The Evangelical Universalist Forum

The Calvinist Universalist Book

This looks interesting. I just ordered me a copy.

In THE CALVINIST UNIVERSALIST, author Stephen Campana closely examines two theological schools of thought, and does an admirable job reasoning from the Scriptures to determine that there can only be one logical choice. --Gary Cottongim

Hmm – interesting. I’ve never seen this one. I’ll be looking forward to hearing what you think of it, Cole. :slight_smile:

I will keep you informed Cindy! The writer of the book does believe that everybody will be saved.

It’s not as good as “Hope Beyond Hell”. But the author says something that I would totally agree with:

The penalty for sin can’t be eternal suffering for Christ didn’t suffer forever

The penalty for sin can’t be eternal death for Christ was resurrected

I would say that what happens to those in the “Lake of Fire” is that they are destroyed (body and soul) and then resurrected. As a human, Christ died both body and soul paying the penalty for sin and then resurrected.

Cole… I understand resurrection of that which was dead, Jesus was dead; but how do you get resurrection from that which has been destroyed? Christ wasn’t “destroyed”… unless you likewise have him passing through this lake of fire you have for everyone else??

Destroyed in the sense of being killed - dead.

Glad to see a at least a few folks are talking about my book here on the forum. Thought I’d take this chance to chime in and give myself a plug. Here are a few reviews of my book for anyone who might be thinking about buying a copy.

A welcome addition to universalist literature
By Terry Schwartz on March 8, 2014
Format: Paperback
“The Calvinist Universalist” is a welcome addition to the growing body of literature dealing with the topic of universalism, the ultimate salvation of all. The book is an exceptionally well-written apologetic. Although it is scholarly, the book is accessible to a theological novice. Most writers who deal with this topic show the logical inconsistencies and Biblical contortions carried out by both Calvinism and Arminianism. But often the authors are not expert in these theological positions. The present text by Stephen Campana shows a deep, thorough understanding of Calvinism, Arminianism and Universalism. Having studied all three theologies for many years, I can affirm that although each believer would argue for his own biblical superiority, they would also have to acknowledge that their doctrines were accurately presented.
Campana makes a couple points I especially treasure. One is that Universalism and Calvinism are nearly identical except for one word in the acrostic TULIP; that is, because of God’s sovereignty, the atonement was not limited, but in fact unlimited and to such an extent that the result ends in salvation for all-in due time. (God will be All in All).
The other concept that caught my attention was that both Calvinism and Arminianism developed their theologies upside down. Instead of beginning with the love of God and His fatherhood over all mankind, it assumed hell and eternal destruction (not found in scripture when properly translated) and from this false doctrine built their theologies.
Great book-it enjoyed it.

Paradigm shift
By Maverick on October 6, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
This is a deeply thought-provoking book in which the author argues, based on passages such as Romans 8:20-21 and Romans 11:32, that a biblical view of God’s sovereignty points towards Universalism rather than traditional Calvinism. This is in my view the most accurate and exciting way to consider God’s redemptive purposes for mankind. Would have been five stars were it not for a fair few typos, and passages repeated almost verbatim (as though the book was a compilation of a series of articles).
The author certainly does justice to troublesome verses such as Isaiah 45:7, as opposed to those who merely explain it away. Seems to me that a Calvinist could legitimately embrace either Supralapsarianism or Universalism. However, the former makes God out to be a monster. Let us therefore embrace the latter! God is love. Everything else in Scripture must be understood in the light of this. Otherwise we end up very far from the truth. (Infralapsarians are neither here nor there, as the author’s “happy coincidence” model demonstrates.) There’s great subject matter here for lively discussion, prayer, and wrestling with the Scriptures.

As a Calvinist and Universalist I’m Thrilled With This Work.
By Mike Owens on October 2, 2014
Format: Paperback
EXCELLENT! - - As an author and one who has written in support of Calvinism, I found this explanation of how Calvinism and Ultimate Reconciliation contain areas of agreement, yet the contrasts are fascinating. It’s clear that a deeper understanding of God’s plan to redeem man (every individual) is more beautiful than we thought when seen from the perspective of reformed theology.
The writing style is easy to follow and clear.
With regards to the landscape of reading choices, it’s great that there are so many new books declaring the truth of God’s plan to redeem ALL. But I must say, this book is currently at the top of my list.
EVERY student of the bible should read this slowly and studiously. If read with an open mind and heart, this book will change your theology and understanding of God.

A couple Scriptures come to mind:

Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. (Jn.2:19)

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (2 Cor.5:21)

Just as the heavens and earth are destroyed with a fiery judgment but there will be a new heaven and earth.