The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Best Book for Non-universalist Evangelicals!

I just completed Steve Gregg’s “All You Want to Know About Hell, Three Views of God’s Final Solution to the Problem of Sin.” I’m in agreement with others here: All You Want to Know About Hellby Steve Gregg. I’ve long thought (and still do) that Talbott and Parry’s books offered the most thoughtful defenses of universalism. But I now think Gregg’s book would be the most effective one to share with evangelicals interested in competing views about humanity’s ultimate future.

It is the reality that most evangelicals feel deeply threatened by the paradigm change of universalism that makes me feel this would be superior for those in our evangelical tradition. Gregg offers objective accounts of the three major options about hell, followed by a balanced critique of each. He also asserts that he is not sure which view is correct. And I suspect this approach will lower evangelical’s defensiveness, especially compared to whole volumes that only argue for universalism (In a similar way, Parry’s “Current Debate” volume was instrumental in my changed persuasion, because it allowed me to see I.H. Marshall’s best exegetical critique of Talbott, as well as see how Talbott responded). For my perception is that Gregg provides a clear though condensed presentation of the universalist interpretation. Though I personally am persuaded to commit to universal reconciliation, I’d have to say that Gregg deeply grasps the major arguments related to our view, and brilliantly summarizes much of the debate.

At the least, I think this book will entice some serious though unconvinced readers to accept universalism as a view that doesn’t necessarily put one outside the evangelical camp that is seeking to be Biblical. And I suspect that for many, that would actually be the necessary foundational step before they can begin to consider personally changing their paradigm all the way from ECT to U.R. Gregg’s approach left me well impressed!

I’ve read it and it was fantastic. Like the author I remain unsure.

Yes, Bob. It is an excellent book. Steve has done an incredible amount of research, providing the best arguments he could find for each of the three views, and the best arguments against each view.

Yes, Steve is not sure which view is correct. But I think he does feel certain which view is NOT correct—the eternal torment view.
Though he has not decided between the other two views, I think he leans more toward universal reconciliation of all people to God.

Paidion,

Thanks, I appreciated your affirmation of this book on the other thread, and my impression of Gregg’s inclinations is exactly like yours (and yes indeed, he clearly perceives enormous difficulties with ECT). Thus, there’s not likely to be a writer who could sketch the universalist approach more articulately, and yet not appear to insist that one must come to share that view. I can imagine some traditionalists will then think he’s not balanced, but I was impressed that some ECT and annihilationist folk have felt that he reasonably presented their views also. I think careful readers will sense a genuine effort to present sensible critiques of the important terms and arguments. My hope is that some traditional readers will be able to see that their view is not as clearly supported as they saw, and that each view has some arguments in its favor. And then (as they perhaps come to share what we perceive as Steve’s preference for the universalist ideal), I think some may be able to move further by actually wrestling with the relative merits of the various arguments.

I agree that this book is the best book to suggest to someone who believes in ECT. It is a good introduction to the subject in a non-threatening manner.

Some people prefer listening to talks rather than reading. This is a discussion Steve has with Chris Date
rethinkinghell.com/2013/10/e … eve-gregg/

and these are 2 lectures
Three Views of Hell-1 digitalministries.us/steve_g … hell-1.mp3
Three Views of Hell-2 digitalministries.us/steve_g … hell-2.mp3

I have also recommended these to those who prefer to listen rather than read.

I have purchased 20 of these books for my church Sunday School class and others in the church interested in understanding the various perspectives on this issue. Am about to order more. I think this is the best single introductory book written to date.

Thanks Bob, I have just finished All You Want To Know About Hell on your suggestion. My thanks to his wife Dayna for her encouragement of Steve. What a great effort. Clearly in a book of this size it is not exhustive but I found it really helpful. I am going to get a few copies too. Like Steve I feel most Christians today just accept the ECT tradition unthinkingly. Last week one of our pastors made an ECT assertion and called for an amen! to it from all those gathered. Response was a little muted. Just some quiet muttering on my part. Patience my boy! Perhaps another window on the situation of the unbeliver confronted with The Risen Lord Jesus Christ (post mort or not) is the reponse of unbelieving Thomas - My Lord and My God! And from Jesus not a smite in sight just some choice words!? In Steve’s Epilogue he leaves us with a balanced underscore and turns our view to consider again the nature of our wonderfull God. :smiley:

Thanks for the heads-up on this book, Bob; sounds like a winner!

I just had another facepalm moment on Sunday morning when the pastor, while reading through and commenting on Rom. 11:32 immediately insisted, “that doesn’t mean everyone will be saved” :unamused:

I think a few copies of this book might have to find their way into what’s left of the church library.