The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Hermeneutics of Grief

Inspired by a comment made by our akimel that struck me deeply yesterday. Part one of two (maybe more?)

beingperfectlyhuman.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-hermeneutics-of-grief.html

Perhaps Part 2 will seem more relevant to the focus of this forum.

beingperfectlyhuman.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-hermeneutics-of-grief-part-2.html

Thinking about this in light of Father Alvin’s grief has solidified my thoughts about the Christus Victor atonement theory. Since I know a lot of people here don’t click through to links, I’ll post the good part here.

Read both of your articles. :slight_smile: Great stuff bro, thought-provoking, encouraging, and challenging. :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing and blessings to you. :slight_smile:

Matt

This is a topic simultaneously beautiful and terrible. Religious man has always known that there is some fundamental connection between the mental content of suffering and change toward a condition we know to be “better”. Something terrible which takes place in the incorporeal realm within the soul produces something beautiful in the self. This is one of my interests btw, trying to understand the metaphysical mechanics of this mystery. Blog was interesting, I’ll be watching to see if this line of thought progresses.

I am reminded of the Beattitudes and how privation, need, brokeness is at the very heart of them.

Blessed are the “POOR” in spirit. Of course Luke simply records, “Blessed are the poor”. In recognizing our need we position ourselves to have it met!

Of course, in regards to the “Hermeneutics of Grief”, “Blessed are the MOURNFUL” speaks volumes. It is through brokeness that we recieve the comfort of God’s presense, the Holy Spirit! God is with those of a “broken and contrite heart”! Through His presence we are strengthened, encouraged, and such often comes through revelation! So it is no wonder that many who are broken for the lost recieve comfort through the revelation of UR!

Many years ago I was reading a book in which a guy records many visions he’s recieved over the years. In one of the visions, the Lord was crying over the state of the lost and asked the guy if he could embrace His passion for the lost. The guy responded yes and the Lord took one of His tears, placed it in a cup and gave it to the guy to drink. The guy was overwhelmed with such a deep sense of sadness that he didn’t know if he could handle it. Reading the account I was overwhelmed with a desire to drink of that cup and have God work in my life with that passion. That was a Saturday and the next day in church I experienced it. The Lord spoke something to me that broke me heart for the lost that was overwhelming. I don’t think I’ve ever cried so hard in my life, crying so hard I could not breathe. I was broken beyond understanding. It was a season of brokeness in my life.

Anyhow, during that season I recall praying, asking God to reveal to me the reality of Hell, assuming that experiencing Hell would motivate me even more to be more passionate about evangelism and missions. What blows me away is how God answered that prayer, though the answer did not come for some 7 years later through the revelation of UR and the understanding that scripture does not affirm ECT, but does affirm the Jesus saves us all from this Present Evil Age! The Good News it truly “Good News” for everyone! God will reconcile of all creation to Himself! All shall be reconciled to God and one another! Love truly wins, so let us walk in love! I find myself, wanting to share this Good News with everyone! God is good and His mercy endures forever! You can run from God, but there is no where that you can go where His love will not find you - even the depths of Hades!

Thanks for the great reminder and inspiration, Sherman. That, along with a recent happening to a friend, inspired today’s post.

[urlhttp://beingperfectlyhuman.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-hermeneutics-of-grief-part-three.html]