The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Who is this "son of man"?

So the crowd answered him, “We have heard from the Law that the Christ remains forever. How can you say that the Son of Man must be lifted up? Who is this Son of Man?” (John 12:34 ESV)

As long as I have considered the matter, I have supposed that by calling Himself “the son of man,” Jesus was simply declaring that He was fully human while He walked this earth.

But could Jesus have meant more than that? I notice that in the book of Ezekiel, Yahweh addresses Ezekiel as “Son of Man” 93 times. Why? Was Yahweh merely indicating that he was human? Or did He have a deeper reason for addressing him that way?

As I understand it… “son of man” Ezekiel came as God’s “prophet” to Israel i.e., His voice; “Son of man” Jesus came as God’s (final) “Prophet” to Israel i.e., His (final) Voice… those who had ‘ears to hear and eyes to see’ heard and saw the Father in Jesus.

I would say that that the son of man is referring to the everyday average working class Joe. The way I see it, God was not the one who needed to be resurrected from the dead, for He is eternal. It is man that needs to be " lifted up" from the grave; the resurrection being that of the living dead. From what I understand, this is what Jesus came to do. Man is divine. The definition of divine as “being or having the nature of a deity”. No, we are not God, as God is fully divine. However, we do have His nature. This is also what Jesus revealed to us.

But could Jesus have meant more than that?

Around Dan 7.13 it says “I saw one like the Son of Man coming into his kingdom” so that sounds like a Messianic title or King or Prince.

The ASV, Darby, ESV, , HCSB, JPS, NASB, Rotherham, RSV, WEB, and YLT all translate it as “I saw one like a son of man.” Also, the Septuagint lacks the article before “son” and thus “like a son of man.” This would suggest that this person to whom “was given dominion, Glory and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations and men of every language might serve Him,” whose “dominion is an everlasting dominion which will not pass away; and” whose “kingdom is one which will not be destroyed” is “like an ordinary human being” (even though He is the Son of God).

It reminds me of the passage in Philippians 2: 5-8
Have this mind in you, that also was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made emptied Himself, taking the form of a slave, having been begotten in the likeness of human beings. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient until death, and death on a cross.

At Fuller in the 60’s George Ladd taught us that Jesus’ reference to himself as the “son of man” often fits the Psalm’s usage where it just means a human being. But that in some of the eschatological references about coming on the clouds, etc, he thought it seemed clearly associated with being the exalted figure in Daniel 7. He didn’t hold that this figure was seen by Daniel as deity, but was at least a unique human Messianic figure who would be raised up to God, share His authority, and be worshipped.

At Fuller in the 60’s George Ladd taught us that Jesus’ reference to himself as the “son of man” often fits the Psalm’s usage where it just means a human being. But that in some of the eschatological references about coming on the clouds, etc, he thought it seemed clearly associated with being the exalted figure in Daniel 7. He didn’t hold that this figure was seen by Daniel as deity, but was at least a unique human Messianic figure who would be raised up to God, share His authority, and be worshipped.

Psalm 8:4-8 says this: “What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor. You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet, All sheep and oxen- even the beasts of the field, the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea that pass through the paths of the seas.” This is any man who follows God. As Proverbs 29:2 says," When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people mourn." So it is that Jesus said, “Rise,take up your bed and walk.”

Interesting that you should quote that passage from Psalm 8, LLC. The writer to the Hebrews also quotes it in chapter 2:

Verses 6-8 seems to be speaking of mankind and his offspring:
6 But one testified in a certain place, saying: “What is man that You are mindful of him, Or the son of man that You take care of him?
7 You have made him a little lower than the angels; You have crowned him with glory and honor, And set him over the works of Your hands.
8 You have put all things in subjection under his feet.” For in that He put all in subjection under him, He left nothing that is not put under him. But now we do not yet see all things put under him.

Then, using comparison and also “but” by way of contrast, the writer indicates that Jesus also was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honour:

9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

There is something beautiful about the Son of Man to me.

It’s like a poignant emphasis upon His total humanity. He was born of a virgin- under law. I have always felt that the fact that He was born under law means He was totally human.

Yet He loved His Father so much He lived in total obedience to love for all.

Then as Isaac upon the altar, the anguish of Abraham reflecting the anguish of the Father. Friend of God. They had something in common.

I don’t really understand the aspect of Jesus as a seed planted through death, but I know it is true. A human planted in the earth as the seed. The seed germinates as a new creation, a contagious matrix converting dead things into living things.

It’s just too beautiful for words, but Phillipians chapter 2 comes pretty close.

Being found in appearance(form) as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Col 1 yields a beautiful link with Phil 2

19 For it was the Father’s good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him, and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

As does John 12:32

"And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself.”

He knew. And the price of becoming the second Adam was pain, and subjection to earthly principalities, and the injustice of man and He walked by faith through it all.

Signal for me are the words, “He learned obedience through the things He suffered”.

According to the Bible, Adam was the firstborn son of God who was put in charge of God’s creation. He was a man made in God’s image. This has not changed. Any man who walks according to God’s word has the same power of authority. When we look at Christ Jesus we should see two things. We should see the Spirit of the Father ( our Creator) and we should also see ourselves ( sons who were made in the image of God). Underneath all the sin and grime, this is who we were made to be.

Could it be an expression of Jesus’s solidarity with humanity, his identification with us? So that His acceptance with God is the assurance of our acceptance with God? I would like to think this is what is meant.

Could it be an expression of Jesus’s solidarity with humanity, his identification with us? So that His acceptance with God is the assurance of our acceptance with God? I would like to think this is what is meant.

I think you could read that into it without going off the rails!

Without reading this whole thread…I saw one translation (can’t remember the lady’s name) in which Son of Man is translated “prototypical human.” Dr. Ann somethingorother. She says that’s what it means. Jesus is the epitome of what human beings are supposed to be (or become) like.