How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Discussions about day to day Christian life.

Re: How To Live Under An Unqualified President by John Piper

Postby DaveB » Sat May 13, 2017 6:35 pm

It depends on what you mean by 'ignorant'. If by that you mean an unquestioning and uncritical acceptance of a Narrative, then yes, most people who voted for Hil were ignorant. I prefer 'misled' because I know a number of those people and they are a smart as anyone else, and as caring as anyone else. They held their noses and voted Hillary. Why? Because they believed a lie. How could they help but do so? There was one TV station - Fox, that tried to be fair - that was reviled by the liar-in-chief himself, Obama, publicly and often, and also reviled day after day after day by almost all other media. So they would not listen to Fox.

I was in the dentist's office one morning, waiting for my appointment, just me, and I changed the waiting room tv channel to Fox. Another person checked in, sat down, and groaned OH NO NOT **** FOX! I asked why they would want to listen to lies and fabrication as put forth by the other stations - it was CNN - and got a look of amazement. It also happened, just that way, while I was waiting for an oil change. AND THOSE PEOPLE HAD NEVER WATCHED FOX!!!!! That is ignorance - but that is what they were being fed, all the time.

Dems do well in high-population, dense city environs. Why? When many of those cities, run by dems for decades, are rotting, falling apart, becoming desolate? Because they did not want to vote for the Devil. Even though the dems had ruined cities, still, the other side was the Devil, a bunch of moronic islamaphobes, immigrant haters, anti-women, anti-gay, - or as Hillary said, a bunch of deplorables. That's a hateful remark. But you hear it often enough, it has an effect.

And remember - Trump won the most STATES.
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Sat May 13, 2017 6:57 pm

From waka waka waka:

Hillary Clinton supporters: let’s not hear a lot of whingeing, please, about how your gal “won the popular vote”. Leaving aside the most obvious response — that in this federal republic it is, by careful design, the States that elect the President, and not the mob — your argument depends upon the assumption of an unprovable counterfactual, namely the implicit assertion that she would have won the popular vote even if there were no Electoral College. This article explains why the notion is irrelevant.

Speaking of the mob, they are now having a tantrum, massing themselves in various urban centers (and blocking highways) to protest — what, exactly? What are their demands?
DaveB

Postby steve7150 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:06 pm

and I changed the waiting room tv channel to Fox. Another person checked in, sat down, and groaned OH NO NOT **** FOX! I asked why they would want to listen to lies and fabrication as put forth by the other stations - it was CNN - and got a look of amazement.

Normal intelligent people find it incomprehensible that a slew of media outlets ALL could be fabricating stories because traditionally they would have had to be colluding which is not believable. But it doesn't work that way today in the year 2017. On my i-phone i get tweets from Fox,Wash Post, NY Times,CNN ,MSNBC etc all instantly and the left wing outlets simply copy each other so if one fabricates a story then they all do. I know this because i receive the same stories from the various outlets within a minute.
Story - "Trump fires Comey because he asked for more funding to follow the Trump/Russia investigation" The truth was told by Andrew Mcabe the Acting FBI Director testifying before Congress that no additional funding was needed or requested and funding is not asked for individual cases.

Was a correction made by any of the leftist media outlets? Did Japan win WW2?
steve7150

Postby qaz » Sat May 13, 2017 7:58 pm

DaveB wrote:It depends on what you mean by 'ignorant'. If by that you mean an unquestioning and uncritical acceptance of a Narrative, then yes, most people who voted for Hil were ignorant. I prefer 'misled' because I know a number of those people and they are a smart as anyone else, and as caring as anyone else. They held their noses and voted Hillary. Why? Because they believed a lie. How could they help but do so? There was one TV station - Fox, that tried to be fair - that was reviled by the liar-in-chief himself, Obama, publicly and often, and also reviled day after day after day by almost all other media. So they would not listen to Fox.

I was in the dentist's office one morning, waiting for my appointment, just me, and I changed the waiting room tv channel to Fox. Another person checked in, sat down, and groaned OH NO NOT **** FOX! I asked why they would want to listen to lies and fabrication as put forth by the other stations - it was CNN - and got a look of amazement. It also happened, just that way, while I was waiting for an oil change. AND THOSE PEOPLE HAD NEVER WATCHED FOX!!!!! That is ignorance - but that is what they were being fed, all the time.

Dems do well in high-population, dense city environs. Why? When many of those cities, run by dems for decades, are rotting, falling apart, becoming desolate? Because they did not want to vote for the Devil. Even though the dems had ruined cities, still, the other side was the Devil, a bunch of moronic islamaphobes, immigrant haters, anti-women, anti-gay, - or as Hillary said, a bunch of deplorables. That's a hateful remark. But you hear it often enough, it has an effect.

And remember - Trump won the most STATES.

Utter nonsense. I voted for Hillary. What narrative did I unquestioningly and uncritically accept? What lie lead me to vote for Hillary? It couldn't be that I wanted:
- a more equitable healthcare system (to be fair, Trump never even said what his "repeal and replace" plan would be, so it *could* have been more equitable, but that was doubtful)
- no more debt-increasing tax cuts for rich people
- to not return to the days of letting the financial sector 'self-regulate'
- less dependence on fossil fuels
- animal welfare reforms
No, I must have voted for Hillary because the liberal media conspiracy duped me. :roll:

And saying "if it wasn't for California, Trump would have won the popular vote!" is such a glib argument. All you're saying is "If Hillary didn't get more votes than Trump, Trump would have won!" Well, duh! It's as dumb as losing a basketball game and then saying, "Your team only outscored us one quarter! We outscored you the other three quarters!" as if that means your team is the 'real' winner.
Last edited by qaz on Sat May 13, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qaz

Postby DaveB » Sat May 13, 2017 8:22 pm

QAZ, I stopped reading your contributions on this thread way back when. I can guess what you're saying. I can guess you have not read any of the links but , as Randy points out, anybody can throw links out there, whether they are to facts or not, does not seem to matter to .Randy or ...well, a certain group.
I'm just happy that, after 8 years of 'us' putting up with the attempted destruction of much of the American way (you remember - 'He' wanted to fundamentally transform the hated United States) and not rioting, not crying in safe places, not closing down universities when the opposition was scheduled to speak, not closing off roads in a hissy fit, not being 'snowflakes' - we can fight back at all the B.S. and maybe make some progress.

It's a 'cold civil war' now and I hope it calms down, but with the nutty Leftists trying to tear everything down, and they never sleep nor slumber, I think things are going to get worse.
DaveB

Postby qaz » Sat May 13, 2017 8:34 pm

DaveB wrote:QAZ, I stopped reading your contributions on this thread way back when.

Maybe you should spend more time reading them and less time reading acrimonious right wing op-eds.

I can guess what you're saying. I can guess you have not read any of the links but , as Randy points out, anybody can throw links out there, whether they are to facts or not, does not seem to matter to .Randy or ...well, a certain group.

I haven't a priori dismissed news articles based on an assumption that news orgs are committing libel every time they report something inconsistent with my ideology. If you have evidence that a news story isn't factual, share your evidence. But I'm not going to waste my time wading through right-wing opinion pieces whining about how anyone to the left of Ronald Reagan is trying to trying to destroy civilization.

I'm just happy that, after 8 years of 'us' putting up with the attempted destruction of much of the American way (you remember - 'He' wanted to fundamentally transform the hated United States) and not rioting, not crying in safe places, not closing down universities when the opposition was scheduled to speak, not closing off roads in a hissy fit, not being 'snowflakes' - we can fight back at all the B.S. and maybe make some progress.

It's a 'cold civil war' now and I hope it calms down, but with the nutty Leftists trying to tear everything down, and they never sleep nor slumber, I think things are going to get worse.

What percent of Democrat voters have rioted? What percent have "cried in safe places" (what does that even mean?) and why does it bother you? What percent of Dem voters have closed down universities and closed off roads? You have a tendency to look at the worst among liberalism and paint all Democratic voters with the same brush. I don't look at the right-wingers who illegally occupied government land in Oregon and white supremacist Trump supporters as representing the Republican base. I recommend you exercise the same charity to the 'other side'.
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sun May 14, 2017 3:34 am

Paidion wrote:
Dave wrote:Circling back to Clinton, she leads Trump 48/46 in the popular vote right now. Is that a majority? No, it’s a plurality. Clinton didn’t win the majority of the popular vote, and the majority of Americans didn’t vote for her.

Thank you for pointing that out, Dave. After writing that the majority voted for Clinton, I thought I might be wrong. So I searched the internet and could not find statistics that stated otherwise. Okay, doubtless you're right that it was not a majority. However 48% of all U.S. citizens is almost half. It's still an awful lot of people who have voted for a "hateful" party. If the Democratic Party is hateful, and 48% voted that way, then if they, themselves are not hateful like their Party, then what are they? Ignorant?

I think folks will wise up. I'm sure more folks will vote Democrats in Congress, in a couple of years. And the Democrats, will have a much better candidate than Hillary - in 4 years. Not that I'm a Democrat, mind you. I'm really an independent. But I think this is how the 'cosmic cards", will play themselves out. Unless Trump makes some exceptionally, good moves.

And if the "cosmic cards" play right, what will happen to Trump? He will write a book, go on speaking tours, be interviewed by the "liberal media" and continue to make money - as a billionaire. And share on Twitter, all the mistakes, of the then current administration. Perhaps even get his own TV and/or radio show. And be more popular than Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh - put together :!: ;)

Charismatic Eastern Anglo-Catholic & Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Hopeful Universalist / Conditionalist ;
Contemplation (i.e. Fox Golden Key, Mindfulness, Theosis, Yoga); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby qaz » Sun May 14, 2017 7:10 am

I'm not a Democrat either, Randy. They support too much stuff that clashes with my values for me to ever wear the party label. But given the choice at the ballot box between them and Republicans, I generally vote Democrat.
qaz

Postby DaveB » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 am

WEll I think the populace did 'wise up' this last election. I'm no fan of either party, but I do believe that IF the economy really starts to 'lift all ships', the GOP , idiots that most of them are, will stay in power for a good stretch.
Really, there aren't any good Dem candidates on the scene right now either.

BTW, the Federalist Papers show that the Founders were well aware that democracies do not last long; they built as many safeguards into the system as they could, but they recognized that the DOI/Constitution would only work if the nation was composed of industrious, well-meaning and good people. IN their estimation, not very possible, but much better than totalitarianism.
DaveB

Postby Paidion » Sun May 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Steve 7150 wrote:Story - "Trump fires Comey because he asked for more funding to follow the Trump/Russia investigation" The truth was told by Andrew Mcabe the Acting FBI Director testifying before Congress that no additional funding was needed or requested and funding is not asked for individual cases.

Lets' consider Trump's own words as to "one of the reasons" he fired Comey:

Trump conducted a television interview with NBC's Lester Holt in which he said one of the reasons he fired the FBI chief was because Comey was too focused on investigating links between the Trump campaign and Russia instead of the "real story"...
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby DaveB » Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Trump has nothing to fear from the truth, but he does from fake news.
We did not hear much outrage when Hillary sold a lot of U.S. uranium to Russia, did we? Why?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... tory-sham/
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Sun May 14, 2017 1:26 pm

And it's clear that Russia would have benefitted from Obama 2.0 (Hillary) much more than from a Trump win.

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/446148/print

An article of real substance
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sun May 14, 2017 1:40 pm

DaveB wrote:And it's clear that Russia would have benefitted from Obama 2.0 (Hillary) much more than from a Trump win.

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/446148/print

An article of real substance

Well, based upon Wiki at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Review, it says this:

Since its founding, the magazine has played a significant role in the development of conservatism in the United States, helping to define its boundaries and promoting fusionism while establishing itself as a leading voice on the American right.[3]

Why can't I just pull a Steve and David here, and say this publication suffers from "conservative bias" :?: :lol:

Charismatic Eastern Anglo-Catholic & Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Hopeful Universalist / Conditionalist ;
Contemplation (i.e. Fox Golden Key, Mindfulness, Theosis, Yoga); Healing (i.e. Homeopathy, Kampo / TCM, Ayurveda, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby maintenanceman » Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Paidion wrote:
Steve 7150 wrote:Story - "Trump fires Comey because he asked for more funding to follow the Trump/Russia investigation" The truth was told by Andrew Mcabe the Acting FBI Director testifying before Congress that no additional funding was needed or requested and funding is not asked for individual cases.

Lets' consider Trump's own words as to "one of the reasons" he fired Comey:

Trump conducted a television interview with NBC's Lester Holt in which he said one of the reasons he fired the FBI chief was because Comey was too focused on investigating links between the Trump campaign and Russia instead of the "real story"...

maintenanceman

Postby qaz » Sun May 14, 2017 5:14 pm

DaveB wrote:Trump has nothing to fear from the truth, but he does from fake news.
We did not hear much outrage when Hillary sold a lot of U.S. uranium to Russia, did we? Why?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... tory-sham/

Is that the Trump supporter defense mechanism? To a priori label any press coverage of Trump that can be perceived of as negative as "fake news" i.e. libel?
qaz

Postby Paidion » Sun May 14, 2017 7:10 pm

You said it, qaz. That's it exactly.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Paidion

Postby DaveB » Sun May 14, 2017 9:39 pm

No that's not right, and I'm surprised at you, Don.
The fact is there has been much fake news aka lies - I linked to a bunch but who cares, right? And the Breitbart web link - more fact, but who cares?
Much easier to moan about Trump, before you see what he actually accomplishes.

And damn, how many times do I have to say a pox on BOTH parties?? I'd like the truth, that's it plain and simple. I don't care who is right or wrong - do you??
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Sun May 14, 2017 10:25 pm

More fake news which perhaps you have forgotten? The violence at Trump rallies, it was reported, was Trump people being stirred to violence.

Then project Veritas interviewed the DEMOCRATIC operative who arranged the violent acts - hired street people, union workers, etc. to perpetuate the fights and disturbances to make Trump look bad.

Those are the pesky facts, again. No media bias? Open your eyes.

https://d1sb17b1leotpq.cloudfront.net/r ... llies.html
DaveB

Postby qaz » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 am

I agree that there is a left-wing bias among some news orgs about what stories get reported and how much press these stories get, and also a left-wing bias in terms of commentators for these orgs, but these are not not the same thing is lying. DaveB, it's strange for you to complain about news orgs having a bias, when virtually every current events piece you post is commentary from a right-wing news org.

qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Mon May 15, 2017 3:43 am

But I say the bias is deliberate and encouraged - by the networks. As opposed to something like the BBC, that tries to be objective.

Now when I watch a BBC news cast, they fill the news with stories around the world. And mention things happening in countries, we wouldn't consider newsworthy.

There's only so many times, when a massacre occurs. Or North Korea fires a missile. So what do you fill the news hour or half hour with? Well, what Trump is up to. Or his administration. Or whoever is in power. And encourage the commentaries, to get folks up in arms.

Why? So you turn to CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, MSMBC, etc. Watch the station. Boost the ratings. And - most importantly - buy the sponsors products.

It's show business.

As far as the global hack goes, here's an informative article from Scientific American:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby maintenanceman » Mon May 15, 2017 2:40 pm

HFPZ said
But I say the bias is deliberate and encouraged - by the networks. As opposed to something like the BBC, that tries to be objective.

Now when I watch a BBC news cast, they fill the news with stories around the world. And mention things happening in countries, we wouldn't consider newsworthy.

I am surprised at you Randy, you have to know that the BBC is their top notch version of 'network media news' :lol:
maintenanceman

Postby steve7150 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:19 pm

More fake news which perhaps you have forgotten?

They don't let us forget even if you want to forget! Recently the left wing media AKA "groupthink" accused Trump of firing Comey because he was getting close to proving collusion between Trump and Russia! After 10 months of investigation there is not a shred of evidence to support this but the "groupthink" party on the left wants a special prosecutor. The law says to have a Special Prosecutor you need "probable cause" and there isn't any, not a shred.

Today the Wash Post runs a story that when Team Trump met the Russian Ambassador recently at the White House, Trump disclosed highly classified info to the Russians! The "leftist, groupthink" media like CNN,MSNBC,NY Times,NBC,ABC & CBS immediately copied the story even though the source is the well known "unnamed sources." The folks at the meeting with Trump were H.R. Macmasters & Secy of State Rex Tillarson & Dana Powers and they all deny the story. They all say Trump did not disclose military info but talked about possible methods of attack by ISIS since Russia & the USA have a common enemy. But "the left" just got their fresh batch of red meat to energize them for another run at Trump and they are not going to be influenced by any silly facts.
You think there may be bias in the media? It's way beyond just bias!
steve7150

Postby DaveB » Mon May 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Well said.
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Here's a new, free, downloadable pamphlet - a .pdf - 95 pages but they are short.
Anyone of us on this thread is aware of the deep deep divide in the country, and there seems to be absolutely no middle ground.
The booklet tries to show the reasons for the predicament. It's very well researched and written, educational, and it will convince NOBODY. Because, it appears, everyone is already convinced of things, facts notwithstanding.
And by the way, it's written by a conservative, so not worth the cyberspace it's written on. ;)

So with a deep sense of futility, here's the link to the download.

http://www.frontpagemag.com/sites/defau ... ericas.pdf
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue May 16, 2017 4:01 am

Yesterday, I walked into a Dollar General store. I glanced at the National Enquirer, on the shelf. There was a picture of Trump. The headline was Trump's plan for world peace. If I had more time, I would have glanced through the publication - for more details.

But it got me to thinking. The National Enquirer has been around, for a long time. So I can assume the story is 100% accurate - with no bias. Right :?:

This headline raises so many questions. Like:

What is a definition of bias?
    How do we know something is bias?
    Can we measure and/or prove bias scientifically, through any of our known academic disciplines?
    Does some "expert" or "respectable" media outlet...labeling something as "bias" - make it so?

Or to put it in terms of epistemology: how do we know what we know, in regards to bias?

How do we know, for example, that this headline wasn't true :?: A horrifying thought crossed my mind. We might even have aliens, advising Trump and his administration :!: :o :shock:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby steve7150 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm

What is a definition of bias?
How do we know something is bias?
Can we measure and/or prove bias scientifically, through any of our known academic disciplines?
Does some "expert" or "respectable" media outlet...labeling something as "bias" - make it so?

Years ago a Supreme Court Justice was asked to define pornography and he couldn't but he did say he will know it when he sees it!

Additionally as i mentioned before the anti-Trump media is well beyond bias, it's a consistent coordinated attack to discredit him. Even the Russians hacking the election story the Dems have relentlessly pushed may not be true. Seth Rich the DNC staffer who was murdered allegedly sent Wikileaks 44K e-mails with 17K attachments. The story that the Russians hacked the DNC was not determined by the FBI because the DNC wouldn't let the FBI inspect it's computers. It was determined by a firm the DNC privately hired.
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Tue May 16, 2017 1:05 pm

steve7150 wrote:Years ago a Supreme Court Justice was asked to define pornography and he couldn't but he did say he will know it when he sees it!

Wiki gave a definition of "I know it when I see it" at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_know_it_when_I_see_it:

The phrase "I know it when I see it" is a colloquial expression by which a speaker attempts to categorize an observable fact or event, although the category is subjective or lacks clearly defined parameters.

I think the last part of the definition, is very important:

...although the category is subjective or lacks clearly defined parameters.

Reminds me of this guy ;)

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby Paidion » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 pm

I think that if person X supports and defends person Y, no matter what Y does, and if any negative stories about person Y comes out in most media, but are dismissed by Y and his supporters as "false news", and if the reports of media 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 are regarded as "lying", and their news reports are regarded as false, by Y and his supporters, while media 13 and 14 which report only positive things about Y are regarded by Y and his supporters as "the truth", then I think X is biased in favour of Y.
Paidion

Paidion

Postby steve7150 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:29 pm

think that if person X supports and defends person Y, no matter what Y does, and if any negative stories about person Y comes out in most media, but are dismissed by Y and his supporters as "false news", and if the reports of media 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and 12 are regarded as "lying", and their news reports are regarded as false, by Y and his supporters, while media 13 and 14 which report only positive things about Y are regarded by Y and his supporters as "the truth", then I think X is biased in favour of Y.
Paidion

Media 1-12 almost always quote "unnamed sources" and almost always immediately copy each other real time without verifying anything. I receive this on my phone on a regular basis, it's more like a game show then news.
steve7150

Postby qaz » Wed May 17, 2017 6:16 am

So you don't think news orgs should ever use sources that wish to be anonymous?

In any case, left leaning news orgs do a lot more reporting than merely quoting unnamed sources.
qaz

Postby steve7150 » Wed May 17, 2017 6:48 am

So you don't think news orgs should ever use sources that wish to be anonymous?

Certainly an anonymous story is a lot more unreliable although it can be true, but also it can be untrue. So when it already is anonymous and comes out and is immediately copied by the same news org over and over when the subject matter is anti-Trump it's beyond bias or left leaning IMHO.

BTW i have no special affinity to Trump, i just believe in free markets and free speech and honestly if it were up to me i'd rather see Mike Pence as President.
steve7150

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 am

steve7150 wrote:[

BTW i have no special affinity to Trump, i just believe in free markets and free speech and honestly if it were up to me i'd rather see Mike Pence as President.

Actually, Steve, I am 100% in accordance, with that statement :D

P.S. Most of my Zombie friends, also agree. :)

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby steve7150 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:44 am

P.S. Most of my Zombie friends, also agree. :)

Yes they look like yuge Mike Pence supporters! ;)

Actually i think many of the hard core left wing think if Trump gets impeached then Hill would be Pres! :lol:
steve7150

Postby DaveB » Wed May 17, 2017 11:35 am

Well this guy does NOT like Mr. Trump. But he's such a good writer, and writes incisively about so many things, that it's only fair he gets recognition here and I think you will find him stimulating. If you are a Trump supporter, take a xanax before reading. :D

IN full:
I haven’t written much about the ongoing siege of the Trump presidency; I haven’t frankly, had much to add. But I should say something, I suppose.

First, I should say that Donald Trump is proving to be everything that all of us knew or feared he would be: a vain, impulsive, unlettered vulgarian bigmouth, ignorant, undisciplined, and unreflective. I’ll say also that he’s been, just in terms of keeping his campaign promises, a disappointment to many millions of voters who supported him not just to stop Hillary Clinton, but in the hope of aggressive and effective reversal of decades of managerial-state growth, suicidal immigration policy, and race-baiting “social-justice” warfare against the traditional American nation.

That said, it should be obvious to all that a bloodthirsty coalition of the media and members of the United States Government (especially, in the latter category, members of the judiciary and the intelligence community) are waging a bitter, take-no-prisoners campaign against this sitting President, using everything they can lay a hand on. From the start there has been a torrent of leaks, obviously coming from people with privileged access (and therefore also, obviously in many cases felonious), and the press has, in every news cycle, done everything in its power to damage and destabilize Mr. Trump’s administration. Every day is another barrage of unsourced accusations, and (in particular) charges of treasonous collusion with Russia for which no evidence is ever given.

There is not the least attempt at coherence or consistency. Things that were defended (or, at least, ignored) when Democrats did them — like sharing anti-terror intelligence with Russia, or alleged carelessness with classified material, or believing James Comey shouldn’t be the FBI director — are front-page scandals for Mr. Trump. (What this shows is simply that looking for such consistency, is naive, as we’ve pointed out before.)

Now Ross Douthat of the New York Times is calling for the removal of Mr. Trump using the mechanism outlined in Section IV of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment: the Vice-President and Cabinet declare him “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” — and should the President disagree, a two-thirds majority of both houses of Congress chucks him out anyway.

I doubt that this could happen, but you never know. I do know that if it does happen, it will be seen by scores of millions of Americans as a forcible usurpation of the man they sent to Washington to “drain the swamp” — by the very snakes, leeches and reptiles they sent him there to do battle with. It will ratchet the nation another step closer to dissolution (or worse).

I’ve said for a while that politics in America are divided beyond all hope of healing, and that the civic and social cohesion that is absolutely essential for the central governance of such a vast and diverse nation is irreparably destroyed. It has seemed inevitable to me for at least five years that the United States, as presently constituted, will not exist very much longer. One metaphor I’ve used for the state of our politics is the way a car goes off the road: the driver sees, almost too late, that he’s drifted out of his lane, steers wildly back to center, overcorrects, yanks the wheel even more frantically back the other way, and after a few iterations of this ends up losing control altogether, with disastrous consequences.

With that metaphor in mind: if you’re wondering about the title of this post, here’s a video that should make it clear.

http://malcolmpollack.com/
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Wed May 17, 2017 9:14 pm

For me, really, the media bias question has been completely settled. The 'anonymous sources' angle is covered pretty well here:
YMMV
http://www.frontpagemag.com/fpm/266714/ ... greenfield
DaveB

Postby DaveB » Fri May 19, 2017 2:45 pm

And a recent Harvard study. If you're a doubter, take a xanax before reading.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/harvard ... 8-negative
DaveB

Postby qaz » Sat May 20, 2017 6:00 am

Here's another news story on Trumps anti-animal welfare reform agenda.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/ag-dept-delays ... /520951003
qaz

Postby qaz » Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 am

So what we have Trump so far: supporting a healthcare bill that will significantly increase healthcare costs for people with expensive needs; removing restrictions on fossil fuel emissions; fighting against reforms to improve the living conditions of farm animals; allowing ISPs to sell internet-user browser history; and now ending net neutrality. But hey, at least there's been a reduction in illegal immigration. The people who pick our fruits and vegetables have been such a big concern for me. :roll:
qaz

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sat May 20, 2017 6:24 am

I think Trump forgot about one thing, in building this wall. That's the resourcefulness, of the Mexican zombies :!: :lol:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 am

qaz, I am not an expert on this particular issue. I have read a few things, and this article, written by a very animal-welfare proponent, shows the history of Obama's horrible attitude toward animals throughout his presidency. The Act you are referring to was signed 2 days before he left office.

Excerpt:
While supposed animal welfare advocates everywhere are busy ... their favorite animal abuser, let’s run down just a few examples of some of Obama’s most ridiculously anti-animal/anti-animal advocate actions as president:

Provided a $12 million grant through the USDA’s Dairy Management Council of the American Dairy Association to (get this) Domino’s Pizza in exchange for (wait for it) using 40% MORE cheese on pizzas;
The legalizing of the hunting and slaughter of America’s wild horses for human consumption, after promising to ban the act during his campaign for the presidency;
The backing of Ag Gag bills across the country that aim to unconstitutionally ban filming inside slaughterhouses, and criminally charge anyone caught doing so;
The signing into law of Senate Bill 1867 which not only lifted the ban on bestiality in the military (I must have missed all those US soldiers clamoring for the right to rape animals), but also, thanks to Obama’s predecessor and The Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, which classifies animal activists as potential terrorists, now legally allows for their detainment indefinitely. And here we all thought that Bush and Obama weren’t alike!
The purchasing of millions of chickens, hogs, lambs, and fish from farms and slaughterhouses across the US to, according to USDA spokesperson, Tom Vilsack, “Help bring supply in line with demand.” The Defense Department was even enlisted to “speed up purchases,” and said it “would review its meat purchases and see if they can be accelerated.” While campaigning in Iowa and bragging about the $170 million dollars in federal funds he had just dropped to “help the farmers through this crisis,” Obama is quoted as saying, “We’ll just freeze it for later. We’ve got lots of freezers.” Where is Michelle’s anti-obesity campaign when you need it?
The above statistic paves the way for Obama’s next act; the “by dark of night” signing of the 2012 Farm Bill, which, hidden amidst a massive “Fiscal Cliff” package, not only continued exorbitant government subsidies to farmers and ranchers, but also required the USDA to begin buying up dairy products. Wow! Screw the free market (and the animals)! Obama proved that the government can simply create supply and demand! Who knew?
And finally, a $15 million grant through the Dept. of Health and Human Services to build Arizona State University’s “Research Park,” which has become one of the world’s largest animal testing facilities, housing more than a quarter of a million animals, and unabashedly performing vivisection despite outcry from animal advocates.

LInk: https://ethikapolitika.org/2013/02/08/p ... al-rights/
DaveB

Postby qaz » Sat May 20, 2017 10:06 am

Hi Dave. From your link...

The legalizing of the hunting and slaughter of America’s wild horses for human consumption, after promising to ban the act during his campaign for the presidency;

These horses were being slaughtered anyway. The US was just outsourcing it to other countries. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -industry/

The backing of Ag Gag bills across the country that aim to unconstitutionally ban filming inside slaughterhouses, and criminally charge anyone caught doing so;

I haven't found a single news article that says Obama supported keeping animal cruelty information away from the public. Trump on the other hand... https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ani ... 16953bdf1d

And finally, a $15 million grant through the Dept. of Health and Human Services to build Arizona State University’s “Research Park,” which has become one of the world’s largest animal testing facilities, housing more than a quarter of a million animals, and unabashedly performing vivisection despite outcry from animal advocates.

This indeed is bad. The rest are non-issues.
qaz

Postby DaveB » Sat May 20, 2017 11:09 am

DaveB

Postby qaz » Sat May 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Dave, please reread my post. I said I haven't read anywhere that Obama supports ag gag. I said some of the other things mentioned were non-issues, not that.
qaz

Postby DaveB » Sat May 20, 2017 2:34 pm

qaz wrote:I haven't found a single news article that says Obama supported keeping animal cruelty information away from the public

The article I linked to was during the Obama administration, but I suppose he's not responsible.
DaveB

Postby qaz » Mon May 22, 2017 5:58 am

Right. Just because something happens while someone is President doesn't mean the President supports it! :lol:
qaz

Postby DaveB » Mon May 22, 2017 6:04 am

:lol:

Which I'll try to keep in mind for the next 8 years :D
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Mon May 22, 2017 6:18 am

qaz wrote:Right. Just because something happens while someone is President doesn't mean the President supports it! :lol:

Me thinks he is learning the difference between statistical correlation and statistical causation :!: :lol:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Postby DaveB » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Let's see - this guy is from an elite group of politicians who decided they did NOT want Obamacare for themselves, but were willing to inflict it on the rest of the country?

A pox on them all. There are a lot of people that will choose NOT to be on the new program - their choice.
DaveB

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 pm

DaveB wrote:Let's see - this guy is from an elite group of politicians who decided they did NOT want Obamacare for themselves, but were willing to inflict it on the rest of the country?

A pox on them all. There are a lot of people that will choose NOT to be on the new program - their choice.

Or can't afford to be, on the new program. Again, their choice :?: :roll:

Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

PreviousNext

Return to Christian Living