The Evangelical Universalist Forum

Fun Quiz: What Religion are You?

Those are very wise words, Nick-- Thank you.:slight_smile: I really like the idea of Christ covering churchless seekers, much as he would widows or orphans. None are truly alone-- whether they have no church or are sitting in a church pew but nonetheless feeling incredible solitude.

I received an email this morning from my friend, an Anglican oblate from a convent near my house, reminding me that she’d be in town tomorrow for the convent’s Evensong service. (She is a universalist, and I find it comforting that she hasn’t been excommunicated yet. :wink: ) So perhaps her note is a sign not all is lost on the the Great Church Search.:slight_smile:

Hmmm… Lot’s of us Quakers here it appears! :laughing: Interesting that Scott (another Mac-ophile) and I both come out as “Liberal Quakers”….

I do eat a lot of Quaker oats. Maybe you ARE what you eat! :slight_smile:

That reminds me, Steve-- I’ve been reading tons of GMac lately, and he is just awesome. Just wanted to share that with another fan.:slight_smile: Have you ever read “George MacDonald: An Anthology of 365 Readings?” I am at the moment, and it’s wonderful! All the quotes were compiled by C.S. Lewis, and Lewis writes a fantastic prologue,too.

I think the reason they tag so many of us as Quakers is because it is one of the few denominations that affirms UR.

I was looking up information about Quaker Friends and their meetings. I’m fascinated by what they call ‘unprogrammed’ meetings. Really does sound like my cup of tea. So of course I come to this board, which is one of my favorites to lurk around, and type in ‘Quaker’ to see if any other people who lean close to UR have posted their thoughts about Quakers… anywho, this thread popped up first and I took the quiz and landed with orthodox Quaker too hehe.

Huh, I’d never gotten around to taking the quiz…

To the surprise of no one anywhere, I’m “Conservative Christian Protestant”. :laughing:

The Politic-O-Matic might be more surprising; I took a similar net quiz (quite detailed) back, oh, before 2005 as I recall, after a friend mentioned it, and to her (and my) great amusement it ranked me moderately left of center. :wink:

I pointed out that I, at least, shouldn’t have been surprised at this, since I line up with Lewis strongly, and his notion of ideal Christianity was moderately strongly ‘social left’ on the kinds of issues the poli-quiz was mostly asking about. Had other questions been asked it would have ranked me moderately strongly ‘social right’ instead.

Hmmmm… I had you pegged as a neo-pomo-post-lateran, Nuwaubianist, Church of Euthanasia, Prince-Philip-Movement, Church of All Worlds type of guy. I was close, I guess, but did not nail it… :laughing:

Other than one viral post I did a few years ago, claiming that you are a Raëlian, I have not further elaborated on it, and in fact I do not now think that you are a member of that sect. I will not retract the post, of course, as I want to protect MY reputation, at least… :sunglasses:

:laughing:

I’m sure I would count as a Guthsalvarist / Forkist, so far as that isn’t a fictional religion. :mrgreen:

I don’t suppose anyone having taken the test will be surprised to hear it rated me 99% Orthodox Quaker. :unamused:

The next two highest points seemed more accurate: RCC 83%, EOx 78%. SDA at 75% might seem surprising, but that’s doubtless due to its connections to Southern Baptism. Baptistry? Huh… how does one describe the Convention in that grammatic form…

I am however very surprised it ranked me higher in liberal Protestantism and Muslim (63% and 61%) than Orthodox Judaism (53%). :confused:

No Way!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/shocked/big-surprise-smiley-emoticon.gifhttp://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/ugly-man-laugh-smiley-emoticon.gif

I’m fairly certain I took this quiz a good while back and it said I was a Quaker, but I did it again now and it said I was a Conservative Christian Protestant.

I bloody hate labels anyway

Another Orthodox Quaker here, apparently. :slight_smile:

Which kind of fits, actually, as my wife and I are feeling drawn to attend a local Friends church these days – but I also feel drawn to the High Mass liturgy of the Anglican church we visited. Any Anglican Quaker churches out there? lol :slight_smile:

Tangential question: would a Friends church mind if a regular attender also went elsewhere now and then to partake of the Eucharist (since they don’t practice any outward ritual in that regard)? And would an Anglican church be accepting of someone who was a regular attender at a Friends church coming through now and then to participate in the Eucharist and the liturgical worship? Or would one not be allowed into the closed communion in that case? I have a hunger for both the liturgical high church worship and the humble, quiet, spontaneous worship of the Friends. (I also have a deep appreciation for the focus on Christ’s Love and peace among Friends.)

Micah, our expert in those things hasn’t been active much lately, but I’m sure he’d talk to you. I’ll tag him [tag]Sobornost[/tag]

Ah, thanks, Cindy! Would be curious to hear his thoughts.

Actually, I used to attend Quaker meetings that sit in silence for years. Then I migrated to the liturgical worship shared by Lutherans, Anglicans, Earthen Orthodox and Catholics - via the Anglican rite. There should be no conflict. All the Christian mystics of Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox backgrounds, began their journeys in the sacred Quaker silence - which George Fox did also.

Hi, Randy – that’s very encouraging to consider the connections between Quaker and orthodox modes of worship you and others have drawn, on your journeys.

One thing I’m wondering is: once you have been confirmed in an Anglican church to be able to participate in the closed communion, does this mean you can do so in any other Anglican church? Or do you have to be confirmed at each and every Anglican church you might visit (i.e. be on that particular church’s ‘approved’ list) in order to participate at each?

My understanding of the Church of England is that it is open communion. It’s true in the Episcopal Church, which has taken a very liberal theological stance. It’s also true of conservative Anglican churches, which usually affiliate with conservative dioceses in Canada, Africa and South America.

In fact, a Wiki article on Open Communion says this:

However,there are some Roman Catholic churches that practice the Anglican rite - that’s closed communion. This is usually started by an Anglican priest converting to Catholicism.

Yes, there are exceptions. I did look at the Wiki article Close Communion and under the category “other groups”, it did mention “some Anglicans”. So since I grew up in The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, let me answer from their perspective. If I was confirmed in their church - which I was - I can go to another Missouri Synod church and receive communion, as long as I’m an active member of church A. But the presiding clergy might want to verify my standing in church A first. If I go to a Lutheran Church in the ELCA, it’s not a problem, since they practice open communion. In your case, you would have no problems in most other Anglican churches - as most practice open communion. The Anglican Churches that practice closed communion don’t have a consistent doctrine, like the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod does. It would need to be addressed on a case by case basis, with the visiting church clergy practicing closed communion. While I’m Anglican, I do occasionally visit ELCA Lutheran Churches and receive communion - although I don’t agree with all their theological directions. If the original Anglican Church has objections to receiving communion in other Anglican Churches, I would raise questions. Especially since as an active Lutheran -Missouri Synod, Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox church member, I can receive communion in related churches - due to church membership and theological doctrine consistencies.

Does this answer your question, Micah?

Yes, that’s very helpful. Thanks again, Randy! Am intrigued with exploring these things further.

I took a similar quiz a long time ago and they assigned percentages for different denominations but my highest percentage was Orthodox Quaker…so maybe universalists are modern day Quakers?

lol…