The Good News: a Modern Christian Apology

Discuss any book in relation to theology.

The Good News: a Modern Christian Apology

Postby Robert Wagener » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:00 am

All

I wrote this last year. It's available in various places, including Waterstones and Amazon. I haven't sold any copies yet, though, so I wondered if some of you might be prepared to read it and give me your honest opinions. I could send you a copy free of charge or just provide the text as an attachment.

Many thanks

Robert
Robert Wagener

Re: The Good News: a Modern Christian Apology

Postby pilgrim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:19 am

Hi Robert
It certainly seems like a fascinating book from what I've read here:
The Good News examines the assumptions that underpin disbelief, and seeks to show that there is plenty of room for faith in the modern world. The book also challenges orthodoxy, particularly its teachings relating to sin, suffering and salvation, where it offers some fresh answers to the oldest and most fundamental of questions. Some of the issues the book tackles are familiar territory, such as the well-trodden path of evolution versus creation. However, even here much of the material is new, such as the detailed re-appraisal of radiometric dating and the ‘bad design’ arguments advanced by Richard Dawkins. The first chapter offers two logical proofs of the soul’s existence, which even Professor Quine was unable to discredit. The next chapter provides the most thorough feasibility study of Noah’s Ark yet written, including a detailed dissection of the chronology of Egypt and other ancient civilisations. Chapter 4 provides a comprehensive review of the scriptures relating to universal salvation, including an in-depth linguistic analysis of the key texts. Chapter 5 offers an explanation for the apparent absence of miracles in the modern world by presenting a completely fresh translation and exegesis of Daniel’s prophecies. The book’s penultimate paragraph tackles the most deep-seated epistemological problems and offers a philosophical justification for certainty. The book will be of interest to believers and non-believers alike, particularly those whose convictions are not strong. And those who already have a strong faith should find a wide-range of new ideas to both support and challenge them.

http://www.amazon.in/Good-News-Modern-C ... 1526205874

But I cannot find a retail source in the UK yet.
God bless
the unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
pilgrim

Postby Robert Wagener » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:11 am

Many thanks.

That's odd. You should be able to get it from several sources, and I just tested Amazon.co.uk and Waterstone's. Please see the attached.
If you still have problems, however, please let me know and I'll report the issue. In the meantime, I could then either send you an electronic version or post you a copy.

God bless

Robert

PS Love the picture of Alastair Sim; he was a great Scrooge
PPS Plato's quotation of Socrates is also a favourite; I used it at my father's funeral.
Attachments
The Good News.docx
(834.45 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Robert Wagener

Postby qaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 am

Sounds right up my alley!

Regarding your argument for the soul's existence, do you make the argument from reason? I have found the AFR to be the only compelling natural theology argument.

Also, I can't find your book on Amazon.
qaz

Postby Robert Wagener » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 am

Qaz

Thank you.

I've attached a Word document with some links. Please do tell me, though, if you continue to have problems.

The arguments about the soul are two logical proofs based on the nature of consciousness, using two gedank experiments.

God bless you

Robert
Attachments
The Good News.docx
(10.85 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Robert Wagener

Postby steve7150 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:26 am

On Amazon here in the U.S it says the book is unavailable.
steve7150

Postby pilgrim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 am

This is what I get:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... an+Apology
We found 0 results for "The Good News: a Modern Christian Apology"
Use fewer keywords or try these instead
pilgrim

Postby Robert Wagener » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:19 am

All

Hmm. I've gone to Amazon to ask why some of you are getting out of stock messages, but I don't.

For those having search problems, I'd recommend just clicking on the hyperlinks I sent you instead - please see the Word document attached.

God bless and many thank you for your patience.

Robert

[url]Amazon.com[/url]
[url]Amazon.co.uk[/url]
[url]Waterstone’s[/url]
Attachments
The Good News.docx
(11.01 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Robert Wagener

Postby pilgrim » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm

Thanks, those links work and show it as available in the uk.
Its curious that if I search Amazon uk for "The Good News: a modern Christian Apology" or "A modern Christian Apology" it does not appear. It only seems to appear if I include your name.

I have read some of the available pages online and feel it is well written. The topics you deal with are very wide-ranging and I am intrigued as to your background and qualifications.

I infer from page 375 that you believe that the age of miracles ended in the first century CE. Am I correct in my inference? Are you concluding that there has been not one single miraculous event in the subsequent years?
pilgrim

Postby qaz » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Robert, could you tell me what positions you defend on the topics you cover in the book?
qaz

Postby Robert Wagener » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:05 am

Qaz & Pilgrim

Thank you for your interest. It's very much appreciated.

The answers to your questions will be found in the book. And if you let me have an address each, I'll happily arrange for a copy to sent to you each of you free of charge, if you agree to let me have some constructive feedback. I haven't sold any copies yet and would value your input.

As regards my background, I've been a Christian for 43 years and was confirmed as an Anglican in my teens. After then I attended a local Pentecostal church and then a Baptist church when I was at university studying English. I also have A levels in Divinity and Biology and have spent decades deepening my knowledge in these and other areas to enable me to write the book. I also used my scientific knowledge to acquire US and UK patents for a 'homeostatic insulin pump' I designed.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind telling me a bit about yourselves.

God bless you

Robert
Robert Wagener

Postby pilgrim » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Robert
Thank you for your reply.
I am 59 yrs old, I live in North Yorkshire. My Dad was a Pentecostal minister and I have attended Pentecostal, FIEC, Anglican and Baptist Churches. At present I am helping out at the local Salvation Army Core and trying to support inter-denominational outreach.
I would describe myself as a hopeful evangelical universalist. In my youth I obtained a BSc in Mathematics and have taught at secondary school level for more years than I care to remember. I have devoted much of my spare time to studying scripture and Christian Theology. I have read an English translation of the Quran and would like to know more about the other major religions but time is limited. I have two daughters, one is a lecturer and Director of studies at a Bible College (married to an aspiring Anglican minister) and the other has just started teaching.

I appreciate your very kind offer but I feel that I would not do the task justice. I am interested in your interpretation of Daniel's prophecies and what I infer is a cessationist standpoint (possibly Preterist?) which is why I asked the question at the end of my post:
I infer from page 375 that you believe that the age of miracles ended in the first century CE. Am I correct in my inference? Are you concluding that there has been not one single miraculous event in the subsequent years?

God bless you

John
pilgrim

Postby qaz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm

I was raised Catholic. Went through a period of unbelief before coming back to Christ, only this time as a protestant (non-denominational). I used to be a strong believer in ET, and it got bad, to the point that I was miserable all the time, thinking about the souls of the damned being tormented and their situation never getting better. Eventually I discovered annihilationism. I wasn't sure if ET or anni was the truth, but I thought I was certain that universalism was merely baseless wishful thinking. I found this forum, tried to refute universalism on here, and realized I might be wrong about soteriology. I stuck around, read the best universalist books (Talbott's TILOG; Reitan and Kronen's GFV), and have become a convinced universalist.

I have no formal theological education. My bachelors degree is in Political Science. Aside from soteriology, my big interests are political philosophy and metaphysics.
qaz

Postby Robert Wagener » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:37 am

John

I'd be happy for you to just review the chapter on miracles, if you like?

I do broadly believe that there are no miracles after the end of the apostolic age, apart from those signalled in prophecies before then. The latter would of course include Christ's parousia and the Day of Judgement.

God bless

Robert
Robert Wagener

Postby pilgrim » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:30 am

Robert

You are very kind and I appreciate your offer but, as I said earlier, I don't think I could do the job justice. My own interpretation of scripture leads me away from both Preterism and Cessationism. My view of the prophecies in Daniel are very different to yours and so I do not believe that I am the man for the job.

God bless you

John
pilgrim

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 am

Robert Wagener wrote:All

I wrote this last year. It's available in various places, including Waterstones and Amazon. I haven't sold any copies yet, though, so I wondered if some of you might be prepared to read it and give me your honest opinions. I could send you a copy free of charge or just provide the text as an attachment.

Many thanks

Robert

Actually, you should exchange that offer, for giving a written review on Amazon - in exchange. Just sharing a tip, that the professionals use (NOT that I'm one, mind you. But I know what they do, on the marketing side). :D

Charismatic / Eastern Anglo-Catholic / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA; Zombie Apocalypse;
Contemplation (Celtic, Mindfulness, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Return to Books