The Unvarnished New Testament

Discuss any book in relation to theology.

The Unvarnished New Testament

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:13 pm

Is anyone acquainted with this translation? I've had it for a number of years but thought I'd lost it....found it today and remembered that it gives a pleasant reading experience. I'm not sure how 'unvarnished' it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Unvarnished-New- ... +testament
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful:
The Lord God made them all.
DaveB

Re: The Unvarnished New Testament

Postby Holy-Fool-P-Zombie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 pm

I looked at the Amazon link, Dave. It has been published in 1991, but only has 24 customer reviews. That's really not a sign, that it's a popular book. Just an observation. :D
Charismatic / Eastern Anglo-Catholic / Holy Fool; Inclusivist / Purgatorial Conditionalist / Nicene Creed / ACNA; Joel Osteen fan;
Contemplation (Celtic, Mindfulness, Red Road, Yoga, Zen); Holistic Medicine (i.e. Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Kampo, Traditional, Spiritual);
Holy-Fool-P-Zombie

Location: Near Chicago or hanging out with Holy Fools, Zombies, P-Zombies, Nerds and Geeks

Postby maintenanceman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:24 pm

DaveB wrote:Is anyone acquainted with this translation? I've had it for a number of years but thought I'd lost it....found it today and remembered that it gives a pleasant reading experience. I'm not sure how 'unvarnished' it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Unvarnished-New- ... +testament

What does unvarnished mean? :?
maintenanceman

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:30 pm

Without varnish, of course. :D

Seriously, according to the translator, the attempt was made to NOT translate in accordance with traditional views on what the text 'should say'.
DaveB

Postby Paidion » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:37 pm

There is no such animal as an "Unvarnished New Testament." (Catchy title, though!)

Since the original manuscripts do not exist, every translation, including this one, is varnished.

Let's consider the very first verse in Matthew. The "Unvarnished" translation begins, "The book of the birth of Jesus the Anointed..."
Now "the Anointed" or "the Anointed One" is an excellent translation of "χριστος" (christos). That is exactly what the word means.
However, "birth" is a poor translation of "γενεσις" (genesis). This is a word that refers to the source or origin of one's lineage, that is his geneology. Indeed, "geneology" is precisely the translation given by the RSV and the ESV, and (in my opinion) is the best.

In spite of the name,"The Unvarnished New Testament" (in my opinion) is no more unvarnished than any other.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 76 years. I am now in my 80th year of life.
Paidion

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:31 pm

But it DOES have the catchy title!

I'm still hoping for the translation that clears up the questions about the Incarnation, the dual nature of Christ, the Trinity, the Virgin Birth and a bunch of other stuff. I'll be waiting a good long time I reckon. :D
DaveB

Postby maintenanceman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:09 pm

DaveB wrote:But it DOES have the catchy title!

I'm still hoping for the translation that clears up the questions about the Incarnation, the dual nature of Christ, the Trinity, the Virgin Birth and a bunch of other stuff. I'll be waiting a good long time I reckon. :D

Ya know, I'm not sure that what you are looking for will happen, for any of us, but when I read JB Phillips translation of the new testament, I felt like I was actually reading Paul's letters... It was like there was energy and excitement that I had never realized in other translations. Mr. Phillips had his problems, which, in my estimation, makes Him a viable relator of the Gospel. He lived for God and in his own way suffered greatly.

Lord bless him. :(

Chad :D
maintenanceman

Postby DaveB » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:23 pm

I like the JBP translation just fine - I turn to it often. I know nothing of the man's life however, and will remedy that soon.
Thanks
DaveB

Postby Geoffrey » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:25 pm

maintenanceman wrote:[W]hen I read JB Phillips translation of the new testament, I felt like I was actually reading Paul's letters... It was like there was energy and excitement that I had never realized in other translations.

Of all the English translations I have read, I think J. B. Phillips's translations of Paul read the best.
Nicean Universalism
http://niceanuniversalism.freeforums.net/
a new message board discussing Christian universalism
Geoffrey

Postby maintenanceman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:44 pm

DaveB wrote:I like the JBP translation just fine - I turn to it often. I know nothing of the man's life however, and will remedy that soon.
Thanks

A Huge life that was dedicated to Christ, that had all the problems that many of us have, and he was strong enough, with the help of his wife to recognize and write about it. Anyone struggling through emotional issues, Mr. Phillips has some good advice and plain council.

Actually, that is the power of His writings.

Peace. :D
maintenanceman

Return to Books