Rehabilitation, retribution, the death penalty, & justice

Journals, News Prints, Magazines....

Rehabilitation, retribution, the death penalty, & justice

Postby Alex Smith » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:47 pm

I've written a distillation of my thoughts on the interplay of retribution, rehabilitation, & justice, which influences what I believe will ultimately happen to everyone: https://reforminghell.com/2017/02/12/en ... h-penalty/
Alex Smith
Administrator

Re: Rehabilitation, retribution, the death penalty, & justic

Postby Alexander » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Alex Smith wrote:I've written a distillation of my thoughts on the interplay of retribution, rehabilitation, & justice, which influences what I believe will ultimately happen to everyone: https://reforminghell.com/2017/02/12/en ... h-penalty/

How can you act like the death penalty is bad if God executed it in the OT?
1. Predestinarian
2. Protestant Nonconformist
3. Hopeful Universalist
4. Trinitarian
Alexander

Postby Paidion » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Alexander wrote:How can you act like the death penalty is bad if God executed it in the OT?

Do you mean that it is RECORDED in the OT that God executed it? Did He really command the death penalty? Or was that the ancient Israelite's understanding?

Jesus said that God was KIND to both ungrateful and evil people (Luke 6:35). How come Jesus didn't ever suggest the death penalty? He was Another exactly like the Father—"the exact imprint of God's essence" (Heb 1:3). Rather than condemn the woman taken in adultery as the Pharisees wanted to do, He said He did not condemn her. He just told her to go and sin no more (John 8:11).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 81st year of life.
Paidion

Postby Alexander » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Paidion wrote:
Alexander wrote:How can you act like the death penalty is bad if God executed it in the OT?

Do you mean that it is RECORDED in the OT that God executed it? Did He really command the death penalty? Or was that the ancient Israelite's understanding?

Jesus said that God was KIND to both ungrateful and evil people (Luke 6:35). How come Jesus didn't ever suggest the death penalty? He was Another exactly like the Father—"the exact imprint of God's essence" (Heb 1:3). Rather than condemn the woman taken in adultery as the Pharisees wanted to do, He said He did not condemn her. He just told her to go and sin no more (John 8:11).

Can you give me an example in the OT that is commonly seen as God commanding the death penalty but is not?
1. Predestinarian
3. Hopeful Universalist
4. Trinitarian
Alexander

Postby Alexander » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:10 pm

If a man molests an 11 month baby and murders it in the process, is that not worthy of the death penalty?
1. Predestinarian
3. Hopeful Universalist
4. Trinitarian
Alexander

Postby Paidion » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:05 pm

Alexander wrote:Can you give me an example in the OT that is commonly seen as God commanding the death penalty but is not?

And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks on the sabbath day. And they that found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him. And the LORD said to Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. (Numbers 15:32-36)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 81st year of life.
Paidion

Postby Agnostic Gabe » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm

As a Christian, I was opposed to the death penalty. As an Agnostic, I say "good riddance" of people who clearly have no right to their life after they destroy another's. Even now, if I were to become a Christian again, I'd still say good riddance. In fact, I see no redeeming value in mercy when it comes to the death penalty. You had your chance! If you repented, God will know it. That said, I do oppose torture, but not a swift execution. I think people who oppose the death penalty are soft. Many soft people are able to live the way they are because hard people are taking care of business for them.

Additionally, look at this a different way. What is more humane, taking the life of someone, or keeping them locked in a CAGE for the rest of their life? I think the latter is torture, while the former is punishment and freedom from a life wasted. You can reform your ways in the next life! Well, that is what I say.
Agnostic Gabe

Return to Articles