The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Stimulating article re: global warming

Tooo much stuff, Randy. I know, I know…holy fool here. I think though, that more people (like me) would read your thoughts if you didn’t make them so, ah, I don’t know–distracting? I’m not trying to be mean, but I always just scroll past when I see cartoons lined up for me to puzzle over.

I have noticed this trend as well. I have absolutely no problem researching out impact on the climate, however, before one can make such huge claims, more evidence is needed. Unfortunately my generation prides itself regarding the scientific method, but end up with a mob rules mentality regarding pseudo science that they believe already as fact.

Still, they mean well. Money should still be invested for research like this, because even if there is not evidence that it exists, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. That us the biggest thing. If we always wait to take action until we are certain, sometimes the consequences can be far greater. I remain agnostic on this matter.

Here’s the Readers Digest version, regarding my position on this thread:

What I’m saying - in essence - is this. It doesn’t matter if climate change is real, false or somewhere in between. Investing in clean energy and renewable energy research - is very practical and pragmatic. After all, why invest the the space program at all? Are we going to make Mars another US colony or state? Hopefully not. But we can all benefit, from their practical research efforts and implementation.

Again, I think this cartoon illustrates the pragmatic aspects, of funding renewable energy and addressing environmental concerns:

http://f.tqn.com/y/politicalhumor/1/S/5/6/3/What-If-Its-A-Hoax.jpg

If we could keep politicians and “progressive” anti-Americanism out of the equation, the pragmatics might very well work.

But in actual reality, if the default position is - how do we get huge sums of money from American citizens, out of the climate kerfuffle? and make those citizens pay for the supposed colonialism and imperialism of the USA - then one way to go about it would be:

Give lots of air time and funding to those scientists willing to speak out on consensus science re: global warming, thus…
Blame mankind for the coming destruction of Gaia, thus…
Especially carbon emissions thus…
The USA is a big country that makes lots of carbon emissions ergo
The USA is going to be responsible for the coming destruction of Gaia.
So…
US citizenry is morally obligated to give money to the smaller countries that do not have the large carbon footprint, via ‘carbon credits’ or some other stupid idea.
It’s redistribution of wealth for our supposed sins.

Well, that’s currently up to Trumpenstein and the Trumpeters, along with the Rinos (Republicans in Name Only), “real” Republicans and Democrats in Congress, and the United Nations - to come up with a “game plan” and implement it. :exclamation: :smiley:

And for the “liberal media”, to inform us regarding the “game plan” and the designers. Although I also prefer to get my news, from select European and Asian news outlets - in English. As well as the tabloids. :smiley:

If you don’t like the “game plan”, then help back a lobbyist group … like I do with AARP, with the Medicare and Social Security programs. :exclamation: :smiley:

Personally, I think we should build a series of big fans and blow all the cold winter air, back to Canada, Siberia and the North Pole. :exclamation: :laughing:

Yes! I’m FOR the big fan concept (which is at least as scientific as human-caused climate change–and possibly more so). Those far-northers are used to the frigid temps, so they won’t mind–besides, it’s already cold there, so how would our fans harm them? :wink:

That said (and not speaking directly at anyone on this board)…

I’m also FOR clean air and real research and real science. **Pseudo **science is a front for scammers and immensely profitable for a vanishingly small minority of 1st world magnates. Sorry–it just is. Here where I live, the air is clean unless we have a forest fire. I understand that on the coasts and in the larger cities, this is often not the case. SO I think the coastal and metro elite ought to find a way to clean up their act rather than blaming it on us Flyover denizens. Just sayin’. The coal plants still in operation (and also most of the ones driven OUT of operation by national energy policy) are environmentally friendly with their emissions scrubbing technology. I like scrubbers. We should (and do) have scrubbers–nobody likes dirty, smutty air. That said, warring against coal (and miners) is silly. It’s hard on the poor (NOT on the rich climate change profiteers hopping about the globe in their private jets to visit their several or many mansions and attend their high-paid speaking engagements) and devastating to the middle class who provide the subsidies that enable the poor to pay their high energy bills. Global Warming is a religion. You have to take it by faith and if you don’t, well, you don’t deserve to live, being you’re an infidel of the worst sort. It’s enforced by public shaming and withholding of research funds for the “wrong sort” of scientists (who according to the elite, are not scientists at all–as evidenced by the fact that they question GW.) Not buying it.

Climate “scientist” and rent-seeking fearmonger Michael Mann has lost his libel suit against the Canadian climatologist Dr. Tim Ball.

Dr. Ball had expressed in public his belief that Dr. Mann’s infamous “Hockey Stick” graph — which artfully flattened the historic temperature record in order to suggest that a recent warming spell was an unprecedented calamity brought about by human activity — was a flim-flam put together by a Procrustean torture of the actual data. He went so far as to make the amusing suggestion that Dr. Mann, rather than being at Penn State, ought to be in the “state pen”.

Mann sued Ball for libel, but as the trial dragged on year after year, Mann steadfastly refused to “show his work”, presumably because it would reveal him to be just the fraud that Dr. Ball had said he was. Now the clock has run out, and the court has ruled in favor of Dr. Ball — and has, for good measure, held Mann liable for all the court costs as well.

It isn’t over quite yet — Dr. Mann has 30 days to appeal — but the ruling in favor of Dr. Ball certainly does “warm” the heart.

Yes, the issue is not whether global warming is or is not taking place. The fact is, global warming is taking place, but at a much slower rate than is claimed. However, the main point is whether or not human activity is the main cause, such as pouring carbon dioxide into the air through consumption of gasoline and other such fuels. Doubtless such is a factor, but a very small factor. The global warming that is now taking place would continue at almost the same rate if there were no such emissions being sent into the atmosphere.

1 Like

A petition signed, so far, by over 31,000 scientists reads in part:

“There is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gasses is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth’s atmosphere and disruption of the Earth’s climate. Moreover, there is substantial scientific evidence that increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide produce many beneficial effects upon the natural plant and animal environments of the Earth.”

Here are links to some representative scientists involved:

www.drroyspencer.com

Roy W. Spencer received his Ph.D. in meteorology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1981. Before becoming a Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2001, he was a Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center, where he and Dr. John Christy received NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal for their global temperature monitoring work with satellites. Dr. Spencer’s work with NASA continues as the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer flying on NASA’s Aqua satellite. He has provided congressional testimony several times on the subject of global warming.

Dr. Spencer’s research has been entirely supported by U.S. government agencies: NASA, NOAA, and DOE. He has never been asked by any oil company to perform any kind of service. Not even Exxon-Mobil.

climatechangereconsidered.org

The Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change (NIPCC) is what its name suggests: an international panel of nongovernment scientists and scholars who have come together to understand the causes and consequences of climate change. Because we are not predisposed to believe climate change is caused by human greenhouse gas emissions, we are able to look at evidence the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) ignores. Because we do not work for any governments, we are not biased toward the assumption that greater government activity is necessary.

Good stuff, H. Yet the billions of bucks to be made from so-called carbon credits, and the nutty push to make the taxpayers pay for needless and useless New Green deals will mean we still have to listen to the whining.

1 Like

Check it out!

Global Warming 1.pdf (219.4 KB)

The link hermano posted was good. The one you posted lacked the credentials and cited nothing past 2001… Who wrote that, Paidion? Was it published in a journal?

I’m all for being pragmatic. While we continue with traditional sources. Let’s also explore and implement things like electric cars, wind farms, solar panels, etc. I don’t want to explore, using zombies from Z-Hell (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)…as renewable energy sources, any sooner then I have to .

Yes, it is an old article. Being old doesn’t mean being incorrect.
Here are parts 2 and 3:

Global Warming 2.pdf (9.2 KB)
Global Warming 3.pdf (230.2 KB)

Being old doesn’t mean it is correct! These, have been debunked, as Qaz mentioned. Why don’t you follow the links that Qaz shared and point out the flaws for us? Better yet, engage that community. From what I have observed, you are big on confirmation bias.

Well… see what you make of these modern articles.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/earth-and-planetary-sciences/medieval-warm-period

Nobel laureate in physics “Global warming is pseudoscience”

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how do you add a PDF to Discourse - for download? Did you just embed the URL, that contains the PDF file?

I think so, but I don’t remember how I did it. I have memory loss as many other 81-year-old do.
Just keep trying—I wish you success!

I usually link to the pdf site; it’s worked a number of times for me.