The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Cup Of Suffering

Matthew 26:39 - And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Those who hold to Penal Substitution claim that this is a reference to the Father’s penal wrath. The claim is that God’s penal wrath was poured out on Christ as the sins of the world were laid on Christ. But this can’t be true. For Christ told two people that they would drink from this exact same cup:

Matthew 20:23 - So He said to them, “You will indeed drink My cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with; but to sit on My right hand and on My left is not Mine to give, but it is for those for whom it is prepared by My Father.”

Now, to punish these people’s sins on Christ and then punish them again on these people is a double payment for these sins. It’s unjust. Therefore, the cup that Christ drank from wasn’t the cup of God’s penal wrath.

Correct, Michael. Was it not simply the cup of suffering? Christ’s disciples had to drink the cup of suffering too, even though not all of them were crucified (Peter was). The suffering in some cases was somewhat different in form. Many or all of the 12 suffered a martyr’s death except John who lived on into old age. Yet, I think even John suffered also in some way because of his faith.

Yes. Considering the fact that Christ took our place I would have to say it was God’s corrective wrath. Christ took our place so that we wouldn’t have to undergo the corrective wrath in hell. Another reason we know it is corrective is because of Isaiah 53:5 -

The chastening for our well being fell upon Him.

The Hebrew word here is musar

musar:

discipline, chastening, correction

The NASB Strongest Exhaustive Concordance

There is no penal element in this word. It’s for disciplinary and corrective purposes. It’s a masculine noun meaning instruction, discipline. Christ didn’t suffer the penal wrath of God. It was the corrective wrath of God.

Another piece of evidence that the wrath Christ suffered was disciplinary and not penal comes from the book of Hebrews:

Hebrews 5:8-9

Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered
and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him

The purpose of discipline is to bring about obedience and make holy:

Hebrews 12:4-11

4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, 6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he scourges everyone he accepts as a son.” 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.