The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Should I go to church?

Hi,

I’d like to know if someone knows the real meaning when Paul said in Hebrews 25:10 and quote, “not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day drawing nigh.”; I am studying in a christian institute and I haven´t gone to church for like a couple of months, my question is: what is wrong with that? The other day my dad, whom is in my hometown, told me that I must go for X and Y reasons putting on the table the verse mentioned before, I disagree somehow with that traditional idea of the have-to-go-to-church-or-the-devil-will-eat-you because I’ve seen myself growing more whenever I talk to my friends about faith than going to the church; maybe I am wrong. What should I do?

I hope you can help me.

Danil.

Tin tin tin tintintin

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ncl91E3Ourw

Your dad is telling you what he believes. Is he putting you through school? If he is, you might want to go merely out of respect to him and his part in your education. I don’t see attending a church as fulfilling the "forsake not the assembling of yourselves together . . . " passage. That refers (imo) to Christian community; learning to be together in love and minister to one another. Not a lot of that happens at most churches. If you can find a church like that, it would be worth your time a thousand-fold. If you can’t (unfortunately it’s very hard to find), then you’re probably better off using the time to commune with God in whichever way works best for your life.

Danil, era broma lo de arriba! Ya me conoces. I recommend you to read the book I sent you by private message!

Blessings,

Matías

I think Cindy gave great council.

The words were “exhort one another”. That doesnt mean the samething as go listen to one person for an hour and a half- but I think fellowship is important, and the loss of it can carry a price. So, even if you “go up to Jerusalem” once or twice a month to offer praise to God in the midst of a congregation of believers, you can reap a benefit and at the same time, show the wisdom of compromise. Often times people are speaking to us from the Spirit in their imperfect way. I would also continue to pray about it and see if the Lord speaks more clearly to you about it.

Thank you Cindy, I totally agree with you, as you said: That refers to Christian community; learning to be together in love and minister to one another." I think I will look at it that way from now, as a place to find people and learn together.

I think you are right in that Eaglesway, that fellowship is a totally different thing to sit and listen to one person for some hours. I think this concept has been mistaken.

Matías I will look forward to read that book, thank you too.

I hope you are doing great,

Danil.

Well said, Cindy!
Finding some people with whom you can enjoy some kind of encouragement (and also people who will receive your encouragement) and grow together is what Paul was talking about…in his day i don’t think they had much more than glorified house groups anyway!
Jesus wanted the kingdom of God…what He ended up with was the “church”. :confused:

As she also said though, if you can find one that is awesome, go for it! i was lucky enough to, but it took a few years!

Good advice, Cindy. Personally I love coorporate worship, hearing the preaching of the Word, and having an opportunity to encourage/bless others. And in large gatherings we can experience “God most high” and in small gatherings “God most nigh”.

Very good point, Sherman. :slight_smile: I love a good worship service, and it’s hard if not impossible to replicate that with a few friends.

One other aspect is that church can help in a social way…friends, socializing. Not being lonely, but don’t expect them to fulfill a need of spiritual fellowship because they won’t see things like you do. Basically, if you can’t keep your mouth shut when you hear them talk nonsense, then don’t go. If you can then it’s your choice.

:mrgreen:

In Acts it says the believers gathered together to:

1. Pray
  2. Fellowship
  3. Communion, break bread
  4. Hear the Apostles doctrine.

Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

I don’t see this as an exhaustive list, but as a good start.

This was authentic community life, not just an event to participate in. That said though, they also worshipped at the Temple which was more “event” oriented. The richest and most meaningful experience I’ve had in a local fellowship was when we did both. We met in small groups in our homes usually at least weekly and on Sunday for coorporate worship. Both were filled with love and life and empowered us to walk in love throughout our lives!

Thank you all for replying, giving me your points of view has been such a blessing to me.

:smiley:

Well said Sherman.