The Evangelical Universalist Forum

A Strange Parable: GMac's "The Gray Wolf"

Hi all,

Thought it might be fun to have a discussion about George MacDonald’s strange, gothic tale…"The Gray Wolf” (1871). This is one of my favorites of his-- one I keep coming back to, largely because it is so puzzling, but with so much meaning. What that meaning is is the tricky part… It’s quite short (four pages) so, if you haven’t read it or need to refresh your memory, here’s a link to a PDF:boblyman.net/englt392/texts/GrayWolf.pdf

I would love to hear what meaning you all find in this “…spectacularly disturbing tale…”. There’s a nice commentary and discussion here, but wait until you’ve read the story before reading this:thehogshead.org/discussion-the-gray-wolf-5463/

Looking forward to your thoughts… :smiley:

Steve

Hi again,

Just back from a long hike with the dogs and was pondering this story…It all sort of fell into place during that walk and I think I now understand at least the major meaning MacDonald consciously put in this story. It all seems so simple now that I wonder why it puzzled me for so long! :smiley: The story, by the way, seems even more brilliant to me now—all the little details that make it work. I’m hoping to hear some other’s thoughts about the story before sharing my own understanding, though. :wink:

Here’s a picture from the hike today down by the Yellowstone river of one of my dogs, Brisbane. It’s been pretty cold the last few days so note the ice flowing in the river.http://i39.tinypic.com/zinam8.jpg

Steve

Love the picture!!!

Great topic, Alec! I’ll read the story again and give it some thought.

Sonia

Yeahhhh!!! :smiley: Can’t wait!

Steve

Steve,

Read the story tonight with my 12-year old son and had a fruitful discussion, but will have to wait to post more, perhaps tomorrow.

Cheers,

Caleb

Hmm . . . I read the story, thought for a bit, read the comments . . . I am not good with this kind of stuff – wish I was. Maybe by sometime tomorrow a thought will occur to me. :unamused: I read things like this that are obviously pregnant, but with what I do not know. Then months later a neuron will fire a synapse will connect and I say, “Oh yeah!” It’s often like that with jokes, too. :laughing:

:laughing: True for me and it’s taken *years *for me to figure this story out…I think for the most part, the comments at the site I linked to are way off the mark regarding the overall meaning. I do like “Mr Pond’s” description and synopsis of the story though. I will say though, the meaning I see is classic GMac and universalistic…

Steve

Yeah, I thought the comments were wide of the mark too, though Mr. Pond’s write-up was helpful. It seems that for some people everything is all about sex and sexual power, etc. I realize this is an important and prevalent theme (and probably not absent from this story, either), but I don’t think it’s central to every piece of literature ever crafted – I just don’t! :unamused: Maybe I’m wrong . . . .

Well, I certainly agree with you in this story-- though sex and seduction is an element, it’s actually pretty minor in my opinion.

Steve

I agree, Cindy! I don’t have anything to contribute yet … still thinking … :slight_smile:

Sonia

I’ll mark the story to read during my free-time between class tomorrow. In the mean time, just had to say how much I love your beautiful home and your beautiful dog!

Thanks Kate,

It was a beautiful walk! Brisbane appreciates your compliments as well… :smiley: Looking forward to your thoughts…

Steve

Ok… no thoughts so far…

I’ll prime the pump a bit and see if we can get something going. :smiley:

What do you think of the mother and what do you think of the food and drink she offers the girl and the narrator? For those who’ve read MacDonald’s fairy tales and fantasies, who does the “old woman” remind you of? Is she “good” or “evil”?

Remember, GMac likes to present certain themes and ideas in different ways throughout his work… As I see it, this is a very GMac story, only very well “camouflaged”.

Steve

I promise thoughts are coming – but, to confess, I still haven’t read it. Tuesday is my last day before break, so if not tomorrow, then sometime soon. Your thread will not die! :smiley:

We’ve seen that old woman before, haven’t we? In the Golden Key she also cooks up some fish - some interesting fish; there’s an old woman and a young daughter on the edge of the Fairlyland forest in Phantastes, as well as an Ogress in a cabin, stirring a pot perhaps, where Anodos finds his shadow.

My imagination goes in too many directions when I read tales like this, I’ll try to think about it a bit and tame the wild-flown speculations I’m sure to come up with.

There’s a bit of a North Wind tonight, maybe I’ll ask Her…

No problem, Kate! :wink:

I know you’re very busy and this shouldn’t be another “assignment” heaped upon you. If you get the time, great, if not, that’s fine as well…No worries ! :smiley:

Steve

GMac does like his “old women” it seems… :wink: Those fish in the Golden Key are interesting, I think. And who else ate “broiled fish” (not in GMac)…? :smiley:

“Broiled fish” and “Whisky” a strange meal, don’t you think? And it seems, it’s “all I’ve got”?

Steve

What’s strange about that for breakfast? Though I admit the fish is a little odd. :laughing:

OH! Okay, I get it. The fish is Christ and whiskey is called “water of life.” The old woman then – the Holy Spirit? If the daughter will only eat and drink what her mother/mentor provides, maybe she will be healed. :frowning: I wish she would. The mother uncovers her daughter’s secret to warn her guest. But why did the girl bring him to her mother in the first place?

The girl is not safe for the student (who did eat and drink) now. She would devour him; but maybe things will be better later. There she is, all alone in a barren place with no comfort offered but that which she refuses for fear of losing herself. Eventually all the small animals will be gone and perhaps she will be desperate enough to partake of life. Are the werewolves considered to be among the ‘undead’?