The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Why Priests?

Has anyone read this by Proff Garry Willis? This fellow makEs some interesting historical observations regarding much that flows on to our times through manipulations centuries past within the Church. He says he is a Catholic but if what he says is true so much of what we consider Christianity needs to go in the trash can and be repented of with a fresh new start - back to the Bible in a BIG way. Just sayin! What do you think? Ps for those of us who are not of the sacrimantlist by persuasion there is still pleanty else to rethink according to Willis.

I would say a great AMEN! I’ve been out of the institutional church for over 10 years now because of just this truth. Way back when I first was done with it I had made the decision to search for the basics of the faith that I would have been taught if I were a disciple around 100CE and dump all the Institutional baggage of the last two millennia.

If you haven’t, a good read on the subject and not too technical is Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna.

Which Bible and why? (also which canon of scripture? Protestant, Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, etc.)?
Which perspective (i.e. Lutheran, Anglican, Pentecostal, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, etc.)?
Which local bible or community church perspective?
Which TV evangelist?
Are we preaching the “full gospel” (i.e. charismatic elements emphasized)?
Do we have a “health and prosperity” emphasize?
Should we renounce technology?
Should we be a church of peace - not war?
Which evangelical scholar or academic, is the best “expert”?
Etc.

The statement raises the same old questions, And it raises more questions then answers. All from saying “back to the bible”.

http://www.reverendfun.com/add_toon_info.php?date=19981202&language=en