The Evangelical Universalist Forum

What about those who never heard? Why preach?

Mark, may i ask, what is the “logic of Romans 10:9-15”?

1. Verses 9-13 speak of how to be saved, i.e. by calling, believing etc
  2. V.14 asks how they can believe without hearing from a preacher, but gives no answer

A. No mention is made in Rom.10:9-15 of any time limit on believing.
B. Nowhere does the passage refer to a time limit on salvation (or that the opportunity for salvation can expire forever like a carton of milk. Does God’s love expire?)
C. Neither is there any reference to what happens after death.
D. Nor do those verses limit preaching to man, or exclude angels, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, etc, from preaching to those many assume never heard (while they lived in the flesh).

Mt.1:20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost. 21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Rev.14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,

So, since there is afterlife salvation, why preach? Because (1) you love the Lord Jesus (2) want to obey Him, & (3) are called to do so (4) as led by the Holy Spirit. And (5) to set the captives free as per Acts 26:18. Unlike many who consider themselves evangelists & witnesses, who repel people from Christ & whose works will be burned up.

Other people’s salvation does not depend on men preaching to them. For men are not their Saviour. And often people are saved in spite of the flawed preachers.

“Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words.” (St. Francis de Assisi)