sharia, we shouldn't let any of them in.

This is critical , you can't accept folks who believe in Sharia, it's precisely opposes western values and culture and government. If this gets ignored then we leave our kids and grandkids with a gigantic unsolvable problem.

"A wrong decision is better than indecision." - Tony Soprano

So what are you proposing Steve, that is in accordance, with the US constitution?

Add an amendment, to revoke the separation of church and state?
    Ask all Muslims to leave the US and prevent any more from coming in?
    Etc.

And what about other groups, like the 1% biker gangs? When I hung around the Native Americans, I meet a couple of Natives. One used to hang around the Outlaws and the other, was a former Hells Angel. And they used to share stories. If I had a choice, of making enemies with ISIS, Hells Angels, or Outlaws, I would probably choose ISIS. At least I could pretend to convert to Islam, grow a beard and change my name to Mohammad. I would have a chance to survive.

So what exactly do you propose Steve? Maybe it's been covered by you, in an earlier thread post. Please refresh my memory then.

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby steve7150 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:27 am

So what exactly do you propose Steve? Maybe it's been covered by you, in an earlier thread post. Please refresh my memory then.

I wouldn't let anyone who adheres to Sharia law into this country because you would be jeopardizing our kids and grandkids future. I'm not for deporting anyone who is already a citizen but we have no obligation to take in anyone and i wouldn't take in any immigrant who believes Sharia s/b the law of the land. Why would you, can you give me a compelling reason? The only reason i can think of is for a refugee for humanitarian reasons but IMHO we would be sacrificing the lives of our future generations which we have no right to do. Europe has already done this and their problems are just beginning. As far as refugees go i would try to help them but refugees are a worldwide problem since the beginning of time.
steve7150

Postby steve7150 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:33 am

And what about other groups, like the 1% biker gangs? When I hung around the Native Americans, I meet a couple of Natives. One used to hang around the Outlaws and the other, was a former Hells Angel. And they used to share stories. If I had a choice, of making enemies with ISIS, Hells Angels, or Outlaws, I would probably choose ISIS. At least I could pretend to convert to Islam, grow a beard and change my name to Mohammad. I would have a chance to survive.

You can pretend to convert to Islam if you want, i'll pass. What about Biker gangs or any other criminals? I don't get the comparison of that to taking in refugees that we are not required to take in who adhere to a belief system called Sharia which compels them to not follow our western laws and culture and to a religion that commands them to subjugate us or kill us.
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:36 am

steve715 wrote:

You can pretend to convert to Islam if you want, i'll pass. What about Biker gangs or any other criminals? I don't get the comparison of that to taking in refugees that we are not required to take in who adhere to a belief system called Sharia which compels them to not follow our western laws and culture and to a religion that commands them to subjugate us or kill us.

Biker gangs can be much worse than ISIS. So, tell me. A Muslim wants to come to this country. He or she believes in Sharia. But lies and says he or she doesn't. How do we know, if they are telling the truth or not? Should we hypnotize them, give them a truth drug or a lie detector test? Or throw them into a pit of zombies, until they scream the truth? Or even water board them? Perhaps hire Bugs Bunny?

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby steve7150 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:07 am

Biker gangs can be much worse than ISIS. So, tell me. A Muslim wants to come to this country. He or she believes in Sharia. But lies and says he or she doesn't. How do we know, if they are telling the truth or not? Should we hypnotize them, give them a truth drug or a lie detector test? Or throw them into a pit of zombies, until they scream the truth? Or even water board them? Perhaps hire Bugs Bunny?

But Biker gangs presumably are citizens and if not and commit crimes then punish them and deport them like they're doing with MS13 gangmembers.
MS13 can be worse then ISIS and Biker gangs. At any rate i wouldn't invite any of them to my next birthday party.
As far as getting the truth out of muslim immigrants and Sharia law i'd make them continue spending time with Nancy Pelosi until they tell the truth
or maybe there are records available someplace? If not i'd go by whatever evidence is available.
steve7150

Postby DaveB » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:54 am

Boko Haram kidnapping 240 young girls to turn into sex slaves, and then kill them. Beheadings on the beach. Burning people alive in cages. Throwing gay off of buildings.

And broadcasting it worldwide.

Of course they are going to lie. They will do anything and btw - the holy Koran says it is okay to lie to infidels. And rape their women.

Point being - no system is perfect, biker gangs can be no good - but we cannot just yell 'equivalence' and shut our eyes to the horrors we invite into the country.

I would say - don't let any of them in. But it appears that the country is willing to allow horrors as long as we don't look like we are being mean.
DaveB

Postby steve7150 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:13 am

as long as we don't look like we are being mean.

To whom? Also many muslims think if you rape an infidel women it makes her muslim. Is that a Biker gangs creed too meaning it makes her a Biker Queen?
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:15 pm

steve7150 wrote:as long as we don't look like we are being mean.

To whom? Also many muslims think if you rape an infidel women it makes her muslim. Is that a Biker gangs creed too meaning it makes her a Biker Queen?

I know Islam allows one, to have sex with slave women. Yes, a biker gang will commit a gang rape. And some of the women, who hang around them - believe it or not - actually encourage and like it. Go figure.

And here's a good article, on the MS13 gang at 6 Common Misconceptions About the MS13 Street Gang. Let me quote an element, from the article:

Unlike drug trafficking organizations or Islamic terrorist groups, the MS13 is far from possessing the necessary infrastructure to maintain a fighting force armed to the teeth and equipped with the latest technologies. Many gang members continue killing with machetes or cords in order to save ammunition. Some cliques have shown a greater acquisitive capacity than others and have stocks of powerful weapons, but no cell has makeshift tanks or armored vehicles.

I recommend these books - available on Amazon:

Vagos, Mongols, and Outlaws: My Infiltration of America's Deadliest Biker Gangs by Charles Falco
    Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga by Hunter S. Thompson
    Jersey Tough: My Wild Ride from Outlaw Biker to Undercover Cop by by Wayne "Big Chuck" Bradshaw

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby maintenanceman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:
steve7150 wrote:as long as we don't look like we are being mean.

I know Islam allows one, to have sex with slave women. Yes, a biker gang will commit a gang rape. And some of the women, who hang around them - believe it or not - actually encourage and like it. Go figure.

And here's a good article, on the MS13 gang at 6 Common Misconceptions About the MS13 Street Gang. Let me quote an element, from the article:

Unlike drug trafficking organizations or Islamic terrorist groups, the MS13 is far from possessing the necessary infrastructure to maintain a fighting force armed to the teeth and equipped with the latest technologies. Many gang members continue killing with machetes or cords in order to save ammunition. Some cliques have shown a greater acquisitive capacity than others and have stocks of powerful weapons, but no cell has makeshift tanks or armored vehicles.

I recommend these books - available on Amazon:

Vagos, Mongols, and Outlaws: My Infiltration of America's Deadliest Biker Gangs by Charles Falco
    Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga by Hunter S. Thompson
    Jersey Tough: My Wild Ride from Outlaw Biker to Undercover Cop by by Wayne "Big Chuck" Bradshaw

An outlaw is an outlaw. One needs to be kept out if possible, one needs to be hunted down and brought to social justice. Though the bike drifter noticing the gal's southern region is a cool GIF. :lol:
maintenanceman

Postby qaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 am

After Republicans have for years falsely accused Democrats of rushing the ACA into law through secrecy, Republicans are doing just that. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/ ... index.html

I guess they don't want a public debate on the morality of leaving people with expensive needs having to spend tens of thousands of dollars on healthcare out of pocket.
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:54 am

qaz wrote:After Republicans have for years falsely accused Democrats of rushing the ACA into law through secrecy, Republicans are doing just that. http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/ ... index.html

I guess they don't want a public debate on the morality of leaving people with expensive needs having to spend tens of thousands of dollars on healthcare out of pocket.

Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead. Benjamin Franklin

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Well since it is an unimpeachable source such as CNN we must believe it.
Oh well. Do a google search and see the blatant lying at CNN, see the deranged opinion people on that station, etc. and take their story with a huge grain of salt.

The ACA was passed in a shameful manner, against the wishes of the majority of Americans.
DaveB

Postby qaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:25 pm

DaveB wrote:Well since it is an unimpeachable source such as CNN we must believe it.
Oh well. Do a google search and see the blatant lying at CNN, see the deranged opinion people on that station, etc. and take their story with a huge grain of salt.

Ah, right, unless a news story comes from Fox News or Breitbart, we can just a priori assume it's libel. :roll: :shock: Dave, do you have any idea how *INSANE* you sound? You right-wingers have created an impenetrable bubble around yourselves so that anything inconsistent with making your 'team' look good gets reflected off as fake news. Your defense mechanism is so childish, aren't you embarrassed? You have the maturity of a child who sticks his fingers in his ears and shouts "la la la" when he's told he needs to start thinking about a career other than playing professional baseball. Wake up. GROW UP. The right has reached a new low, trying to obfuscate debate by a priori accusing people of lying. It's not good for democracy, and it can't be good for your mental health to serially dismiss facts.

The ACA was passed in a shameful manner, against the wishes of the majority of Americans.

Shameful? As in accepting 160 amendments from Republicans, public hearings, having a text that was available to the public, months in committee, a detailed speech from the President who supported it explaining its contents? You must have strange definition of shameful.
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 pm

OK. Suppose I am a journalism major, from some Ivory league school. And I also served in the military, as a staff reporter. And I get a job, for the New York Times. And I been assigned, to write a piece on the president. Or some political event, like the current Republican, health care bill. And I'm some right wing, Republican nut job. And I have a picture of Rush Limbaugh, on my desk cubicle.

Now I am also a Roman Catholic or Baptist. And believe in God, American, the flag, the military and apple pie. I write a story, which the editor thinks is great. Does my story get printed or not? Or does some conspiracy factor, in the New York Times management hierarchy, have me change the story? And who (for example), tells me what to write and how to write it?

Where (from the standpoint, of the right wing Republican, Christian, ex-military, Ivory League reporter), does the story get changed?

Tell, me - oh wise ones (i.e. David and Steve). Or perhaps I should address you both, as wise guys :?: I really don't know, the correct term - that applies here.. :?

Where and how, does the reporter's story, get changed or distorted :?:

Last edited by Holy-Fool-P-Zombie on Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby maintenanceman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:18 pm

QAZ said:
It's not good for democracy, and it can't be good for your mental health to serially dismiss facts.

Well, first of all, the idea that we were formed in this country (USA) as a 'Democracy' would suggest you might need to go back to history class. Look up 'Republic' and see what you find.

Second of all, the crack about the mental health is exactly what folks on the left are doing. There is a insistence on near violent (or at least repulsively personal attack) response to anything that the opposite side is saying... You/they should be ashamed and I think there is an apology needed here. :roll:

But you do what you think you need to do.
maintenanceman

Postby DaveB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:28 pm

HFPZ - are you just trolling here? I would think that a moment's reflection on your part would answer all those questions. And you're a very smart HFPZ.
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:36 pm

DaveB wrote:HFPZ - are you just trolling here? I would think that a moment's reflection on your part would answer all those questions. And you're a very smart HFPZ.

No, I am NOT trolling. We can even substitute a real person. Let's take Doug Ernest, for example. He has his own blog at https://douglasernst.blog/. He's an ex-Army, Republican, Roman Catholic and masters degree holder- in political science. And a very good writer. Suppose he gets a job, with the New York Times. And he writes a story, on the current Republican, health care bill. What happens to his story? How would it get changed or distorted? I want to understand the process, from an individual, reporter's perspective.

Or, if we are talking philosophy...I want to understand this process, from an existential, phenomenological perspective.

Or pretend I am Curly, of the Three Stooges. Explain it, so that even I can understand it.

Walk me through it :!: :?

Last edited by Holy-Fool-P-Zombie on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby qaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm

maintenanceman wrote:QAZ said:
It's not good for democracy, and it can't be good for your mental health to serially dismiss facts.

Well, first of all, the idea that we were formed in this country (USA) as a 'Democracy' would suggest you might need to go back to history class. Look up 'Republic' and see what you find.

I have a degree in political science. I'm well aware that the US is not literally a democracy. I was using democracy to describe the spirit of civil society, as it's often used.

Second of all, the crack about the mental health is exactly what folks on the left are doing. There is a insistence on near violent (or at least repulsively personal attack) response to anything that the opposite side is saying... You/they should be ashamed and I think there is an apology needed here. :roll:

But you do what you think you need to do.

It's not a "crack". Attempting to terminate debate by a priori accusing people of lying, either explicitly or merely suggesting it, is childish behavior. Apology? No, there will be no apology for telling someone to snap out of childish behavior.
qaz

Postby maintenanceman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:02 pm

QAZ said:
I have a degree in political science. I'm well aware that the US is not literally a democracy. I was using democracy to describe the spirit of civil society, as it's often used.

That is the problem. The spirit of civil society, as you speak of is the voice of political correctness. That is the very thing that a REPUBLIC form of government was designed to defend against. As much as you may not like the reality. :oops:
maintenanceman

Postby qaz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:23 pm

Can you give some examples of this political correctness, which you find harmful?
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:22 am

Can you give some examples of this political correctness, which you find harmful?

With the San Bernadino terrorists the husband was making bombs in his parents garage and some neighbors suspected this but didn't report it because they were afraid of being labeled "Islamophobic."
steve7150

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:40 am

steve7150 wrote:Can you give some examples of this political correctness, which you find harmful?

With the San Bernadino terrorists the husband was making bombs in his parents garage and some neighbors suspected this but didn't report it because they were afraid of being labeled "Islamophobic."

That doesn't show "political correctness" being an actual issue. Democratic public officials aren't trying to outlaw "islamophobia".
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am

qaz wrote:Can you give some examples of this political correctness, which you find harmful?

How about this one :?: :lol:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 am

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:
qaz wrote:Can you give some examples of this political correctness, which you find harmful?

How about this one :?: :lol:

I realize that's a cartoon, but some right wingers really seem to vote based on wanting to stick it to fringe leftist radicals, like leftist campus groups, and not on actual policy.
qaz

Postby DaveB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:40 am

This is a good summary if we are in the mood for 10 minutes' reading.
Attachments
riseof PC.pdf
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
DaveB

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am

It's ironic how for right wingers, "political correctness" is such a big issue. The language people are offended by offends you!

I care about actual issues like healthcare, the economy, and the environment, not being able to use words without experiencing social backlash. And besides, what are Trump and the GOP Congress doing about "PC"? Rolling back prohibitions against speech people find offensive?...which do not exist. What policies are the GOP supporting to fight PC?
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:33 am

That doesn't show "political correctness" being an actual issue. Democratic public officials aren't trying to outlaw "islamophobia".

That wasn't your question. It was can you show where PC was harmful ? Here people died because the neighbors were afraid of being labeled. I didn't mention Democrats.
steve7150

Postby DaveB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:36 am

qaz there are hundreds of examples found with a simple google search. I don't see why we have to do the work for you, really.
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 am

For instance, I googled 'examples of political correctness' and the first result was this:
https://www.infowars.com/19-shocking-ex ... g-america/

Take some initiative and read those and then if you aren't happy, read the other few hundred results.
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 am

Well, this forum thread is like the story, "Goldilocks and the 3 bears".

Some like to sleep, in the papa bear bed (i.e. right wing) - which Goldilocks finds too hard.
Some like to sleep, in the mama bear bed (i.e. extreme left) - which Goldilocks finds too soft.

And she ends of sleeping, in the baby bear bed (i.e. somewhere in the middle - like I am). Which she finds just right.

And those taking the extreme bed positions - just keep on complaining :!: :lol:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am

DaveB wrote:For instance, I googled 'examples of political correctness' and the first result was this:
https://www.infowars.com/19-shocking-ex ... g-america/

Take some initiative and read those and then if you aren't happy, read the other few hundred results.

You didn't answer my question. I asked what, in terms of policy, Republicans are doing to fight PC. How about you go through the items on that list and tell me what Trump and the GOP congress are doing about them. Oh, nothing you say? :lol:

And it's hilarious that you would slander people as reporting "fake news" while citing the website of a CT nut who thinks Sandy Hook was a false flag government attack.
Last edited by qaz on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am

and those taking the extreme bed positions - just keep on complaining :!: :lol:

Truth be told "unfair" is a leftist mantra! Part of the social justice movement. Not that i'm against social justice but the left has there own version.
Their vision is "equal outcome" whereas mine is "equal opportunity."
steve7150

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 am

BTW i'm laughing my "Ossoff."
steve7150

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:01 am

steve7150 wrote:With the San Bernadino terrorists the husband was making bombs in his parents garage and some neighbors suspected this but didn't report it because they were afraid of being labeled "Islamophobic."

That wasn't your question. It was can you show where PC was harmful ? Here people died because the neighbors were afraid of being labeled. I didn't mention Democrats.

We're talking about policies. Thank you for conceding that PC is not something Democrats legislate into law. IOW a non-issue. We can get back to talking about actual issues now, like the GOP's healthcare plan
qaz

Postby DaveB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:19 am

"Fake news has come to mean a lot of things these days. But the definition that the right and the left can both agree on is sites that just make up things for money. NPR pursued the "godfather" of some of these fake news sites and discovered that he's a lefty who's doing this to undermine conservatives.

The sites include NationalReport.net, USAToday.com.co, WashingtonPost.com.co. All the addresses linked to a single rented server inside Amazon Web Services. That meant they were all likely owned by the same company.

“The whole idea from the start was to build a site that could kind of infiltrate the echo chambers of the alt-right, publish blatantly fictional stories and then be able to publicly denounce those stories and point out the fact that they were fiction,” Coler says.

So we've got sites hosted by a company run by the owner of the Washington Post which are run by a guy whose stated goal is to plant fake news stories to undermine the right.

NPR eats this up with a jumbo spoon, but the underlying admission is that the fake news problem has the same source as the mainstream media's fake news problem. Hostility to conservatives.

While the mainstream media pushes fake news to liberals, guys like this plant fake news on the right to sow chaos and undermine conservative news consumers. The fake news problem, from the top down, is a left-wing propaganda problem. " - http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/26706 ... greenfield
DaveB

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:44 am

While the mainstream media pushes fake news to liberals, guys like this plant fake news on the right to sow chaos and undermine conservative news consumers. The fake news problem, from the top down, is a left-wing propaganda problem. " - http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/26706 ... greenfield

Definitely a left wing tact. I get these tweets almost daily with 90% of it being false, really "false news" is a better description and as you said it's about the money! What does the bible say about "money?"
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Fake news is like scams. Suppose i get a call, from the IRS. They say I owe some back taxes. They will take me away in handcuffs, if I don't pay via debit card.

Well, I never heard of this. And the IRS normally sends several letters - by mail first.

Now I can't find this IRS procedure, on either social media or a Google search. So it's fake news. And costly too - if I send the phony IRS agent some money.

Now I read a supermarket tabloid story. It says Trump took a ride - in a UFO. Well, I don't buy into it. But if ALL supermarket tabloids, were running variations of the same story. Guess what? I might say, it's in the realm of possibility.

Same goes for a story, in the New York times, CNN, etc. If one station or newspaper runs it - it's probably fake news. But if everybody runs it (including the international news sources - like the BBC). Guess what? It's within the realm of possibility.

What I look at - is this. The number of news sources (both nationally and internationally), are reporting variations of the same story. Meaning they are approaching, a bell shaped curve. Which means that both liberal and conservative news bodies, should be fact checking it.

It's now a part of my framework. Or my existential, phenomenological perspective.

If later some fact or aspect, renders the story incoherent - guess what? I alter my framework or my existential, phenomenological perspective - ever so slightly.

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm

The funny thing about the truth is - it's true.
Fake news is not news - it is lies. It's often what someone wishes were the truth, what they feel MUST be the truth - but, even considering the oft-quoted 'truth is a slippery concept' (think Hillary) - what is true is what counts. Nowadays we have to work to get it.
DaveB

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:13 pm

DaveB wrote:The funny thing about the truth is - it's true.
Fake news is not news - it is lies. It's often what someone wishes were the truth, what they feel MUST be the truth - but, even considering the oft-quoted 'truth is a slippery concept' (think Hillary) - what is true is what counts. Nowadays we have to work to get it.

You didn't answer my question. So I'll ask again: What, in terms of policy, are Republicans doing to fight PC. How about you go through the items on that list from conspiracy theorist nutjob Alex Jones' website and tell me what Trump and the GOP congress are doing about them?
qaz

Postby qaz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie wrote:Image

Fake news is like scams. Suppose i get a call, from the IRS. They say I owe some back taxes. They will take me away in handcuffs, if I don't pay via debit card.

Well, I never heard of this. And the IRS normally sends several letters - by mail first.

Now I can't find this IRS procedure, on either social media or a Google search. So it's fake news. And costly too - if I send the phony IRS agent some money.

Now I read a supermarket tabloid story. It says Trump took a ride - in a UFO. Well, I don't buy into it. But if ALL supermarket tabloids, were running variations of the same story. Guess what? I might say, it's in the realm of possibility.

Same goes for a story, in the New York times, CNN, etc. If one station or newspaper runs it - it's probably fake news. But if everybody runs it (including the international news sources - like the BBC). Guess what? It's within the realm of possibility.

What I look at - is this. The number of news sources (both nationally and internationally), are reporting variations of the same story. Meaning they are approaching, a bell shaped curve. Which means that both liberal and conservative news bodies, should be fact checking it.

It's now a part of my framework. Or my existential, phenomenological perspective.

If later some fact or aspect, renders the story incoherent - guess what? I alter my framework or my existential, phenomenological perspective - ever so slightly.

"Fake news" was a term coined to describe deliberate misinformation by right-wing trolls. Now right wingers have co-opted the term and used it as a defense mechanism when there's a news story that covers the harmful effects of the policies they support.
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Yes it is but not a slam dunk because they often just copy each other and ask questions later! This is a new behavior mode because of instant news, nobody wants to be left holding the chair!
steve7150

PreviousNext

Return to Christian Living