The Evangelical Universalist Forum

On Being a Christian - Hans Kung

A short excerpt:
“God’s will does not waver. Nor can it be manipulated. From all that we have said hitherto…it should already have become clear that God wills nothing for himself, nothing for his own advantage, for his greater glory. God wills nothing but man’s advantage, man’s true greatness and his ultimate dignity.
This then is God’s will: man’s well-being.
From the first to the last page of the Bible, it is clear that God’s will aims at man’s well-being at all levels, aims at his definitive and comprehensive good: in biblical terms, at the salvation of man and of men. God’s will is a helpful, healing, liberating, saving will. He wills life, joy, freedom, peace, salvation, the final, great happiness of man: both of the individual and of mankind as a whole. This is the meaning of His absolute future, his victory, his kingdom, which Jesus proclaims: man’s total liberation, salvation, satisfaction, bliss.”

You can drop into this book at almost any point and find great things to think about.

I’m looking forward to read this book at some juncture, but it is a pretty huge volume isn’t it?
Dave

Around 600 pages, and then about 4,000 pages of bibliography. :smiley: I exaggerate of course, about the 4,000 pages, but man, this guy does his research.

I love a book that lets me follow its sources!