The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Do you stay or did you go?

What has been the church-life experience of folks who have come to the Universalist view? Have you made your position known in some way or are you biting your toungue and sitting on your hands? I’m asking because I’m not a Universalist so I honestly don’t know if it’s common for churchs to ride universalist out on a rail or if universalists find us insufferable and leave of thier own accord. Or a combination of the two.

I believe there may be a learning opportunity in the answers.

Many Protestant sites say that hell is “eternal separation from God.” The Catholics would also say this. Eastern Orthodox would say heaven and hell is inside you. The same flame of God’s love drawing people towards him, consumes those who rebel against him. Personally, I attend church each Sunday. And I won’t start this topic, unless someone brings it up - which they haven’t. Most are focused on the here and now, and how we lead Christ’s life. There could be exceptions, like what you might find in some bible churches. Not that I’m not up to discussing the topic. I don’t see a purpose in initiating a discussion. I still like the saying, “In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity.” For me, whether folks side with me on this - or not - is a non-essential. The essential is getting people into Christ’s kingdom and doing his work in the here and now. But if you wish to tell them, just say you believe in Apocatastasis - but it will take a few hours to explain. They will say it sounds great and they are too busy now with prior engagements. :smiley:

LOL That’s a good one, Randy!

I still go to church, and people know I believe something weird. I post stuff fairly often on Facebook for all to see. People sometimes argue against me, but rarely stick with the conversation for long. It seems like most people really aren’t all that interested in theology, or are content to believe that it’s all been figured out, long ago, and they’re satisfied that it should be so. Until people hunger and thirst for something, it’s rarely any use to offer it to them.

I don’t push my beliefs on people, don’t tell people the pastors are wrong (I say, “That’s the common view, but I understand that a little differently …”), don’t often talk about UR at church or at church events – not unless it somehow comes up in conversation, and then I’m very casual and brief about it. If I was different, I might very well find myself “in trouble.” LOL There have been many stories from people here of having been excommunicated, or asked to leave, or just made to feel unwelcome.

Personally, I don’t think our doctrines are as important as the day to day living out of following Jesus. It seems to me that people would follow him better if they understood UR, but maybe not everyone is ready for that – God knows. :slight_smile:

Sonia

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Perfect idea… The problem is, I have a had time saying the word without screwing it up. That is a tongue twister. But, honestly, I may start using that term.

A. Guy:

On the slim chance you live in the Denver area, there is a church that I attend that strongly believes that all will be saved through Jesus. It is The Sanctuary, pastored by Peter Hiett.

If you live somewhere else, about 10 years or more of “salvation for all through Jesus” sermons are available as video and audio and transcripts at tsdowntown.org

I can stay and be at ease—since the church I attend is one of an entire circle of fellowship where the eventual reconciliation of all to God, is believed.

:mrgreen:

When speaking with my fellow parishoners, I use universalistic language without them ever apparently noticing it. Just last Sunday during coffee hour after liturgy I mentioned several times that “Christ is the Savior of the entire cosmos, and consequently of all mankind.” Nobody blinked twice. Nobody disagreed. In fact, I received nods of agreement.

I’m sure that I would have gotten heated disagreement if I had instead said, “Nobody will spend eternity in Hell,” or “The Church Fathers were wrong who said that some people will be eternally lost.”

In a nutshell, I think that we universalists can be quite free in saying what we DO believe. Most disagreements come from saying what we do NOT believe.

Sometimes people seem to hear only what they expect to hear. There’s plenty of universalist sounding language in the Bible that people don’t seem to notice. Before people knew I was a universalist, I could say all kinds of things that they never noticed. LOL

Sonia